Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sunshine coming through walls & casting in a negative

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.52.100.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all but the latest expansion, several game and stuff packs
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a room with a foundation, remove the floor and place a window on the side of the room that the sun rises or sets
What happens when the bug occurs? the light shines through walls, and casts a negative shadow on the inside of the room (see screenshots)
What do you expect to see? The light being blocked by the walls and shine only through a window, and shadows casting correctly: not in the negative
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. June 16, 2019 update/patch

As you can see in screenshot 2, the light is coming through the walls and casting the shadows in the negative. This particular room has the floor removed to make a sunken den.  The 1st screenshot is at night, and there is no lighting problem

Message 1 of 32 (2,222 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [UNSURE] Sunshine coming through walls & casting in a negative

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

It is fixed.  I used the "Hazed Tape Gate" and "Smooth Keeper Fence" instead of removing the wall. This fixed the lighting issue. I still have the sunken room, but without sunshine coming through the walls.   Screenshot 55 was my solution using the "Hazed Tape Gate" that way. Screenshot 53 shows the process to get the centered Hazed Tape Gate on the staircase down.  Sadly, although the room can be saved, it cannot be placed without losing most of the items on the floor, as it does not save the foundation height.

View in thread

Message 26 of 32 (3,354 Views)

All Replies

Re: Sunshine coming through walls & casting in a negative

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Nuke615 Do you only have this in this particular build ? Could you upload it to the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 32 (2,193 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

its in the gallery already "Brady Bunch Retro V4"  I have not looked at the other lots yet, but this particular room shown has the floor removed to get the sunken effect. This lot is placed on the 50x50 plot in Brindleton Bay (upper right)

Message 3 of 32 (2,186 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Nuke615 OK. Thanks. I won't have time to check tonight but I get back to you as soon as I can.

If you could test some other builds in the mean time, that would be helpful.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 32 (2,181 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Nuke615 Didn't get a chance to test this yet but had some others test it and they said they weren't able to duplicate ?

Could you test in a fresh save that never saw any mods ?

EDIT: Moving to tech for further troubleshooting

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 32 (2,139 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I checked to make sure SSAO was set to "true," and lighting set to "medium" (it is what Geforce Experience recommends for this game on my system), yet the shadows on this lot I described are still casting in the negative where light comes through the walls.  This is the only build I have with sunken rooms.  The issue will appear if you set this lot on the 40x40 Brindelton Bay plot (upper right corner of the map view).  The weather must be "clear skies" and the time of day at a little before 12PM in the afternoon when the issue presents itself.  The mustard colored room in the "Brady Bunch Retro V4" build is where this issue is apparent. 

In this build, the game ignores that there is a wall there.  But, because the floor was removed to make a sunken effect, that room cannot be saved to the library as the game processes the area as being "outside."  You can see that the window on that wall, and the swing set are casting shadows correctly. It is the wall itself that is not being recognized by the AI.

Message 6 of 32 (2,045 Views)

Hero
@Nuke615 Did you try replacing the lot from the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 32 (2,035 Views)

★★★ Guide
@crinrict Don't understand your question.....this happened after the latest patch....and I did bulldoze the lot and placed the gallery build down. Have you tested this lot under the condition listed above?
Message 8 of 32 (2,021 Views)

Hero
@Nuke615 I didn't have time for any testing (it's been insanely crazy) but other folks have tested it for me and they said they can't duplicate it on your build so I thought if you bulldoze the lot again and re-download the build you upload, it might be fine ?

Guess you did that though so I'm out of suggestions (cause I'm not a builder and don't know much about building)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 32 (2,014 Views)

Champion

@Nuke615 I found that the game is not seeing the outside of the wall with the deleted floor as a room. Please re-trace the entire room so that the game will create a new floor and ceiling for it, then use the sledgehammer to remove the floor again and go back through the wall deletion and stair addition on the one side and re-add the half wall by the TV and other items to the room and see if this issue is gone. Let us know how it goes! (Btw... nice house!)

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 10 of 32 (2,010 Views)