Secret agent Sim retired early, need help

by Guiboulou

Original Post

Secret agent Sim retired early, need help

★★★★ Novice

Heya guys,

I'm playing Sims 4 with a few expansions, including Get Famous. My adult (not elder) Sim who was a double diamond agent got one of the little pop ups where you have to make a choice for them while at work. I wish I had gotten a screenshot, but basically it said she had cracked a big case and could proceed with the arrests, which would boost her fame (hence why I mentioned Get Famous) and reputation, yet also force her to retire since her cover would be blown. Her other option was to just keep doing what she was doing. It really said "retire", so I figured it was a sweet deal and took it. The problem is that she isn't getting retirement money and she still gets alerts that work starts in one hour despite no longer having a career. She doesn't actually go to work, it's just the alerts. Did I do something wrong? Did I just essentially quit my job due to the pop up's poor wording? This is the first family where I'm actually trying to raise a child to teenage-hood without cheating for money or anything. Please help. :-(

I've gotta go to bed for now, but I'll gladly answer any questions you have in details when I wake up.

Message 1 of 15 (8,592 Views)

Re: Secret agent Sim retired early, need help

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Guiboulou
Have you tried fix the game in Origin?
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
If that does not help, check if it is possible to start this job again. Probably she will be promoted very fast and reach this level very quickly.
But it still looks like a game bug. Unfortunately, no one has yet reported it, at least I have not heard about such a bug - so the chance to fix it quickly by EA is small. So we need to find a way to work around this problem.
I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 15 (8,569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I will go try to repair it and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help. I really wish I had gotten a screenshot of the thing. Would've made reporting it easier. :-(

Message 3 of 15 (8,560 Views)

★★★★ Novice

She no longer gets alerts that she needs to go to work, but she still isn't getting any retirement money. So in short I effectively quit my job because the pop up was worded terribly.

Message 4 of 15 (8,552 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Guiboulou Unfortunately that is probably the case. I have had similar yet different popup-offer things that came in after Get Famous for my sims in various top-level careers, and sometimes it offers a 'fame' benefit, but not always, if memory serves. I would only choose the option if you're ready for a new career, don't need the job any more (if you're really rich and want to buy a business or something instead, or have a career they can do from home just fine (painter, writer, computer programmer, etc.). Definitely not worth the 'buyout'.

I had forgotten about that, but didn't you get the option to retire and take a pension at top level careers in Sims 2? I can't remember. That would be a great option if you want to try a new career.

Also, as @kreatora mentioned, if you re-join the career you seem to go up the promotion levels faster, though personally how fast this goes seems to vary per career, in my experience.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 15 (8,520 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It's really frustrating, especially since my save seems all messed up now regarding that Sim's career. Before I repaired, she got random alerts to go to work despite being "retired" (unemployed). And then last night, when I loaded my game back up after dinner, she had the stupid icon that allows you to choose how you want your sim to work, except it's stuck on Taking Risks and I can't click it at all. It's just permanently there in the corner of her portrait. The dialogue box just straight up broke everything related to that Sim's career. :-(

Let this be a warning to anyone who finds this thread: pick the option that allows your Sim to continue working.

Message 6 of 15 (8,507 Views)

Champion

I would run the game repair again, @Guiboulou. Maybe then choose to re-enter the career or a different job and see if the issue remains? Let me know what happens. You could actually try the acting career or astronaut/scientist. After my sim stopped being a spy and became an astronaut he seemed happier anyway. Now he's an actor, and with the high charisma and all it synced very well.

Message 7 of 15 (8,501 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I kind of wanted her to be a writer now instead (she could write totally fictional stories about a secret agent who entirely coincidentally looks like her). Would there be any downside to making her work a day or two in another career and then making her quit her job? I've never quit a job before, I don't really know what it does. I only started playing TS4 a bit before NYE, and it's my first Sims game. Sorry if some of my questions are a little ignorant. :P
Message 8 of 15 (8,496 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I was fooled into taking one of those options with a criminal sim. Then I found out how flakey the celebrity system is and the criminal went back to a nobody in 1 day.  When she re entered the criminal career it was several steps lower. But... lesson learned! You retire as an elder. Is your Sim an elder yet?

Message 9 of 15 (8,479 Views)

Champion

@Guiboulou wrote:
I kind of wanted her to be a writer now instead (she could write totally fictional stories about a secret agent who entirely coincidentally looks like her). Would there be any downside to making her work a day or two in another career and then making her quit her job? I've never quit a job before, I don't really know what it does. I only started playing TS4 a bit before NYE, and it's my first Sims game. Sorry if some of my questions are a little ignorant. :P

If you like the idea of her writing she can join the writer career (I have one sim in that career maxed out and her working hours are not bad at all - the top-level author career works 12-6 Tues & Sat for $2790 per day - I had her buy a business to run on other days, and she still writes books here and there to self-publish for royalties). But ...whether or not the sim is in the writing career they can just write from home and self-publish (after the book is done click the mailbox and choose self publish for that book). Every morning you get a royalty report. My author sim's daily income just from the royalties is over $3000, and it's not like she writes that much now. Most of the books were to level up in the career. I still have her write another here and there. Some types of books are worth more, and the higher their skill level the more the book is worth (and higher the daily royalties for). 

Message 10 of 15 (8,464 Views)