Re: What do you spend your time on?

by SheriGR

Original Post

What do you spend your time on?

★ Apprentice

Trying to understand what appeals players the most, in terms of time. So, simple question: can you tell me on what do you spend your majority of time in TS?

1. Achieving sim goals (min-maxing the perfect path for maximum points in the least amount of time)
  2. Normal playing (seeing how the characters do their thing with little input)
  3. Micromanaging your family (not allowing free will most of the time)
  4. Creating new Sims (CAS)
  5. Creating chaos (arguing, making weird scenarios, cheating, etc)
  6. Building the actual house (architecture)
  7. Building inside the house (decorating, furniture)
  8. Building outside the house (gardening, pool, etc)
  9. Something I might've missed?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17 (1,003 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@PristineInsanity I hardly ever "play" the game anymore. I spend my time building and decorating.
Message 2 of 17 (983 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I play a variety of ways.  My favorite thing to do is make Sims in CAS!Heart  But I also like to play large families! Party hat I get most involved with a large family.  When I play single Sims or just a couple or 2 roommates, it is because I am trying out some new feature that the game offers, or a feature that I have not previously explored. Large families aren't the best for exploring game features, unless those features have to do with family life (like the ones that came in the Parenthood GP). Wink

I also micromanage my Sims, but I always play with free will on.  I am amused by their own choices, but I also don't want them to collapse in exhaustion after peeing themselves! SickLarge smile

Some households I do pay more attention to goals.  I focus on different things depending on my mood. Other households I use to tell a story (That is one style you didn't mention: Storytelling! Heart) But storytelling was best with TS2! Heart

Finally I really love to test things in the game.  Part of that comes from trying to help people here on this forum... I will test something to see if I get the same result. Experimenting in this way can help to figure out what is going on in another person's game.:eahigh_file:  But I also like to test things just to see them for myself.  It challenges me to try to recreate some scenarios. Party hat

One thing I rarely do that many other players usually do is I rarely play rotationally.  I have almost all my households in their own Save Games.  I don't like when things happen to my families when I'm playing other families! Disappointed  I do have a few saves where I play rotationally, but I hardly ever play them.  Embarrassed

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 17 (975 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@PristineInsanity The majority of my time over the last year is spent building - so that covers 6, 7, & 8. I have spent tons of time playing in the past (and somewhat now). I play with aging off, and also have all packs so I do try out many new features, careers, etc. Lately I play mainly to test my builds thoroughly and to test bugs and questions for the forum, and build for a few challenges or just for the gallery.  I mostly play my 'established sims' (my original sims couple - a very loose recreation of myself and hubby - and their off-spring and their families). I play & build pretty 'Type A', yet I always have free will on. I press them to accomplish certain things, yet treat them well. None of my sims have died, and basically all are highly achieving in various ways and accumulate a lot of skills. I also usually play large and complicated households who own & run businesses, have large gardens, and over-achieve in goals &/or several careers. 

So I think overall that almost covers all of your numbers to one degree or another... without much of certain types of 'chaos'. For instance, I don't play mean or evil sims (and I even delete them when I find them), no vampires or spells (just not my thing), yet I have had mermaids, completed the Strangerville challenge, and I have had my sims beat the tar out of a clepto that would not leaver their restaurant after hours. And when he still wouldn't leave I hunted him down in 'households' and deleted him. :eahigh_file:

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 17 (942 Views)

★ Guide

I mostly spent my time on gameplay, managing each individual but still with the free will turned on. I don't want to play a big family, because I probably need to move some of them out of the household (maximum 8 sims in a household), and I don't want them to die single (because we don't have Story Progression Disappointed). But I can move them out once they're married and have kids tho. I play with aging turned on and long lifespan, but somehow I find this long lifespan is too long while normal lifespan is too short, that's why I wanted a feature to adjust lifespan manually like in TS3.

I also spent a lot of time on building, I love TS4 build mode, the furniture/objects are great, but sadly we don't have a color wheel. I spent a whole week just to build this base game mansion located in Newcrest, yeah I'm a very slow builder. But I'm quicker now, the last mansion cost around 3-4 days to finish.09-16-19_8-48-01 PM.png

Dalton Mansion

After spending hundreds of hours in gameplay and building, my worlds become so boring. There's also not a lot of teenagers around for my teen sims to find a lover. So I decided to create a new teenager and put her into the world. Elders are dying, houses are empty because "Fill Empty House" is not working properly.

After my kid sims growing into a teenager, her outfits are very bad, then I start to give her a new look and that how I found Create A Sims is also fun! Later I started to create a family with a little story added. They also got their house built by me (the seconds image is their house). I've added that family into my main save file. This led me to have the intention to create entirely new worlds, all new lots and households, so there will be no Goth and Landgraab family. Large smile

I'm the opposite of @SheriGR, I even intentionally create an evil sim, with atrocious reputation! LOL. I don't want the worlds to be like a utopia where everything is good/positive. I want a world where there's a little negativity in there (evil, mean, jealous, hot-headed, kleptomaniac, quake zone, haunted, etc) so there will a contrast in the game, less plain and boring for me (of course we all have our own preference and there's no judging here Large smile).

