The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

by EA_Mai

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 - Update on Supported Systems

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

UPDATE:

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition is available now. Please, see the updated FAQ below for more information.

________

Dear Simmers,

Today we are announcing some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac.  Later this year, we will no longer support The Sims 4 on Non-Metal Mac OS machines or PC 32-bit Operating Systems.

Apple has announced plans to phase out support for graphics processing technology called OpenGL and will be moving to a new technology known as Metal. Due to this change, we will upgrade The Sims 4 to work with Metal. For those that cannot upgrade to a Metal supporting OS, The Sims 4™: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see the FAQ below.

This update will also retire support for 32-bit Operating Systems. We regularly evaluate our technologies, and to continue growing, improving, and optimizing the game, we have made the decision to retire 32-bit support. If you are a PC player who cannot update to a 64-bit OS, The Sims 4: Legacy Edition will be made available to you. Please see FAQ below.

We want to thank all Simmers who have played or are still playing The Sims 4.

Message 1 of 5 (5,028,806 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 4 - Update on supported systems

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

UPDATE 3:

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition has been retired as of December 12th, 2022. More information can be found here.

EACade

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (7,363 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition FAQ

Where can I get The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition is now available for players who already own The Sims 4.

You can add it to your Game Library by opening the Details page for The Sims 4 on Origin. It will be located in the Extra content tab.

legacy-sims.png

Once added to your Library, press ‘Download’ to download and install it.

I already own The Sims 4, do I need to purchase The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

No, if you are an existing The Sims 4 owner, you can get your copy of The Sims 4 Legacy Edition for free.

Will The Sims 4 on my Non-Metal Mac be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, when you try to open The Sims 4, if your Mac doesn't support Metal you will be asked to download The Sims 4 Legacy Edition. To find out if your Mac supports Metal, you can also check here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073

legacy-sims-2.png

My computer is running a version of macOS that supports Metal, but I’m being told I have to use the Legacy Edition. Is something wrong?
Apple’s Metal technology supports only more modern GPUs. You will have to use The Sims 4 Legacy Edition if your macOS computer does not have Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

Will The Sims 4 on my 32-bit OS PC be automatically updated to the legacy version?

No, when you try to open The Sims 4, if you are on a 32-bit OS PC you will be asked to download The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

Will The Sims 4 Legacy Edition receive any additional content or bug fixes in the future?

No, The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will not receive any more content or bug fixes.

Do online features still work in The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations are disabled. The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after the update happens.

What Stuff Packs, Game Packs, and Expansion Packs can I play using The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

You will be able to purchase and play all Stuff, Game and Expansion packs released between September 2, 2014 and September 10, 2019. This includes Luxury Party Stuff Pack, Perfect Patio Stuff Pack, Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, Romantic Garden Stuff Pack, Kids Room Stuff Pack, Backyard Stuff Pack, Vintage Glamour Stuff Pack, Bowling Night Stuff Pack, Fitness Stuff Pack, Toddler Stuff Pack, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff Pack, Moschino Stuff Pack, Outdoor Retreat Game Pack, Spa Day Game Pack, Dine Out Game Pack, Vampires Game Pack, Parenthood Game Pack, Jungle Adventure Game Pack, StrangerVille Game Pack, Realm of Magic Game Pack, Get Together Expansion Pack, Get To Work Expansion Pack, City Living Expansion Pack, Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack, Seasons Expansion Pack, Get Famous Expansion Pack and Island Living Expansion Pack.

Stuff Packs, Game Packs and Expansion Packs released after September 2019 will be unavailable.

Does custom content still work with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

It's up to the custom content or mod developer to decide to support their custom content for both The Sims 4 and The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

Are there different versions of The Sims 4 Legacy Edition for Non-Metal Macs and 32-bit PC OS?

There will be one version of The Sims 4 Legacy Edition that you will be able to download.

Will my save files still work in The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

Yes, save files will still work with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition. Your save files will automatically transfer over when you first launch The Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

Note: Standard The Sims 4 save games will only be transferable into The Sims 4 Legacy Edition if the save was generated before the Legacy Edition update to the base game. If you play and save in a newer version of The Sims 4, that save game will not be transferable to the Legacy Edition.

Can I transfer my save files to The Sims 4 in the future?

Yes, you can transfer your saves from The Sims 4 Legacy Edition to The Sims 4 standard at any time by copying your saves from Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 Legacy Edition/saves into Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4 folder.

Will I be able to download and update The Sims 4 in a different computer if I get The Sims 4 Legacy Edition now?

Yes, if you get The Sims 4 Legacy Edition, both versions of the game will co-exist in your Origin Game Library.

How can I uninstall The Sims 4 Legacy Edition from my Metal compatible Mac or 64-bit OS PC?

Even if you have both versions installed on your computer, The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will only run if you are playing on a Non-Metal macOS or a 32-bit OS PC.

If you still want to remove The Sims 4 Legacy Edition, please, uninstall The Sims 4 and install it again, making sure not to install The Sims 4 Legacy Edition this time.

Can I install The Sims 4 Legacy Edition without installing The Sims 4?

No, The Sims 4 Legacy Edition requires The Sims 4 to be installed on your computer to run.

Message 2 of 5 (5,028,124 Views)

EA app Team
UPDATE:

We previously announced that we were making some changes to the supported specifications for The Sims 4™ on PC and Mac on June 2019. We have decided to postpone this update to later this year. All players can currently play all released packs and will be able to play the recently announced Island Living Expansion Pack. We will share more information on the specific date once we have confirmation.
Message 3 of 5 (5,009,709 Views)

EA app Team

UPDATE 2:

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition is almost here! See the updated FAQ above for more information.

Message 4 of 5 (5,001,025 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

UPDATE 3:

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition has been retired as of December 12th, 2022. More information can be found here.

EACade
Message 5 of 5 (7,364 Views)