Re: the sims 4 - freezes and continuous errors

by PugLove888

Original Post

the sims 4 - freezes and continuous errors

★★★ Newbie

Hi Guys,

I do really like this game and I have been playing for some years now. I started to notice, in the past 6/9 months that the game freezes continuously. The time in the game proceeds normally, while my sims are there and blocked and can not perform any action. Then they unfreeze and start to do some tasks, then they again freeze and just stare blankly at something. Or one sim in the lot doesn't do any of the actions they are commanded, I found that moving them out of the unit and then back, allows to solve the issue, but then the issue repeats itself with another sim in the family!

Today I really wanted to play... after TEN MINUTES I gave up, as my sims were constantly blocked and froze. It really annoys me. My computer though fulfills all the requirements. But it's not a matter of computer, in each computer I've been playing it does ALWAYS the same things. It really annoys me, since I've spent so much money, I would expect a high standard product. The sims 2 was perfectly working in my computer and never had a glitch! I would understand if it's frozen for a couple of seconds (I understand that all the weather effects like rain/thunders/snow take up time and ram to be charged in the game, all the neighboor sims passing by...) but this went on MINUTES. 

I am really tired and fed up with the game, seriously! I was playing the sims 2 FOR A DECADE and never had any issue, while the sims 4... OMG I could write a book! Also, I find rather annoying that my sims are peeing themselves in front of the toilet, fainting in front of the bed... I understand once in a while that it happens, but it's happening constantly. Teenagers as well they are ONLY SLEEPING ALL DAY LONG, THE OLD PEOPLE ARE PEEING THEMSELVES IN FRONT OF TOILETS... ok I understand that also in real life it happens, but that's the only thing they do.

What should I do? I am currently using my computer JUST FOR PLAYING. I only have the browser in it and office, nothing else. Is there a workaround to make the game smoother? Or should I just quit playing?

Thank you

Message 1 of 3 (384 Views)

@giuliale0  As a test, please move your entire Sims 4 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game, which will create a clean folder with no content, and test a new save.  Let me know whether you see the same behavior from your new sims.  If there's an improvement, then the problem is something in your old game folder, and this becomes a matter of sorting it out.

If TS4 still lags in a clean folder, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Alternately, if you happen to be on a Mac, please list its specs, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (361 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I just posted this right after @puzzlezaddict posted. Oops Please do all of her suggestions first! 

@giuliale0, your experience with TS4 lately sounds like my entire experience with TS3! ShockedDisappointedDevil  I know how frustrating this can be!  

Does this same thing happen when you play another Save Game?  Wondering  Older Saves often will develop a lot of glitches -- the longer the save is played, the more likely weird stuff will happen. Raised eyebrow

Also, my game acts weird if I have a lot of browser windows open... the whole computer will run slow and my game creeps along and I get the old TS3 anger that I always had.Angry  So, I've been closing browser windows to prevent this and my game always runs smooth! Standard smile

You could try to adjust your settings.  Sometimes the graphics settings are set too high for certain computers.  In your game where you usually save your game (the 3 dots in the upper right corner called "Options Menu") you can click on that and then click on "Game Options"  which should put you in the "Graphics" tab.  You can check to see what all your graphics settings are set at and change them if they are too high. Angel 

You could try clearing all your cache files, including the localthumbcache  and then try repairing your game through Origin.  After deleting your cache files, log in to Origin and go to your Library and Right-click on The Sims 4 and choose the option to "Repair Game" .  Wait for it to fix all the packs you own and not just the base game. 

Also, do you happen to play with any Mods or Custom Content (CC)0?  Wondering  If you do you might have an outdated Mod or CC item.  To find if this is the case is similar to clearing your cache files and repairing you game but with a few more steps.  If you use Mods/CC please do the following:

1) Move the Mods Folder to your desktop

2) Delete localthumbcache.package file in the game folder.

3) Fix you game in Origin by logging in and go to Library, then right-click on The Sims 4 and choose the "Repair Game" option from the list.  Wait until Origin finishes repairing all your packs and not just the base game.

4) Now, when you turn on your game again, it will create a new mods folder that will be empty.  Check to see if your game is now working without mods/CC.

5) Now you can try adding back items from your Mods folder one at a time checking your game each time to see which item is causing your game to not work properly.  If you have a lot of items, you can try the 50/50 Method. 

The CC creators will usually update the CC items and Mods after these updates, so when you find out which one is the culprit, you can get the updated version from whoever made that item of CC in the first place.  You should try these steps anytime you have problems in your game to rule out CC/Mods problems.  It is the responsibility of the Mods/CC creators to update their items anytime EA releases a patch/update, and it is the responsibility of the people who use Mods/CC to make sure they are using the most recent version. 

If you don't use Mods or CC then just clear you cache and repair your game. Angel

Also, what kind of computer are you playing on?Wondering

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (359 Views)