Re: 21:9 and above support

by MKh501

Original Post

21:9 and above support

★ Guide

Will Squadrons offer native support for the 21:9 (and above) aspect ratio, or will the game have a zoomed perspective that is seen in many current titles at the moment?

My concern is that if the game provides a zoomed experience, there may be a risk of cutting valuable data in the fixed cockpit.

Of course, this being a modern title, I am of the trust that it would natively support a true 21:9 experience, but sadly this is far from a guarantee in the current gaming environment (see some competitive FPS titles), and as an ultrawide user the zoomed effect greatly diminishes the immersion and experience.

Message 1 of 14 (3,211 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@NathTensent I'll mainly be using VR to play this, but I'd love to see wide monitor support. A game like this it would be great, and even give an extra advantage, even for people with multi-monitors.
Message 2 of 14 (3,199 Views)

★ Guide

@NathTensent I have the same question as I'll receive my new Samsung G9 the coming week. This is a 32:9 monitor and I'd love some confirmation from the dev team on this topic.

Message 3 of 14 (3,178 Views)

★ Guide

I would like to know this as well. 

@Straatford87 Will the game support Ultrawide monitors?

Message 4 of 14 (3,021 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@NathTensent 

Hello there! 

I suppose the Star Wars Squadrons support 21:9 settings, but as you mentioned, it would not be fully officially supported.

As the reference...

Link to Jedi Fallen Order Case 

@Straatford87 @EA_Lanna @EA_Atic 

Please point me if I am wrong. Thinking

Message 5 of 14 (2,999 Views)

★ Guide
@Sati_Sati If the solution is as is with Fallen Order (to place black borders on cutscenes) I could handle that. It is something us ultrawide users learn to deal with. I have a fear that it won't be supported during gameplay though. A great number of competitive FPS titles don't fully support it, instead opting to zoom in the screen for an emulated effect. This is very noticeable and a terrible experience.

Fortunately this wasn't the case with Fallen Order. I am hopeful that 21:9 and 32:9 will be fully supported, but I guess this is where we play the wait and see game.
Message 6 of 14 (2,951 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Considering this is a multiplayer competitive game, I'm pretty sure the devs don't want to give a competitive advantage to people playing with wider monitors.  If I were to *guess*, should they be supported, the wider monitors would just show you more of the cockpit walls, not give you an advantage over others with 16:9 by allowing you to see more enemies to the side.  But it's just a guess.

Message 7 of 14 (2,934 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am playing at 5760x1080 resolution (16:3 aspect ratio) and it works great.

My setup is three 1080p displays combined into one using AMD Eyefinity, but I imagine it would also work just as well with a single physical display at similarly wide resolutions.

Message 8 of 14 (2,478 Views)

★ Novice
@Merglet sad to burst your bubble but faster refresh rates offer more information than wider screen, going 16:9 to 21:9 increases your fov (that can be just properly coded into game) by roughly 35%, while having 120hz display just doubles information you see. How is one still being regarded as "cheating" while other is fine and if you cant afford higher end display "just deal with it"?
Message 9 of 14 (1,983 Views)

★★ Guide
@NathTensent I don’t know what you’re referring to; I have a 31:9 40” monitor and it’s perfect in all game modes. Nothing is ‘zoomed’ or stretched. Aren’t you picking ‘full screen’ in the screen options?
Message 10 of 14 (1,925 Views)