Miserable sims while in green house

by simgirl542

Original Post

Miserable sims while in green house

★ Guide

I like creating green houses for my sims. The thing is, green houses need sprinklers, right? Right. So I put enough in my green houses to cover all of my harvestables and I use all of them.

The problem is every single time the sprinklers turn on, the sim that is in the green house becomes uncomfortable and says it's filthy surroundings. The ground is natural so I don't understand why they would become uncomfortable at all. The water is never soaked up and they're always getting that moodlet. Now my current sim can't tend to the plants or the bee hives in his green house.

In the past I've put a higher-end robot vacuum in the green house to counteract the puddles, but water and robots don't mix and I found myself constantly telling them to repair or replace the thing. So that idea was out.  It's getting on my nerves.

Yes, I do have mods in my game, but this occurred even before I added them.

I don't know if this is a bug so I put it in this section.

Please help.

Message 1 of 13 (1,812 Views)

Re: Miserable sims while in green house

Champion (Retired)

@simgirl542 

Puddles in a room will cause the uncomfortable moodlet unless they have the slob trait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 13 (1,802 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@simgirl542, I usually just water my plants by hand, but on some of the bigger gardens this is very difficult.  However, if your Handiness Skill is high enough , you should be able to upgrade the sprinklers ! :eahigh_file:  I don't recall at what the earliest level is for upgrading sprinklers, but one of my level 9 Handiness skill Sims can choose between "Puddle Prevention" and "Unbreakable" upgrades! Wink

Update:  The first upgrade for the sprinklers can be done at level 5 Handiness! :eahigh_file:

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 13 (1,794 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Well, if you enclose the plants in a "room", (whether it has walls or not) the plants become "sheltered" and the ground is no longer the same as the outdoors. You can choose the "outdoor" flooring but its not the same. Since it's a "room", the sprinklers leave puddles if you haven't upgraded it to not leave puddles. If you haven't upgraded the sprinkler, the puddles are the same as indoor puddles and will need to be mopped up.

Tip: What I usually do is create a room outside, with walls, place columns on the corners, then delete the walls. The room will stay in place then. Put on a roof with the glass ceiling. It's outdoors without actually being outdoors. You can even put the beehive outside the "room" and the bees will still get to the plants.

Message 4 of 13 (1,789 Views)

★ Guide

Do the plants still read as sheltered if you do that?

Message 5 of 13 (1,766 Views)

★ Guide

I didn't know there was a puddle prevention option when upgrading the sprinklers. I'll have to look into that.

Message 6 of 13 (1,765 Views)

Champion

@simgirl542, yes! There is both a "Puddle Prevention" upgrade and an "Unbreakable" upgrade on sprinklers! Standard smile  

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 13 (1,762 Views)

★★★★ Expert

If you go into build mode and click on it and it shows up as a "room", they will be considered "sheltered". It doesn't matter if they have walls or not. You will at least need to have columns on the corners before you delete the walls. If you don't, then the room will be deleted also.

Just make a square room of walls, put columns on the corners, delete the walls and leave the columns. Put a roof on it and it'll work.

You'll need to use planters though since that's not outside ground.

Message 8 of 13 (1,743 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@simgirl542 If you don't do as @PugLove888 mentioned (upgrade the sprinklers to be unbreakable and prevent puddles) they are ridiculous to use (breaking constantly and causing uncomfortable moodlets from puddles).

You can remove the floor to plant directly into the ground in your greenhouse. I usually add sprinklers by deleting a wall section on the greenhouse, placing the sprinklers, then re-adding the wall section. I have also made greenhouses with a rim of flooring around the edges and the center flooring deleted so that I could plant directly into the ground there. If you use any flooring and use planters for the plants, you can use the roomba for puddles and upgrade it to be unbreakable, I believe. 

A butler will also water for you, as will a gardener or Patchy (the scarecrow). Plus a butler or maid should mop puddles.

I also had an issue with the household where I used these indoor sprinklers in the greenhouse. One of the sims would regularly (in winter) get a 'freezing to death' warning when in the greenhouse with sprinklers on. I won't go into the nuances of that case, but if you have this issue pop up you can turn off their sensitivity to seasons in the game's settings and that fixed it in my case. You can also buy a similar resistance for the effected sim in the rewards store, "Cold Acclimation".

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 9 of 13 (1,717 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

You could also put some sort of outdoor-appropriate floor (or any indoor floor, really) in your greenhouse, which will allow your sims to mop puddles that appear there.

Message 10 of 13 (1,682 Views)