Re: 3D Spot

by ragnarok013

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@ragnarok013I think that Dice really wanted the spotting to be changed/gone.

BF4 was the 'pinnacle' of 3D/Minimap-spotting, BF1 reduced spotting a lot and BFV took this even further.

3D/minimap-spot solves some problems, but it is still a flawed mechanic and feels cheap in a lot of ways (way more than sniper-glint and other 'strange' game-play balancing features)

Message 31 of 41 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]

@cso7777 wrote:

@ragnarok013I think that Dice really wanted the spotting to be changed/gone.

BF4 was the 'pinnacle' of 3D/Minimap-spotting, BF1 reduced spotting a lot and BFV took this even further.

3D/minimap-spot solves some problems, but it is still a flawed mechanic and feels cheap in a lot of ways (way more than sniper-glint and other 'strange' game-play balancing features)

@cso7777 3D spotting is actually a realistic mechanic for the 2042 time frame. Back in the early 2000s the US Army fielded Force XXI, so when I lased a target in my M1A2SEP Abrams it immediately showed up on the Battalion's digital mini-maps and on all of the tanks and HQs tents mini-maps in my unit as well. The Army also had an infantry versions of the system they were working on and had small unit combat trials with them in Iraq that did the same thing via a wrist display and Google glass looking eye piece display. By 2042 those systems will probably be perfected and fielded to the big Army.

Now whether 3D spotting is a positive or negative mechanic is an entirely different discussion. You know that I think it's a positive because it simulate radio spot reports between squads, companies, and larger units and provides actual useful actionable information  (and that is the intended function of a spot report) unlike Battlefield 2's audio spot system where you heard 1000 repeating "Enemy boat spotted" reports with no location. BF2's system made you want to jump off of a cliff and Ping systems are just inaccurate and low return on investment. Also recall the number of threads on Battlelog lamenting "Nobody every spots!" so the 3D spotting mechanic was never over used, in fact one could say it was highly underused by all but the most hard core Battlefield players.

Frankly I don't care if DICE wanted to move away from 3D spotting as they have a documented track record of wanting to pursue concepts that harm the core Battlefield gameplay experience like attrition, multiple unwanted TTK changes in BF5, making us grind Tides of war assignments doing tasks that run in direct opposition to PTFOing, Elites, moving away from Premium, and killing Battlelog and procon/rcon. One thing I've repeatedly seen from my interactions with DICE personnel is how they "think" the community plays Battlefield is entirely different than how the community "actually" plays Battlefield so many of their decisions are based on bad information and their internal play tests suffer greatly from confirmation bias of their own ideas. This is precisely why long term community play tests and CTE is so vital for Battlefield development as well as devs actually playing on a long term basis with the community.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 32 of 41 (491 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Removal of 3D spotting just promoted slow and boring defensive gameplay where everybody just camps and is afraid to move.

Here's a video of the US military trying out their new AI enhanced night vision goggles. It looks like they're using wall hack cheats.

These goggles give them such a huge advantage over the enemy at night.

Title

https://youtu.be/5eWpjUOLR0w

Message 33 of 41 (469 Views)

★★ Pro

Personally, I was glad to see the back of 3D spotting. Its a different game if you spend your time spamming the Q key for targets. But, wondering if Dice have something else up their sleeve.... see my post

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/LEDs-on-K30-SMG-in-gameplay-trailer/m-p/10443850/highli... 

Message 34 of 41 (462 Views)

★★★ Guide

Yeah, they have done a lot of bad decisions in the past few years, just to get some players interested which leave before spending a cent on their microtransactions. 

Message 35 of 41 (458 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@ragnarok013Whilst I may disagree with some of your examples, your overall point is spot on!

I also wonder how much youtubers and the game changer programme influences those design choices.

Message 36 of 41 (451 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Trokey66 wrote:

@ragnarok013Whilst I may disagree with some of your examples, your overall point is spot on!

I also wonder how much youtubers and the game changer programme influences those design choices.

Thank you @Trokey66  I really appreciate the sentiment.

Regarding Game Changers I've spoken with quite a few and the sentiment from them is that they aren't listened to all that often. The Game Changer program's name should really be changed to reflect their actual role as it's been communicated to me, which would be "Community Marketing". 

I think DICE only listen to YouTubers (and there is a lot of crossover with them and Game Changers) when it becomes a deafening roar of rebellion across the community like with the BF5 TTK changes. Youtubers can help shape perception which can work for or against DICE's aims.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 37 of 41 (414 Views)

★★★ Novice

+1 for bringing 3D spotting back.

Message 38 of 41 (312 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Numbcall i hate 3d spots dude, i feel like i am spotted constantly and WHOLE enemy team start shooting at me!
Message 39 of 41 (152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Numbcall
Yes I want my dorritos.
Both BFV and BF2042 before the Doritos have proven that it is hard to see people otherwise.

The textures are too overloaded with details and make it easy for the enemy to be lost in the terrain.

So lets please stop the cycle of only realizing we miss something only after it is gone.

Message 40 of 41 (144 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help