Gaming Tower for Sims 4

by SophieBxnks

Original Post

Re: Gaming Tower for Sims 4

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict 

My son isn’t aware that I’m getting him this computer desktop and I don’t want to ask him as it is a surprise.

As I am unsure still as to what all the parts mean from reading what you have said I would like a solid state drive that is faster than I require (as I want the best). I would also like a larger HDD for storage. I want the best graphics card I can get, of course you mentioned the Nvidia 2060, if that is the best one I can get then that would be great. I also would like something to stop the desktop from overheating if that is possible. The best ones you can find with a well respected brand for each drive within the price range of £2000 please.

You said “As long as Windows and applications are on an SSD, they’ll load extremely quickly” How would I make sure the windows and applications are on an SSD?

I’ve tried to look on the website but unsure if I’m looking in the right place. Could you link me the options of case-style of the desktops please.

Message 11 of 55 (775 Views)

@SophieBxnks  There are a number of cards stronger than an Nvidia 2060, up to and including an Nvidia 2080 ti, which costs around £1,200 all by itself.  The reason I haven’t recommended a stronger card than the 2060 is that it won’t make even the tiniest difference to Sims 4, now or ever.  But if you’d prefer a 2060 Super, just because you can, it’s an extra £61 before VAT.

I would stay away from the next card up after the 2060 Super—the 2070—just because the only option offered is by a lower-end brand.  The next card after that is a 2070 Super, but again, by the time your son has any use for all that extra power in a few years, it will be time for a completely new card anyway.

CyberpowerPC will install Windows onto the fastest hard drive and designate it the C drive.  The way Windows and applications like Origin are set up, programs will automatically be installed to C as well, unless you decide to install elsewhere.  So as long as C is a solid state drive (which it will be), those applications, and Windows, will get the benefits of a super fast drive.

I already included liquid cooling for the processor, which is the component that generates the most heat by itself.  The graphics cards you’re considering are high quality and come with their own dual-fan setup.  These cards are generally very good at cooling themselves.  After that, it’s a matter of moving air into and out of the case quickly enough.  The processor cooler has two fans over its radiator, and the case comes with three more; five fans should be more than enough.  But I can add higher quality fans (vs. the default case fans) for £9 extra, if you want.

For the case, the site shows pictures of all your options, along with technical details.  (You can ask me about those if you want, but the cases are all fine.)  Click on the link for the build I showed you earlier, look at the list of components on the left side of the screen, and click on Case (the second one from the top).  Then you can scroll through the options and pick one you think your son will like.  Keep in mind that most of the pictures show what the case will look like with RGB lighting from the internal components.  Many of the cases themselves don’t have their own lighting by default; the RGB comes from the hardware inside, and maybe from the case fans if you get ones with LED.

So, there are a couple of choices you should make, and then I’ll send you the link.

• Do you want upgraded case fans, and do you want them plain, red LED, or blue LED? 
  • Or do you want RGB fans?  You can see the options by clicking “Case Upgrades (Fans and Lighting) from the menu on the left of the screen.
  • Do you want an Nvidia 2060, or the slightly better and somewhat more expensive 2060 Super?

Let me know, and I'll send you a new link with everything picked out.  And by the way, the next processor up from the 3700X is the 3800X, at only £28 more before VAT, so I figured you might want that too.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 55 (755 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict 

This is sounding brilliant.

Yes so I will have the 2060 Super for the extra £61 +VAT. If you could also add the higher quality fans for the extra £9 would be great, ones that are most powerful and if it has to be a certain colour I would like Blue please. If no colour is required that is also ok. The case you have originally sent me looks good to me. The 3800X processor would be brilliant thank you.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Message 13 of 55 (745 Views)

@SophieBxnks  Okay, here's the final build:

• MSI X570-A Pro motherboard, PCIe 4.0 compatible
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X processor
  • 240mm Cooler Master liquid cooling system for the processor
  • 16 GB (2x8 GB) RAM 3200 MHz
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super (made by MSI)
  • 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD
  • 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  • Corsair 750W 80+ Gold power supply

I wasn't sure whether you wanted plain black case fans or blue LED ones, so I copied the build for each one.

black:  http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1860809

blue:  http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1860810

Finally, CyberpowerPC wants me (you) to know that you can save 5% with the code BFRIDAY5 "on selected systems."  (I think I might qualify as a frequent flier by now.)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Message 14 of 55 (734 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict This is looking great. I notice the price is only £1395. Would you be able to do 32GB RAM 3200 MHz rather than 16GB and also maybe see if they do a bigger SSD than 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe, maybe 1TB if possible. I understand this will increase the price but I’m more than happy to do so as long as it’s within the price range of £2000. I would like the desktop fan plain black please also could i change the case of the desktop to Fractal Design Define R6 Silent E-ATX Brushed Aluminium Case, Black as this says it is super quiet too which was also something i was looking for as i know the fans can be quite loud. I think this was an extra £78. I really appreciate your help!

