Re: 15GB Update

by Wingmannedbro

Original Post

15GB Update

★★ Pro

So by the time i'm making this post, i'm updating Apex and i'm shook it's 15GB update, what are the major changes really?

Message 1 of 13 (990 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@bosourd You have 15, I had 26,5. Still shook? XD
Message 2 of 13 (971 Views)

★★ Pro
@Koochi-Q how did that happen lol
Message 3 of 13 (968 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@bosourd Xbox Logic xD. Consoles have 20+ and pc had around 15...

If large updates are in place, it’s map changes usually. This time map changes + patches and all kinds of other sweet stuff... quite a big update
Message 4 of 13 (962 Views)

★★ Expert

@bosourd 

Not sure yet..ben dl'ing all morning...Raised eyebrow

Heart

Message 5 of 13 (928 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@bosourd 

You can read the reason here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Get-ready-for-Season-2/m-p/7990528#M32306

Patch Size
We also wanted to give a heads up before Season 2 starts tomorrow that the update will be a pretty big download. Below are the estimates for the update you'll need to download tomorrow for Season 2:

• X1 and PS4: 20+ GB

• PC: 18+ GB

Why is this patch so large?

As we continue to work on Apex, we add content and code to the game. We also find improvements that make existing content fit in less space or get processed faster, which means the way we store the content changes, making it effectively 'new' content. When we ship a patch, usually we deliver this new content in additional files that sit alongside the files we originally shipped with, so updates are as small as possible for our players.

However, the cost for this is that outdated content remains alongside the new content, growing over time. New players still have to download it to start playing, and all players must keep it on their disks. To pay down this cost, periodically we make a fresh build of the game, with outdated content removed, so the game is faster for new players to download, more efficient, and takes up less hard drive space for everybody.

Will all future updates huge downloads like this?

The short answer is "no" but there will occasionally be cases in the future where large updates will need to happen. When that's the case we'll let you know.

Message 6 of 13 (924 Views)

★ Guide

PC players re-downloaded the entire map and all the textures again. Texture files are rather large these days. 

This pc_all.opt.starpak is the largest file in the Apex folder.  The next largest is the Audio folder, but the entire folder is only 1,2 GB

Console players re-downloaded the entire game again. 

Annotation 2019-07-03 005425.png

Message 7 of 13 (907 Views)

★★★ Expert

@unferthington wrote:

PC players re-downloaded the entire map and all the textures again. Texture files are rather large these days. 

This pc_all.opt.starpak is the largest file in the Apex folder.  The next largest is the Audio folder, but the entire folder is only 1,2 GB

Console players re-downloaded the entire game again. 

Annotation 2019-07-03 005425.png

PS4 player here.

My update was only 7.5 GB.

Message 8 of 13 (896 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Wingmannedbro 7.5GB for me to on ps4
Message 9 of 13 (809 Views)

★★★★ Novice

this happens every season of APEX
I download the update which is