story mode needs to be more accessible

by Krystalovely

Original Post

story mode needs to be more accessible

★★ Novice

So I spent 5 days making my sims with the perfect storymode made for it to just not save to my library? why isn't this just an addable option at any time, so I don't waste 5 days of my life for no reason...

Message 1 of 12 (603 Views)

Re: story mode needs to be more accessible

Champion

@Krystalovely, I'm sorry this happened to you! Disappointed  I agree that there should be a button when you reenter CAS that can save to your Library not only your Sims' appearance, but any skills, traits, or jobs your Sims acquire though Story Mode! 

Hopefully after this experience you will remember to save your household before leaving CAS after creating your Sims! Fingers crossed  And hopefully they will fix this and add some way to save all aspects that a Sim is assigned in Story Mode! Angel

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 12 (570 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Krystalovely I don't understand, I just did it myself and it saved to my library just fine. I even went into play mode, hit F4 and it was saved there. I re-entered cas with the sim and I was able to change everything.

Have you checked for bad mods?
Message 3 of 12 (552 Views)

Champion

@Psychotps, unless I'm mistaken, what @Krystalovely meant is that they forgot to save the household to the library when creating them, and then thought about it later and couldn't save them with any their jobs and money that they acquired thought Story Mode.  

I thought that they wouldn't have their jobs saved either if they tried to make a copy of their household in CAS later after playing them some.... but it turns out that all of the aspects you acquire in Story Mode will copy at any time , except for the initial funds your household is given! :eahigh_file:  So this saving feature functions with Story Mode just like it does without Story Mode. Standard smile

So, my advice to @Krystalovely is (unless you accidentally deleted the household you worked so hard to create with Story Mode) to go and load that household and then go into CAS by clicking on a wardrobe or dresser and then choose "Plan Outfits". This will bring you into CAS where you can make any changes if you want to. Then in the top right-hand corner click on the button with a picture of an arrow going down into a folder (called "Save Household").  That will bring you into a box that allows you to take their picture and enter any info about them -- from there in the bottom right corner click on the button that says "Save Household to My Library" (it looks like a tray with an arrow pointing down into it.) And it will save your household into your library with everything you acquired in Story Mode with the exception of the starting funds.Angel

My Sim has a few skills, a job in the Culinary profession a few levels up, and high starting funds that I got all from Story Mode.  When I copied her household to my Library, everything was retained except  of the higher funds she should have received to start out with, she had the normal amount.  This can easily be fixed with a money cheat :

Bring up the Cheat Box by pressing "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "C" at the same time and then in the cheat box you can type "kaching" (without the quotes) and then press enter or type "rosebud" without the quotes and then press "Enter".  Either one of these cheats will give you 1,000 Simoleans and you can cheat a few thousand to have your Sim start with any extra funds that didn't' transfer in the copying process, (if you Sim got higher starting funds in Story Mode). Wink

Message 4 of 12 (542 Views)

★★★★ Expert

One of the more annoying things I found about TS4 is the fact that you can't NOT save it to the library. If you create a sim in CAS, it ALWAYS saves it to the library. I actually wish that was a feature I could turn OFF because I'm frequently having to go through my library and deleting all the sims I created but don't care to keep.

I don't see how this player could create a sim and not have it save. It ALWAYS saves. So, there must be a mod interfering.

I actually want to know what mod that IS because I'm going to put it in my game. Maybe it'll stop my game from constantly saving EVERY SINGLE sim to my library.

Message 5 of 12 (528 Views)

★★ Guide
@Krystalovely If you enter the following cheats in the order below:

1) testingcheats true
2) cas.fulleditmode

Then right click on a Sim from that household, “Edit in CAS”, you can save the family into your library.
Message 6 of 12 (524 Views)

Champion

@hestiah23, & @Krystalovely , you don't have to use cheats to save the household to your library.  This can be done in CAS without any cheats, as I explained above. Wink

Message 7 of 12 (513 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

No what I meant was I saved my family multiple times to the library over 5 days while creating them but the new story mode feature did not save the stories I had for each sim. What should be available is to add story after you've finished creating sims not only as an initial option. Thanks everyone. 

Sorry just to clarify I mean when creating sims in CAS save to library then new game edit the saved family to continue creating and so on. Did not save the story I created the sims with to the library save. As when you create new SIM story mode option. 

Message 8 of 12 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@KrystalovelyOh! {cue light bulb appearing overhead} I see, Unfortunately I don't think the "story" panels last beyond the initial creation.

I think your only option would be to screen-shot it before you leave CAS.

I think keeping the story at least viewable or recorded somewhere, in the character panel maybe, would be a good idea.

Message 9 of 12 (492 Views)

Champion

@Krystalovely, sorry about that! OopsEmbarrassed   I guess we didn't understand because we are talking about Story Mode and the story text within Story Mode! Large smile  

Yes, it would be nice to be able to save whatever text we give to our Sims for their background story!  I would try to do what @Psychotps  suggested with taking a picture or screenshot.  The only other thing I can think of is to either write down your story on paper first, or write it up in Word , or a similar word processing program so you always have that information saved ! Angel

Message 10 of 12 (474 Views)