Re: roof is missing

by RandomixCat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

roof is missing

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, there's this issue happening when I tried to rotate my lot in the game. I was wondering if anybody else has this issue and how I can solve it?

Message 1 of 4 (4,699 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Champion

@RandomixCat That sounds/looks very frustrating. Sorry for your troubles! Personally, I've had hit-and-miss results and happiness with 'rotating the lot', so I don't usually do it.

I'm looking at your posted screenshot, and it looks like the view when you rotate and have not yet placed, if memory serves? From the outlines I see in the image I'm guessing a few factors may be going on?:

• It seems that some of the building(s) on the lot are near the edge of the lot?
  • You have added height-type terrain?

If these two things are true, I'm not sure how relevant the following may be (as I have not had the issue where the roof was stripped when moving), but I would guess these may be factors in what you're facing with the roof. Maybe. Personally, I've noticed a couple of issues on lots when building then placing elsewhere, as part of my 'playtesting' for my builds is to test if they place properly from the gallery.:

• When rotating or repositioning a lot within the lot, when I placed a build with a 'sunken' living room or dining room area, the content of that area was partially deleted or entirely deleted depending on what I was doing. 
  • I have one lot that I used terrain height on, and there are several ways that I found it can be fidgety to work with. Placement and movement of the lot is one of them. I built this home ('Pet Lovers Family Home') and landscaping in a manner that used the entire lot up to the edge, and it was fenced in all the way around. I notice these dynamics when placing:
    When I place the lot/build on a larger lot a number of items are deleted.
    → When I place the lot/build on a lot of the same dimensions as the original but not into the same original lot space, no items are deleted, but there is a very slight jump/adjustment that is apparent in the fact that the 'dirt' areas I added/painted around the base of the foundation, trees, etc. is slightly off/showing a gap.
    → If I place the lot into a different game's version of the same lot space where it was built (Brindleton Bay, Heckling lot), it places perfectly with no effect to the terrain/'dirt' areas.

My working hypothesis is that if terrain height tools are used at the edge of the lot (in other words, if you altered the pitch of the earth, even if it's slight, near or maybe just at the outer edge of the lot, this may be effecting placement into a lot with any variations to the adjacent land?

Also, if you used MOO or if you 'manually' resized items (made larger or smaller with command/control+bracket), it may be possible this is effecting moving and placing if either of these were done in an area that touched or came near the roof? There are various issues these can cause that you need to watch for.

Not sure if any of this will be helpful to share, but there it is... Hope something is useful. Standard smile

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (4,683 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion

@RandomixCat That sounds/looks very frustrating. Sorry for your troubles! Personally, I've had hit-and-miss results and happiness with 'rotating the lot', so I don't usually do it.

I'm looking at your posted screenshot, and it looks like the view when you rotate and have not yet placed, if memory serves? From the outlines I see in the image I'm guessing a few factors may be going on?:

• It seems that some of the building(s) on the lot are near the edge of the lot?
  • You have added height-type terrain?

If these two things are true, I'm not sure how relevant the following may be (as I have not had the issue where the roof was stripped when moving), but I would guess these may be factors in what you're facing with the roof. Maybe. Personally, I've noticed a couple of issues on lots when building then placing elsewhere, as part of my 'playtesting' for my builds is to test if they place properly from the gallery.:

• When rotating or repositioning a lot within the lot, when I placed a build with a 'sunken' living room or dining room area, the content of that area was partially deleted or entirely deleted depending on what I was doing. 
  • I have one lot that I used terrain height on, and there are several ways that I found it can be fidgety to work with. Placement and movement of the lot is one of them. I built this home ('Pet Lovers Family Home') and landscaping in a manner that used the entire lot up to the edge, and it was fenced in all the way around. I notice these dynamics when placing:
    When I place the lot/build on a larger lot a number of items are deleted.
    → When I place the lot/build on a lot of the same dimensions as the original but not into the same original lot space, no items are deleted, but there is a very slight jump/adjustment that is apparent in the fact that the 'dirt' areas I added/painted around the base of the foundation, trees, etc. is slightly off/showing a gap.
    → If I place the lot into a different game's version of the same lot space where it was built (Brindleton Bay, Heckling lot), it places perfectly with no effect to the terrain/'dirt' areas.

My working hypothesis is that if terrain height tools are used at the edge of the lot (in other words, if you altered the pitch of the earth, even if it's slight, near or maybe just at the outer edge of the lot, this may be effecting placement into a lot with any variations to the adjacent land?

Also, if you used MOO or if you 'manually' resized items (made larger or smaller with command/control+bracket), it may be possible this is effecting moving and placing if either of these were done in an area that touched or came near the roof? There are various issues these can cause that you need to watch for.

Not sure if any of this will be helpful to share, but there it is... Hope something is useful. Standard smile

Message 2 of 4 (4,684 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, I'm glad that there's a solution for this issue! The problem did in fact happen due to the terrain manipulation. I flattened the terrain around the edge of the lot and now I can the rotate the lot again. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4 (4,656 Views)

Champion

@RandomixCat I am so happy to hear that! And I'm thrilled you were able to rotate it successfully with this adjustment! I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones adjusting to the nuances of the terrain manipulation tools, so it helps us all out to share. Have fun with your 'new' lot... Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (4,644 Views)