Re: Issues with Origin and a Sims 4 glitch

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Issues with Origin and a Sims 4 glitch

★★★ Novice

Hi, I have two issues and wasn't sure where to post it, so I just decided to ask it all here. I got a new laptop for Christmas last year and when I installed Origin none of my games will play (I have games like Bejeweled, Peggle, etc.) None of my games will play. I tried repairing the games and just get an error. I recently purchased some Sims 4 Expansions, Game Packs and Stuff packs in a bundle and my Sims 4 game will play, but now I have this glitch where my Sim won't sleep. She'll get into bed and pop right back up. Her husband sleeps just fine, but she will get in bed and then gets right back up. My questions are 1) What is the best (safest) way to uninstall and reinstall Origin to get my other games to work, 2) if I uninstall Origin, will I lose my current Sims 4 game play? 3) Is there a way to save my Sims 4 game so that I don't lose my Sims and current saved games if I decide to uninstall/reinstall Origin? I would think a reinstall would fix the Sims 4 sleeping glitch, but any advice on that would be helpful in case I do a reinstall and the sleeping glitch still occurs. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7 (1,792 Views)

Champion (Retired)

1. Settings Apps find origin and select uninstall. Get the latest version from here: https://www.origin.com/dnk/en-us/store/download

2. No.

3. You can make a backup of your the Sims 4 folder.

For sleeping this can be caused by noise (Radio, TV, Windchime) or Toddler/Child/Pet wanting to wake up sim.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 7 (1,774 Views)

★★★ Novice

My sim only lives with her husband, there are no children or pets and no tv on or music playing. I think it's just a glitch with this sim cause her husband sleeps fine and her energy is low so she should sleep as well. 

I'm kind of hesitant, but I will go ahead and take a chance and uninstall Origin and do a reinstall. I've made a copy of my Sims 4 folder and saved it to my desktop, just in case. Hopefully this solves the problem with my other games.

Message 3 of 7 (1,749 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@badgyrl_310  As @jpkarlsen suggested, in your case I would definitely make sure your game version is current and updated - first and primarily.

I was having that happen to a couple of the Sims in a household once. I had to put in a whole string of sleep commands and keep re-adding them until they got enough sleep. A 'nightmare'. I was afraid they would die of exhaustion if I just left the game without them getting some sleep first the were so exhausted! In my case the glitch went away. I can't remember exactly the solution, but these are things I would have tried, so it is likely one of them. You can try...

• I'm sure you did this already, but sometimes just leaving the game (especially if you haven't already saved it with the glitch running), shutting down the game then re-starting it will have fixed a glitch when you re-enter the lot.
• Go to 'Manage Households' and move the sim to a new household of their own. If it is a child you may need to move an adult with them. Save and exit the whole game, then go back in and open the household and save. Next go to Manage households and re-add them into the original household and save. Now go in and see if the glitch is gone.
• You can save the household into your library, and save the lot into the library, and repair the game. See if that fixes it.
• You can try moving the family to a new lot or home. A new household move is a kick in the pants that can do wonders to 'reset' some things.

If all of these things don't help, you can reset your game (see thread on link below for extensive detail on the process, if you want more info on it). Or you can just do it rather than trying the other things, for that matter. In the case of the Sims in my household that I mentioned I did not reset the game and I'm still playing them successfully. They did move past it - with some help: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/  In your case, though, if you do the download of the latest version that @jpkarlsen suggested I am assuming you will not need a reset since you have a new download/fresh game install already.

Great you have your 'The Sims 4' folder backed up on your desktop!
You should save a copy of the 'The Sims 4' folder occasionally in case your game or computer crashes - and before resetting and troubleshooting your game. Save it to an external drive. That way you could add this folder into a fresh install and recover your lost game should you need to.

Do you have Mods or CC that may be causing the issue? Many of the Mods and CC broke in the recent patch. You can remove them and add them back one by one to see if one of them is causing it.

Troubleshooting Mods and CC
• Access the mods from the folder on your game/machine at: Go to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods
• Save a copy of the folder to your desktop before emptying the one in your game so you can re-add from the old folder.

I will qualify all of this with informing you that I'm not an EA help person or expert. This is my attempt to share some links and information as to issues that are my understand to be possible causes, and that have caused glitching in my personal experience... and things that can help fix/repair these.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 7 (1,734 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for all the tips. I have a quick question, do I also need to uninstall all of the games too (I have a few: Plants vs Zombies, Peggle, Bejeweled, Sims 3, all EPs and most SPs, Sims 4, etc.) or just uninstall Origin? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to fix these problems without making anything worse. I'm not technologically savvy.

I have no mods or CC installed. After the glitch happens, I usually quit without saving. I haven't played in a few days and haven't tried to repair Sims 4 since doing a repair did nothing for my other games. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do a reinstall, whether I need to uninstall every game individually or just uninstall Origin. I'm not sure how this works or what the best solution would be.

Message 5 of 7 (1,699 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@badgyrl_310 perhaps @jpkarlsen has additional information that would address your questions more specifically in regards to the uninstall/reinstall process, as I haven't done that in this game. If you have other game folders (aside from the "The Sims 4" one) in your "Electronic Arts" folder in Documents (on the computer, found at the path I mentioned previously) in that root folder I would also make a copy of those as a backup along with the "The Sims 4" folder, as I mentioned before.

My familiarity with these things is not as an expert, EA employee, associate, or anything like this... I do web design and some types of coding related to my work, but not the type involved in creating games, so my familiarity is mostly on an as-needed basis involving what I have dealt with for my own game. It sounds like @jpkarlsen is more tech-savvy in this specific regard, but you would have to ask him or see if someone else adds more information or confirmation to the posts as to your specific questions. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful at answering your questions.

@PugLove888...Do you have any suggestions to add that would help clarify?

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 6 of 7 (1,648 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Nothing will happen to your installed games by uninstalling and reinstalling Origin. It is unlikely that doing this will have any influence on your issue with the Sims 4 but there is nothing lost in trying it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 7 of 7 (1,631 Views)