Re: VERY IMPORTANT information before you purchase

by EA_Jason

Original Post

VERY IMPORTANT information before you purchase

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

I was directed here, after chatting in the official EA chat window, by the advisor, to post my issue here and get official help.

I asked why there is no CLEAR statement on the EA Sims 4 game purchase site that says that players WILL (absolutely) need better and better computer specs (additional RAM for each pack that is purchased) if they add more packs to their game. The site only shows base requirements, and does not clearly make any statement that you MUST have additional specs with each added pack. It is not clear that with each pack that someone wishes to purchase that they will need additional RAM with each pack. Furthermore, is is VERY difficult to actually find the specs required (without digging through the multiple pages)- it should be listed right at the top of the (pack) page.

I asked for an official answer- and this is that conversation (which absolutely needs to be clearly stated on the site- before people purchase a pack, or the game itself):

Advisor: "So if you have a 4 GB ram and you installed a 1.5 GB game, it would work fine. Then after a while you add another expansion pack which is 1GB, now it's 2.5 GB in total. It would still work fine if you have not installed any other application on your PC only use the system to play games. However if you keep increasing the size of the game by adding more and more packs, obviously you would need to update your system with better specs. I hope it does make sense?" (better specs than is listed on EA's site)

Me: "Why is that not listed on EA's site?"

Advisor: "Because we do not know that how many packs a customer going to buy and it is basic thing which every gamer would
aware of. You would need upgrade your specs if you want to add more packs."

Me: "upgrade from what is recommended on EA's site you mean?"

Advisor: "Yes please"

Me: "Okay.... how do I get this issue addressed properly?" 

Advisor: "That's why I am asking you to please post this issue on EA site(Forum) as this is not something that we adviser can take
care of."

Message 1 of 12 (1,882 Views)

Champion

@InfiniteVerve I can see how it would be frustrating to be unable to add all of the packs you may want to your computer. It sounds like you have a computer that only handles the base game and maybe one pack well? If that is the case I would recommend that you play in windowed mode and with graphics settings that are moderate in order to help your computer handle the game the best it can. The base game on it's own is a stand-alone game. Adding the packs does add more functionality and items, but if your computer can only handle the base game that can offer a lot also. If you want to expand your game you may need a more powerful computer. 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 12 (1,844 Views)

★ Expert
@SheriGR are you an official EA response person (not being rude, am asking to be clear- since the official assistant in chat said to get the response and help from the official gurus). The recommendation is to change the official Sims 4 purchase website- to clearly show potential players that they have to have additional RAM with each pack they purchase. Which is why I am asking if you are an official who has control over changing the site..
Message 3 of 12 (1,838 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA SPORTS FC Team

Hi @InfiniteVerve,

The Advisor is correct in saying that the HDD space is cumulative, it's even noted on the System Requirements page for the expansions:

"HARD DRIVE: At least 3 GB of free space (15 GB if installing with The Sims™ 4) with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games"

I believe that the confusion came from the distinction between RAM and HDD space required. It's true that some expansions require more RAM and better specifications, but they are listed on the System Requirements page for that expansion. 

For example: Island Living lists that you need 4GB of RAM in order to play the expansion.

Jason.png
Message 4 of 12 (1,794 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@EA_Jasonit does not say that an additional amount of RAM per pack is needed. I would like that changed please- so that people know well before purchasing that their game is going to require the purchase of additional RAM just to play. Having that not clear is misleading, and it makes it so that players can't actually play what they paid for. I asked for a refund and was given the song and dance- however, this was purchased under misleading advertising.

And you stated that "Island Living lists that you need 4GB of RAM in order to play the expansion.", does that mean that if someone wishes to purchase IL they need an additional 4GB of RAM, as well as the RAM which is required by each pack individually? I see that Cats and Dogs is 4GB of RAM as well... so that would be 8GB just for those two packs? In addition to the RAM required just for the base game?

Message 5 of 12 (1,787 Views)
Highlighted

EA SPORTS FC Team

@InfiniteVerve No, RAM is not cumulative.

If you have Island Living and Cats and Dogs, you only need 4GB RAM, not 8.

Jason.png
Message 6 of 12 (1,773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@EA_JasonThank you... I was shocked when your advisor told me that more RAM is needed per pack. What are the system requirements needed in order to actually play the game at it's proper best (not just laggy minimum)? I think a lot of people get frustrated when they meet the minimum, only to have issues with the game (not counting all the bug issues). So it would be nice to have clarity with what specs are needed for an absolute fluid game- which can utilize all of the highest settings.

Also, is the advisor correct when he told me "It would still work fine if you have not installed any other application on your PC only use the system to play games. "?

Message 7 of 12 (1,768 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

I believe that the Advisor is talking about a Clean Boot.

That means that you start Windows without any other processes/programs running that could cause the game to lag. After a Clean Boot you just boot up Origin and The Sims 4 to check if that impacts the performance of the game. 

If other programs are running, that means that they're also using CPU/RAM and could cause laggy gameplay. A Clean Boot is not a solution by the way, we use it to test if other programs can cause issues. Be sure to boot your PC normally after using a Clean Boot. 

Jason.png
Message 8 of 12 (1,756 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@EA_Jasonstill didn't answer my question...

Additionally, I do know what a clean boot is. You do realize that I also know that this is called beta testing, and it is something that is the responsibility of the company- before releasing a product to a paying public. 

Message 9 of 12 (1,752 Views)

★ Apprentice

It doesn't fall within the purview of "beta testing" to test a program with every possible configuration and combination of other programs and processes that anyone could ever have.  It's simply not possible. You make sure the program runs on a clean, up to date version of the OS - Maybe with browsers or other standard software running - if I'm testing something and it bogs down a bit with Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects running, that's not the game's fault. 

The official answer would always be "Minimum required specs are the MINIMUM needed to run the game. Naturally, if you're running anything else at the same time, on a minimally specced machine, you're going to have issues." 

If you want to run the game while running anything else, you'd best have additional power available, up to the combined power for both applications you want to run (though, usually, with the way processes are queued and threaded, you won't need that much.

You don't have to install more RAM with every addition you run, you just need to have specs capable of running the game minimum and the pack(s) minimums... Which just about any $200 economy lappy will do, these days, if you're not running some crazy amount of other things at the same time. (I'd make sure that includes shutting down any unneeded web browser tabs - modern browsers eat RAM like it's cotton candy.)

Message 10 of 12 (1,642 Views)