I don't have many save files like others. Only 3 save files. 1. Main save file where I didn't use cheat and play normally. 2. Building save file where I build houses, community lot and household. 3. The testing file where I test new features of a new pack before diving into my main save file.

Message 5 of 17 (916 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AndyZhang2896 It sounds to me like you are a fast builder... and I am a much slower builder. Thinking Also, your mansion is lovely! I agree with you that I think I need to 'mix it up a bit' with my personalities and interactions... and I have begun to adjust a bit with that in mind, plus have begun downloading some sim households that others that I know made that are really cool. I build, and I have a couple of friends for whom making such households their thing - one even enters challenges for this - so I am having fun trying out their awesome households. I even built a couple of special request houses for one (yes, I'm talking about you, @PugLove888 :eahigh_fileStandard smile! It was pretty fun to report back what adventures and changes have gone on with her household in my game - and to hear about her enjoying the home. As I look through these responses it is a fun reminder of how many aspects of this game I really love! Heart

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 6 of 17 (910 Views)

Champion

@AndyZhang2896, you might think you are the opposite of @SheriGR , but you are also the opposite of me-- at least when it comes to Save Games! Wink  I don't know how many I have.  Some are just tests that I do to answer questions here (I don't want to mess up my famlies by testing certain things ).  But I have many others that I play.  But in all but a few cases, I don't play rotationally in my saves.  (I just rotate out my saves). I partially do this becasue I want to control my Sims if I'm telling a story, and for other saves I just don't want to miss anything that  my Sims do!  Raised eyebrowLarge smile  And then there are those families that I didn't create for testing, but I have played so long that I use them to check certain things in the game or to test certain things that are within my plans for that family. 

@AndyZhang2896  your house looks lovely! :eahigh_file:  I think you built that rather quickly! Raised eyebrowStandard smile It is way better than what I can build! Large smile I build a little, but almost nothing worth sharing .  But I really enjoy @SheriGR 's builds (although I have been too busy with ROM and testing lately to really play them as much as I want! Frown  And she has been known to use some of my Sims in her houses, so it works out.  I am usually very detailed with my Sims, giving them multiple outfits and making sure that Sims are all wearing socks for shoes you would wear socks with in real life, and things like that.  I might put on too much jewlery on my Sims for some people, but I really enjoy that aspect of making Sims.

And one of the best things about @SheriGR 's houses are that she play-tests them! Heart  I've downloaded houses that were beautiful from other people, but sadly I have to change a bucnch of things in them to have them actually work with Sims in Live Mode.  I don't have that problem with Sheri's builds! :eahigh_file:

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 17 (900 Views)

★ Guide
@SheriGR Before creating a household by myself, I went to Gallery to find some household, but I find many not good, occult sims that I don't like, using custom content, or even weird sims that have overly big eyes. Because of that I finally decided to create it myself. I do prefer a sims that have story on them, it's more interesting.
I also find some lots in Gallery, but as I said before, I'm a bit too perfectionist. I avoid using bb.moveobjects cheat and holding ALT when placing objects as many people do because I'm afraid things don't work as it suppose to. But recently I started using these (on my second mansion build).

@PugLove888 I can't let my sims wander around because they will mess up for sure, didn't sleep enough and going to work, causing them to become exhausted.
Thank you! If not mistaken, you both didn't use CC or Mods right?
I really dislike CC or Mods because it tends to cause problems. I've visited yours and SheriGR's Gallery actually and it looks good! I might explore some of your households to place it on my main save file.
Being detailed is what makes a household or lots great!
For a household with only 1 sim, I put multiple outfits for the Everyday and Formal category, other categories are usually 1. For a family household, then they probably only have 1 outfits in each category.
I tried to make their outfit reflects their wealth, richer sims do have jewelry, nice makeup, good-looking outfit. While poorer may look less fancy.
I didn't put socks on my sims tho, maybe I should consider it. LOL

"And one of the best things about @SheriGR 's houses are that she play-tests them!"
OH THISSS!! Very important. I didn't do playtest but since I didn't use a lot of bb.moveobject, never used bb.showhiddenobjects, and no custom content, then it supposed to be just fine.

A question, if someone uses CC on their build, and I downloaded it, does I automatically download the CC? If so, how to remove it?
I hate CC -_-
Message 8 of 17 (874 Views)

★ Apprentice

So, in short, rarely people play the game. You create worlds and their characters.

I apparently have been playing wrong. I rarely build, and if I do, I use presets, and focus on minmaxing my chars, like an RPG

Message 9 of 17 (869 Views)

★ Guide
@PristineInsanity There's no right or wrong gameplay. As long as you're having fun, it's all right!
Just try experiencing everything and found which one you enjoy the most! Standard smile
Message 10 of 17 (865 Views)