I don't get the game Sims 4

by Mrs_Bloody_NL

Original Post

I don't get the game Sims 4

★ Guide

Hello, 

I've tried this tpoic on the Dutch side, but it seems like a dead forum hahaaa. 

I bought Sims 4, after playing Sims mobile for a few months and I just don't get it.

I keep seeing the house, as my sim goes to work. 

At her job she really needs to go to the bathroom, but I cannot get her home as she has to end it. 

Once home, it takes a long time for her to finish pieing.

While talking a *, she is really hungry and needs some pleasure time, but cooking a meal is also talking hours of her time that once her meal is ready she needs to go to bed  as she has to go back to her job in just 3 hours.

She hadn't even start eating her meal 😳😳

And also  when she has leftovers, I cannot find it in the fridge...

There are more things like this. 

Why can i not go to her job? I am litterally staring at an empty house.. 

I just don't get it... 

Can anyone help me understand it? 

Grtz Sandra

Message 1 of 14 (790 Views)

Re: I don't get the game Sims 4

★★★★★ Guide

Greetings @Mrs_Bloody_NL;

I'll try to answer your questions and observations as best I can here:

The Sims 4 focuses on each Sims' life, or multiple Sims if you happen to play a "lot" with multiple Sims. Each Sim has multiple "Needs" which need to be fulfilled to keep your Sim happy and at their best potential, whereas they also have "Whims" which are things your Sim "wants" to do; these can be completed to give your Sim Lifestyle Points to make their life easier.

- There are three "types" of jobs in Sims 4, depending on what Expansions and Packs you have installed with the game. If you have just the base game, you will only have one type; I have listed them below:
  - Careers (Base Game & Expansions): Careers are jobs that your Sim goes to at a specific time, and comes back after their work day has finished. Details of what your Sim needs to do well at their job, as well as any Daily Tasks they can do at home during non-work hours to boost their performance the next work day can be found in the "Career" tab on the bottom-right. In these jobs, your Sim will leave the active lot, and won't come back until their shift ends. The game normally will fast-forward to accommodate this downtime, unless you have additional Sims on the lot which can be played. While your Sim is at work, if you select the Briefcase symbol above their icon on the bottom ribbon, you can toggle various tasks your Sim can perform while at work; from Socializing with Co-Workers, to Working Hard to do even better at their job, you get some limited control over your Sim even when they're away.

- Professions (Get to Work / Get Famous / Cats & Dogs Expansions): Professions are jobs that you will travel to the work site with your Sim to help them perform well at their job. While at the work site, you must have your Sim complete tasks related to their job to improve job performance and eventually get promoted. Professions are a lot more interactive than Careers since you still have full control over your Sim. If you have multiple Sims from your main lot, you can swap between the two lots, or control them remotely similarly to how you can adjust a Career-focused Sim; you can select the "travel arrow" symbol next to their icon on the bottom ribbon, which will give you options for the Sim to take care of themselves.

- Work-From-Home (City Living): Work-From-Home jobs are a sort of hybridized job type between Careers and Professions. When it comes time for your Sim to work, you are given the option to go into work (Which will have the Sim leave the lot in the next hour, similar to a Career), you can have them Work From Home (Which functions like a Profession, except you don't have to leave your home lot). You also have the option to take PTO, which consumes a Vacation Day. Work From Home jobs allow you to get the best of both worlds, and the tasks you need to perform for a Work From Home character, depending on the job, can encourage your character to leave home and socialize with other Sims...and get paid for it!

Some early gameplay tips revolving around what you mentioned:
- Early on in-game, your Sim is going to be rather needy as it can take time to achieve a balance of the Sims' needs versus what you want them to accomplish. Focus on making it so your Sim is in good shape with their Needs before you start looking to overachieve. If possible, see if you can find ways to combine fulfilling needs two or three at a time, rather than one at a time. (For example, have your Sim eat a Quick Meal from the fridge, while also watching TV. You'll satisfy Fun and Hunger, and if you're watching a skill-based channel, you also can gain some Skill.)

- For restoring Energy, try and find a bed that restores Energy at a good rate; cheap beds are convenient, but can be uncomfortable, and can slow the rate your Sim gets Energy back. If you can't afford a decent bed, try and pace what time your Sim goes to bed, versus how much Energy they'll need when they go to work. You can curb how much Energy is needed by having your sim become Energized by drinking coffee, taking a nap, or taking a brisk shower.

- When you put leftovers back in the fridge, there are two options to recover them; you can select the option "Get Leftovers" or select the "Open" option, then select the specific food item you want to eat from the menu.

If you need additional information, feel free to ask!

