How to remove freelancer career

by OldSims

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How to remove freelancer career

★★★ Novice

I’ve been trying for months to remove the freelancer artist career.  Can someone please tell me how?  Here is what I’ve tried so far:

careers.remove adult_freelancer_artist

careers.remove adult_freelancer_agency_artist

careers.remove_career adult_freelancer_artist

careers.remove_career adult_freelancer_agency_artist

End career via phone

End career via computer 

End career via Sims Library

All of these solutions I found here.  There is no google search that I’ve come across that addresses how to End or Remove this specific career.  At this point I’m game for any recommendation.  Oh, and another thing I’ve tried was ‘moving my sim out and back in’... that just made my game quirky.  Fortunately I save my games often (and backup even more).  

Thanks in advance

OldSim

Message 1 of 13 (1,624 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: How to remove freelancer career

Champion (Retired)

@OldSims  Trust when I say I totally understand Angel {Younger mind in older body}

I am happy your grandson was able help you out. In your first posts I did not realize you had more than one career. If you decide to use mods again and have an issue just move the entire mods folder to the desktop to test. The game will make a fresh folder without mods.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
Game Version 1.54.120.1020 Patch 08Aug2019
All content installed thru Moschino Stuff Pack
PC / Win 7
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations

View in thread

Message 13 of 13 (1,976 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@OldSims
The Freelancer careers (Artist / Programmer / Writer) were integrated into the game via a patch. 
Have you tried having your Sim join another career/job?
That should end their Freelancer career.
If that does not work here are some other things to try.
PC/Mac
Try removing (not disabling) mods / cc and delete the localthumbcache.package and any other cache files.
Test the game to see if the issues are still there.
Troubleshooting tips
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Troubleshooting-your-Game/m-p/3621199

- EQ Avid Sims Player
Game Version 1.54.120.1020 Patch 08Aug2019
All content installed thru Moschino Stuff Pack
PC / Win 7
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 2 of 13 (1,614 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Are you trying to remove the career itself? Or just change your sim's job?

If it's the former, you can't. It's part of the base-game.

If it's the latter, try having your sim join any other job. If it works, it'll remove the freelancer. You can always quit the new job after.

Message 3 of 13 (1,598 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EuphorialQueen 

I don’t take it for granted that you responded, so Thank you very much.😉

Your first suggestion did not work.  ‘Joining another Career/ Job’.  In fact, for a moment, it appeared as if it wiped out my main career (Secret Agent).  It was a simple fix, but you know that feeling when something seemingly disappears.

Your second suggestion also didn’t work.  Removing Mods/ CC/ Clear Cache.  I clear cache files routinely (I have an alarm for that).  My mods and cc are very organized, so temporarily removing them was not a problem.

Again, I appreciate your help.  If I have to live with it, then so be it.

OldSims

Message 4 of 13 (1,583 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Psychotps 

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it.

No, I wasn’t trying to remove the career itself, as part of my options... I’ve been trying to remove it because I decided to give it a try and didn’t like it at all.

In my original post I said that I’ve been to the library, to use their computer.  Joining another career does not remove Freelancer by default.  I just end up with 3 careers.

Not to worry, I’ll keep at it or have my son take a look.  

OldSims

Message 5 of 13 (1,579 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@OldSims "main career"? So your sim is in two careers?

I don't understand how that can even happen. I've never seen a single sim in two separate careers at the same time.
Message 6 of 13 (1,578 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Psychotps 

Yes, it’s possible.  I think I started doing it about a month ago.

Message 7 of 13 (1,576 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@OldSims

If your sim is in multiple careers at the same time, something is definitely bugged. I'd love to see it, never heard of it happening before.

If your sim is corrupted, I'm not sure what can be done to fix it. You can try restoring an old save. There is an option on the load screen somewhere to restore a deleted auto-save. You can look in there to see if you have an old save you can roll-back to.

If you've tried the standard things like deleting cache, playing with no mods, repairing game files, I think this would be the only option left.

Message 8 of 13 (1,573 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EuphorialQueen 

Turns out you were right.  I called my grandson over, and in minutes he told me that I hadn’t removed ALL my mods.  So he went ahead and did it for me.  Now both my careers are gone (I don’t mind), as long as that blasted Freelancer is gone, I don’t mind starting over.  I believe he said something about a script and a mod that I had, that wasn’t in my regular mods folder.

Time to go simming again!

Thank you for your help.  OldSims isn’t just my username. 😁

OldSims

Message 9 of 13 (1,561 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Psychotps 

I’m gonna have to chalk this one up to old age.  About a month ago I tried a mod that allowed you to have more than one career.  I found it annoying and instead of removing it, I forgot all about it.  Then I discovered Freelancer and thought of it like a part-time job... but it wasn’t.  And every time I tried to remove it... well that was my frustration.  “User Error” as my grandson calls it.

Apologies if I had your brain in overdrive... though I truly appreciate your help.  Oh, using one of my old saved games was next on my list. 

OldSims

Message 10 of 13 (1,559 Views)