Re: What would be the best mid-budget computer for Sims 4?

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

What would be the best mid-budget computer for Sims 4?

★★ Novice

The basic question is, of course, on the tin.

Other information applicable to this topic will follow.

--

I'm looking to buy a laptop to dedicate completely to Sims 4 and Expansions. Eventually, I'd like to collect most or all expansions, but beyond Sims content, I don't have other plans for this prospective computer. It will be the Sims computer for myself and my sibling (we are adult and latter teens Sims players, so the computer wouldn't be overly at-risk of a young gamer's misadventures, either).

I'd like to keep the computer at or around $500USD and above minimum requirements. (I don't know if I'll be able to cover the suggested requirements, but I'd definitely like a computer that runs Sims 4 efficiently.)

I've been trying to research laptops for Sims 4, but can't seem to find a definitive answer for the money-conscious gamer looking to play Sims and only Sims on a laptop.

--

(My primarily gaming system is a PS4, so this non-desire to put other games on the laptop in question won't change -- if that changes any part of suggestions being made.)

--

Thank you for your time and suggestions, I look forward t hearing from folks.

Message 1 of 8 (1,108 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Look for specs like these:

High end

CPU = Intel I5/I7 generation 7 or better AMD Ryzen 8 or better
RAM = 8GB DDR4 or more
HDD = 250GB SSD with secondary HDD for storage.
Graphics = Geforce 1060 6GB or equivalent AMD card

Budget

CPU = Intel I5/I7 generation 5 or better I3 generation 8 AMD Ryzen 5 or better
RAM = 8GB DDR4
HDD = 1TB Hybrid drive
Graphics = Geforce 1050 or Geforce 1060 3GB or equivalent AMD card

If you find one you like and want an opinion feel free to post a link. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 8 (1,091 Views)

★ Novice

What do you think about this laptop? Would it run sims 4 well? 

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-notebook-15-bs121nr

Message 3 of 8 (1,019 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It would be a small miracle if it ran it at all.

Too weak CPU and Graphics, Not enough RAM or drive space. This is designed for light school work, surfing and email. Nothing else.

Please look at the specs I posted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 8 (1,003 Views)

Okay thank you so much for the feedback, I do understand...

★ Novice

Okay thank you so much for the feedback, I do understand that gaming laptops are more on the pricey side but is there anything that you would recommend, something that’s not too expensive 

Message 5 of 8 (990 Views)

Re: Okay thank you so much for the feedback, I do understand...

Champion (Retired)

Anything that fulfills the specs i posted earlier will do. Look at what I wrote under Budget Perhaps look for a refurbished laptop.

Message 6 of 8 (985 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @TempleAssassin & @mvokay@jpkarlsen has given some helpful specs for high end and low end choices. I don't have experience with speccing specifically for The Sims 4, but I went through similar pain trying to upgrade my pc's last year (I was still running Windows Home Vista - and I'm cheap! lol)

The issue pretty much lies in getting a laptop for $500; the extreme specials you'll see out there are usually configured with low-end graphics and questionable power supplies, in order to hit the right price point. They're going to be sufficient for the typical student or adult who enjoys social networking, browsing and shopping online, etc, but anything above Facebook games is going to probably tax the system too much. 

When I finally bought my gaming PC, I configured my own at CyberpowerPC. Now, I don't work for them or have any affiliation, I'm just giving you an option you may have not seen. If you post those high-low specs on their forums (don't configure on your own - ask the people on the forums) there are friendly users with a great knowledge of that site and what should be upgraded and what you can bypass. If there's a way to get a solid config at your price point, they will find it. Or, they will tell you how much higher you should probably go to get the bare minimum.

Another option is the Best Buy site, use the navigation and filters - check the minimum specs off on the side (i5, i7, Ryzen 8; 8 GBs ram, etc) and put in a maximum of $500 for the cost. When I did this, I did get some options, but all of them have the on-board graphics cards, which @jpkarlsen has said is too weak. I don't know if you will be able to find a laptop with a dedicated graphics card for under $500.

So, I guess the question for @jpkarlsen - how bad is an integrated graphics card in a laptop, for a user dedicating the computer to just The Sims 4? Can it run without major glitches with Intel UHD Graphics 620?

Message 7 of 8 (945 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You can use an integrated graphics processor but at the cost of graphics quality. I recommend a dedicated card because one thing is what is required today another what may be required in the future. We have already seen an increase in minimum requirements with the recent expansions. I'm not sure we have seen the end of this. There also is the thing that you say only Sims 4 but what if there next year comes a new game you would like but can't play on a PC that is just "good enough" for Sims 4 and in a couple years we will likely see Sims 5 that are guaranteed to have higher demands. I have to keep these things in mind when recommending a PC or people might come back next year and say I gave them bad advice. Now if people decide to go under my recommendation it is entirely up to them if it turns out that they should have invested a bit more.

Message 8 of 8 (935 Views)