- B

Message 2 of 14 (709 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
1) I'm afraid she will either have to go home to use the bathroom and quit work early, or her bladder need will automatically increase at work. Maybe there's a bathroom there haha 🙂
2) Yes, it is annoying, but they do take a silly amount of time using the toilet
3) Cooking also takes a long time, but you need to click on the food and eat it
4) The leftovers will go into the fridge if you drag the meal into the fridge
5) You can go to work with the Sims 4: Get to Work expansion pack

Hope this helps Standard smile
Message 3 of 14 (770 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@Mrs_Bloody_NL
Abandon the permanent work, buy an easel and start painting the paintings at home. The fastest way to get money and points of aspiration.
Choose her aspirations in the creativity section - "Painter"
In the meantime, she can set up a garden but you need to buy a pot in buying mode. After clicking on this pot you can buy seeds. You can plant them in the ground and the game will stop being boring.
Change her aspirations often - gardener, a painter, you can also choose others to quickly collect points
As soon as you earn 2000 points for fulfilled dreams and aspirations, buy her a "steel bladder" trait. Standard smile
I don't work for EA
Message 4 of 14 (765 Views)

Champion

@Mrs_Bloody_NL There may be information specific to this game version in this guide that you will find helpful: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/sims.php

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 14 (758 Views)

★ Guide

Thank you all for the tips. 

I will go and try it all in the game and buy the expension pack in the future. 

Message 6 of 14 (747 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Mrs_Bloody_NL A few things that I do that I thought I would mention:

• If your sim goes to work or school and needs to pee, they will do it there after they're uncomfortable enough. But... try to not send them to school/work 'needing badly' to pee. If so they will be uncomfortable for a while, but they'll take care of it. Not a deal-breaker.
  • The kids will eat at school, and sometimes the adults will take care of food there also, but not always.
  • If their needs are too low just have them take a vacation day and catch up. Just do your best to have them in the green in all areas when they leave for work or school.
  • Naps are your friend. So are plenty of bathrooms and a good bed (good comfort and energy).
  • Some upgrades to appliances/electronics/plumbing will increase their efficiency (so they take less time and are more effective), as do some perks.
  • Fix your own stuff. The higher your handiness the faster you work and you can do lots of efficiency updates then also.
  • Get a maid. Always. Even if you don't make much they will not do anything if you have taken care of everything. But if you need to focus on career you don't need to worry about messes then. Just make sure there are several hundred dollars at least in the funds always to keep them paid.
  • Have a sim make one or two meals (for 4 or for 8) once a day and drag them to the fridge and everyone will just grab leftovers when you click on the fridge and tell them to - or they will do it of their own choice.
  • If there is no time to make a meal you can click the fridge and choose 'grab a quick meal'. Not as filling but no prep time.
  • They can go to work up to an hour late if need be and I don't notice a real issue with work - if you need the extra time.
  • Once they are at work don't track their needs just hit super fast-forward and they will be back home in no time.
  • Combine tasks for efficiency. For example, you can watch the cooking channel with a friend while you eat and increase social, fun & cooking all at the same time. Or you can get the cheap card table (they LOVE that thing) and they will socialize (or play solo), play/fun, increase logic, and I think maybe they can eat there also.
  • Download my 'perfect' dragonfruit plant in the gallery. If you care for even just one of those inside (if you have seasons, so it stays in season) and sell the fruits every few days you make thousands of dollars which helps your sim a lot.

Message 7 of 14 (740 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Mrs_Bloody_NL I just now added more 'tips' to the previous list, so you may want to re-check to see if anything is helpful that wasn't there before. Wink Have fun!

Message 8 of 14 (728 Views)

★ Guide

@SheriGR Thank u for all those usefull tips, will look at it this afternoon 🤗 and have it a go. 

I understand that I also have to buy some extra bundels or expension packs 😁 and an extra sim.. I only have 1 sim now. 

I will not give up 🤗 

Message 9 of 14 (706 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Mrs_Bloody_NL 

Glad to hear it. Have fun with your new toy and new sim(s)! :eahigh_file: Large smile

Given that you mentioned that you want to add a sim(s) to the household and purchase expansion(s)/pack(s), I thought I would add a couple more 'tips' that I found helpful in my games:

• If you add any sims to your household and they ARE going to be related to your current sim you can add them in the CA area to the household and create the relationship (spouse, child, etc.) while creating the sim. Tip: make sure to create the relationship while creating the sim. You cannot go back in later and create the relationship. 
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/how-to/make-a-sim.php
    https://guides.gamepressure.com/thesims4/guide.asp?ID=26714
  • If you add any sims to your household and they ARE NOT going to be related to your current sim, I would recommend making the other sim as their own household and saving them as a separate household. That way they get $20,000. Then go back into the households and move the new sim into your current sim's household. And save. You now gained $20,000 in the household funds. Very helpful when starting out. You could do this for each adult and teen. Children cannot be created as their own household - they need a an adult. (Though there are kids and pets alone in the gallery, so I suppose it can be done with a cheat.)
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/splitting-and-merging
  • If you play with multiple sims, especially more than 2-3, pause is your new best friend. Cue up what you want everyone to be doing and press play.
  • If you would like to get some opinions on recommended EPs, this is one of the forum posts on this subject:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16889838#Comment_16889838

Message 10 of 14 (688 Views)