Re: How can I buy Sims 4 in English?

by EA_David

Original Post

How can I buy Sims 4 in English?

★★ Apprentice

I'm in Poland, even though I have "English" set in Origin's settings, the content inside Origin is always Polish, at the bottom of the page I see another language seleciton field and guess what - it has ONE option - Polish.

So I go to the store, check out Sims 4 and see: "Supported languages - Czech, Polish, Russian". Does that mean that because of my location I'm not allowed to buy this game in English or is English always there as an option and the 3 languages mentioned in teh description are an additional choice aside from English?

Message 1 of 21 (7,474 Views)

Community Manager

No, that version is restricted to Czech, Polish and Russian.

The way around this would be to order a physical version from an area which has EN available.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 21 (7,401 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

OK so, to make this clear - EA will not sell me a digital English version of Sims 4, right? And if so - is there any real reason for that? I mean, I could understand the other way around, if someone would want a localized version and there wouldn't be one, but English? That's the "original", right? Why would anyone want to not include it, especially if there are 2 other languages included in this version? I don't get it :-(

Oh and one more thing - IF i would buy a physical copy (which I definitely won't, if I won't get an English digital copy, I don't want any other), then if there would be any downloadable content for Sims 4, would it work with an English physical copy or would I then also not be allowed to get it because ... reasons?Any comments? Will downloadable content work if I would buy a physical English copy and have Origin forced to use Polish for some reason?

Edit Bump: Still waiting for a reply - will downloadable content purchased via Origin (where an English version is not sold) work with a physical English copy of the game?

(Posts merged by CM)

Message 3 of 21 (7,384 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

As far as I know the DLC won't be language/region restricted, but I'm waiting for a confirmation before I can give a 100% solid "yes".

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 21 (7,261 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same problem here.

I was actually considering applying for the 24 hours refund policy (a bit too late for that now), as the game (for me) is unplayable in Polish. What sounds fun in English sounds nauseous in Polish. Also - I can't find the info anywhere if a copy bought outside Poland (like British Amazon) would actually let me play in English or will it "switch" to the local version when added to Origin from my local ip? This also needs explaining.

At this point I'll be happy to actually pay extra for the option to play in English legally if there was one. But there isn't! It really sucks that I'm even considering this, but I want to play the original game in its original language and I just don't get why I'm not allowed to buy it legally.

Funny thing - I made it sort of work (some texts still display in Polish, the rest is in English) using both cracked launcher and cracked language pack. Yes, perhaps it's in the "grey zone", but consider this - I "pirated" my ORIGINAL game to make it playable. I bought the game legally, directly on Origin, on the launch day, just to be forced to seek semi-legal solutions to make it playable.

Bare in mind I'll be happy with region language lock, but in Poland it's only Polish, Czech, Russian. There are many foreigners here and English is their desired language, as they obviously don't speak the other two as well. What about them? Also not allowed to play the original game in the language they understand, just because they happen to live in Poland. Why?

Message 5 of 21 (7,251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

David - thanks for the info, looking forward for the confirmation :-)

Vinegaria - my thoughts exactly, to me it's just unimaginable. The logical part of my brain is unable to process this - how can any company using the internet to sell their products, not utilize the fantastic opportunity to offer ANY product in ANY form based on the fact that it's a global network?

I understand that there are some legal issues and, for example, in Poland every product sold here requires to have a Polish "manual" (as in - an imported food needs to have the ingredients listed also in Polish), but there is absolutely no law that would prevent you from giving a different language as an additional option. In fact - you're doing it already, you're offering Czech and Russian so... why not the "original" English?

To make it clear, no one is saying that there shouldn't be an OPTION for different languages - sure there should, not everyone speaks English, but not having it there at all is just weird to say at least. And the lack of an explanation why English isn't there is also not helping. Obviosuly, people like reasoning and not knowing the reason is upsetting :-( I know for sure that law can't be the reason because I bought Battlefield 4 through Origin and it's in English so its not like you are not allowed to put it there, but at the same time, I can't imagine that this would be a conscious free choice made by EA because it goes against any business rules - limiting your own sales, why would anyone do that?

Message 6 of 21 (7,239 Views)

Community Manager

I have word that DLC shouldn't be affected by the language version that is being played.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 21 (7,224 Views)

★★★ Novice

Unthinkable, inexcusible and mad are precisely the words the situation calls for.

I'm an English speaking person living in Poland, and while can speak the language, it's beyond ridiculous that in the age of digital restribution a flie which allows me to play in my language at my leisure is simply chosen to be omitted. How on earth is that decision driven, if I may flair in outrage? Are they appeasing any ludicrous restrictions on local retail? Surely not, as this sort of debacle would never occur on Valve's watch.

It's even more problematic as the 'special edition', one for which we the fans elect to pay extra on top, is graciously offered on Origin only - As to encourage our loyalty, no doubt!

I think... that both the lack of need for excluding English, in this day and age, as well as aditional effort it must've taken to do so  must be apparent to whomever we may thank for the decision, and I do hope that they come to realise the error of this bias regional approach and offer a solution within the next 10 hours or so.

I feel punished for living outside of my linguistic zone, all the more for the extra integration that this itetarion offers, permitting to easily aquire great, fan made files, but should there be no remedy I will be regardless forced to ask for a refund, and pray to the gods for BioWare, Maxis and any other studio of worth that has to be overseen by company prone to decisions this questionable.

A terrible move, to be sure. Short sighted would be an understatement.

Message 8 of 21 (4,471 Views)

★★★ Novice
Solved (though in a pricey way)! Replying here in case anyone has the same problem.

I caved in and bought boxed european edition.. and it works! Right now I have two Sims 4 games added to my Origin account, which looks silly. One is Origin's Polish Digital Deluxe and the second one is Multi-language regular one. And I basically have the game in English and I still have the deluxe stuff from Polish edition. Funny thing is - the european edition was even cheaper than Origin's regular, region-locked version. So I see no reasoning behind it (like I would if it was a cut version, but cheaper, for the poorer market to keep westerners from getting too low priced keys on Ebay).

To sum it up - it seems Origin digital keys will become region locked when activated, while a key from a boxed version allows you to install in the language version it came from. In my case - it was all languages available.

Still - it would be much better if EA would give a full info on how to legally buy the language version you desire.
Message 9 of 21 (4,416 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you buy the physical copy in Poland as well? Because I had the same problem in Origin so I got a refund and went to the store and picked up a physical copy to see if it will be in English. I'm afraid to open it because once I do I won't be able to return it. And no one is able to tell me if this game, bought in Poland, will have all languages available. Did you buy you physical copy in Poland or in a different European country? Thanks!!

Message 10 of 21 (4,272 Views)