Re: 1ST BASE FINISHES

by ToastedSarnie

Original Post

1ST BASE FINISHES

★★★★★ Expert

Does anybody hate 1st base finishes as much as I do, regardless of whether you're on the winning team or not?

It's always happened but if you're the attacking team it's no fun at at all being confronted by a team of Oaks & Night Caps or Engineers & Brainz and the game finishing before it really starts.

And I hate it just as much if I'm on the defending team - often you only manage to get any xp if you're playing a frontline character & there's no chance of building up decent coins.

I would love there to be some sort of change to help the attacking team have a reasonable chance capping just the 1st base!

Maybe the attacking team could have a bigger extended safe area, or the defending team have an out-of-bounds to prevent them getting too close to the other teams spawn? Or a simple time difference allowing the attacking team to leave their safe area earlier than the opposition?

What do people think?? 

Message 1 of 9 (402 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

That first base in Peachy District needs to be looked at. I've rarely seen it taken as either side so it needs to be looked at. Sometimes it's just a vast disparity in the skills of the teams but when the same point is almost never taken as either attacker or defender, there's a problem with the map itself.

Spawn camping should either never be possible at all, or should be strongly discouraged. It's been a problem in other games too, back in TF2 there's a map called 2 Fort that I played a lot and I've been on teams where some people went out as demo men and planted bombs all over the enemy spawn and every time they tried to rush out, they'd blow them up. Needless to say that wasn't a fun experience for the enemy team or even for me as I never like 'pub stomping' on either end. Protecting the spawn better would also make for greater chances for the attackers to get out and take stuff instead of always having to deal with campers.

Message 2 of 9 (362 Views)

★★★ Expert
@ToastedSarnie Undestroyable Bots or plants that one shot every enemy that comes to close to the spawn point seems like a legit solution.
Message 3 of 9 (358 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@ippig And that also fire at team-mates who don't move towards the objective in overtime would be fun!!!
Message 4 of 9 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@ToastedSarnieKick their * into the objective

Edit: even better: Dr. Zomboss or Crazy Dave doing this job :D

Message 5 of 9 (348 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@ippig 😂
Message 6 of 9 (335 Views)

★★ Guide

The first bases are always what take them the longest to balance. It was the same for GW2. Turf Takeover is at its best after they've balanced it so each side wins about 50% of the time, but is also set up so good squad can still crush it. 

I'm pretty sure in GW2 there was one map that I didn't see the ending of for about a month. So this game is already slightly more balanced that GW2 was off the bat. 

Message 7 of 9 (327 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Iron_Guard8 You're right, that map is the worst & I thought they were trying to do away with those sort of bottlenecks.
It's understandable to an extent, for example to try to prevent the teleporter being built in GW2, but I don't like repeatedly stopping the other team advancing right from the start of the game.
It's just frustrating or boring for the majority of the players in both teams
Message 8 of 9 (323 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@newbebop I agree it's a tricky thing to balance & a lot depends more on the players than necessarily the map design (Peachy District aside). BFN did seem 50-50 at first, but the last few days I've had so many games end at the beginning. Stopped playing last night after about 5 in a row, but maybe I've just been very unlucky with the lobbies!
Message 9 of 9 (312 Views)