Message 15 of 55 (696 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I forgot to mention i also need to make sure that the desktop has a place where my son can place his disks in as not all of his extension packs are digital download.

Message 16 of 55 (686 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I've decided to keep the case you originally picked. I've had a go and changing a couple of the things but I'm not sure if i have done it correctly. Would you be able to check please? I mentioned above about the disk drive for a physical copy of the game. Does this desktop have one?

This is the one I've made some changes to: http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1862254

Message 17 of 55 (675 Views)

@SophieBxnks  Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

A couple of notes:  First, getting the 1 TB Samsung SSD is certainly unnecessary for most people, but it's a nice investment if you're willing to spend the money.  So no argument there.  However, the 1000W power supply is definitely overkill.  Even 750W is a bit much—the recommendation for a 2060 Super is 550W, and even a 2080 ti only needs 650W.  (I went with 750W to give you some extra leeway on the next graphics card.)  The more powerful PSUs are for people who run multiple cards side by side, which means mostly competitive gamers and even more competitive overclockers.

Additionally, 64 GB RAM will be completely useless.  Even hardcore gamers are fine with 16 GB and only go to 32 to show off, or if they like to stream or edit screenshots and videos while playing.   Sims 4 by itself runs just fine on 8 GB memory.  The only people who can make use of 64 GB are doing professional-level video editing, or compiling code, or something else on that level.

So if you want to go to 32 GB just because you can, why not, but 64 is a waste.  Besides, much like graphics cards, RAM is getting faster very quickly right now.  It would be better to wait and upgrade in a couple of years if your son thinks it's necessary.  The MSI motherboard will support memory up to 4400 MHz, a speed that isn't even certified yet.  (Anything you see in that range is factory overclocked and possibly unstable.)

Having said all that, it's your money.  I'd still skip the 64 GB RAM just because there's no conceivable way for your son to use it, but the power supply isn't all that much more expensive.

As far as DVD drives go, they're not as popular as they used to be, and only a few cases have space for them:

• Cooler Master E500L
  • Cooler Master Silencio S600
  • Cooler Master Cosmos C700P
  • Thermaltake The Tower 900
  • Thermaltake Core X71

You could pick one of those, or just get an external drive.  But with the last three, take note of their dimensions—those are massive cases with room for dual radiators and liquid cooling loops for multiple video cards.  Depending on where you want to put the case, these might not even fit.

Message 18 of 55 (657 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict  That's ok, i really appreciate your help.

Yes, i would like to go with the 1TB Samsung SSD. I will also go back from the 64 GB RAM and back to the 32 GB like you mentioned. For the sake of £25 i would like to go with the 1000W rather than 750W PSU (Power Supply) - My only worry is, will the 1000W damage or affect the computer in anyway with it being too powerful? If so i will reduce it back to 750W or even 850W. I have also upgraded from 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD to a 2TB, is this ok? Also would you check i have put the correct case on which has a disk drive for my son to insert his Disked Games.

My buid so far (If you could just double check i am correct):

• Case - Cooler Master Silencio S600 Quiet
  • Fans + Lighting - Maximum airflow 3x 120mm Black Cooling Fans
  • Noise Reduction - Cyberpower Sound Absorbing Foam, Anti Vibration Fan Mounts and Power Supply Gasket
  • CPU (Processor) - AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
  • CPU Cooling - Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System
  • Motherboard - MSI X570-A Pro, PCle 4.0 Compatible
  • Memory (RAM) - 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3200mhz
  • Graphics Card (GPU) - MSI  GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB
  • PSU (Power Supply) - Corsair RM1000x 1000W Gold.
  • M2 SSD Drive - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus - NVMe SSD
  • Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD) - 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  • Optical Drive (BLU-Ray / DVD / DVD-RW) - 24x Double Layer Dual Format
  • Wireless Networking - Wireless 9260 Wi-Fi 802.11ac Dual Band

The Link For The Final Build: http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/1863997

If you think everything is ok with this build i will purchase it right away. Thank you once again.

Message 19 of 55 (635 Views)

@SophieBxnks  It looks good.  In the link you sent, the HDD is still showing as the 1 TB version, not 2 TB, but other than that, the options are all there.  The 1000W power supply isn't an issue—the components will draw only the power they need, as they need it.  And you selected the correct case and DVD drive as well.

Your son is certainly lucky to have you as a parent, certainly for your investment in this computer, but much more so for all the effort you've put into making sure you get him the best options available.  It's impressive that someone who admittedly doesn't know much about hardware would take the time to figure things out.  I hope he enjoys that part of your gift to him as well.

Message 20 of 55 (624 Views)