Cannot Delete Individual Floor Tiles

by Unforgettable33

Original Post

Cannot Delete Individual Floor Tiles

★ Apprentice

Every time I try to delete an individual floor tile, it deletes the whole room and thus stops me from reflooring it afterwards. The room system appears to be flawed and makes building highly frustrating and difficult. The mechanics from Sims 2 and 3 were 10 times better than that of Sims 4, this is not an improvement

Message 1 of 27 (63,756 Views)

Re: Cannot Delete Individual Floor Tiles

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Unforgettable33 Yes, in Sims 4 if you use the sledgehammer on a floor it will not target just that one floor tile but then entire floor. If you want to change the tile you select the tile you want to replace the area with and either replace a single tile or shift-click to place in the entire room's flooring, or drag as you place across a specific area you want to apply it to. Once you become accustomed to it it will not seem odd to you. It's just a bit different than in 2 & 3. Hope that helps. If I did not address correctly the issue were referring to please clarify and I will do my best. Thanks!

There is useful information at this link that may help. https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/houses.php 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 27 (63,733 Views)

★ Apprentice

Unfortunately that doesn't address the issue. There is no way to remove some tiles in a room, or if you use the sledgehammer tool on all of the floor in the room, you can't then place it back. Columns also do not provide the ability to place floor tiles on top of them anymore therefore you can't create overhanging sections to a room anymore.

Message 3 of 27 (63,707 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Unforgettable33 If I am understanding correctly what you want to do, no, just deleting flooring is not an option. When you create a room the "Construction Quality Concrete" floor is created by default, along with walls that have the "Drywall" wall covering and a ceiling is built. The wall itself costs money, and it costs money to build each area/square of the room, but the actual floor tile "Construction Quality Concrete" and the "Drywall" wall covering added by default when built are both free (Cost = $0). If you want to change one or more tiles just select the floor covering you want to replace and do so in the manner I mentioned in my first post. If you want to go back to the "Construction Quality Concrete" for the area you do so not by deleting the new flooring you added with the sledgehammer but by replacing it. If you like you can replace it with "Construction Quality Concrete" at a cost of $0.

(Note: You can use the sledgehammer to delete a floor tile that is directly placed on the ground with no foundation, though.)

In Sims 4 adding flooring/ceiling above an area you want columns around that currently has no flooring/ceiling above it:

1. First, make sure the area you want the ceiling/roofing over is being considered a room by the game. You can do so my tracing the entire area with the wall tool, or by using the room tool. When you have completed the room the game will create a default floor and ceiling. You can then use 'control + wall tool' to drag over each wall you want to delete. There will be a ceiling left above it now and you can add a roof or go to the next level up and add flooring (& and fencing if you want) to that area. It should now function in the way you want with columns added.
  2. If you have a room with no ceiling, you try several things to create the ceiling. Click on the room's wall and see if the whole room highlights.
    - If the room does highlight when a wall is clicked, leave it highlighted and go to the floor above and click the yellow rim on that highlighted room and choose 'build ceiling'. You should then be able to proceed as above.
    - If the room does not highlight when a wall is clicked, re-trace the entire room with the wall tool in the manner mentioned above to complete the room and the game should create your floor and ceiling when you have finished tracing the entire perimeter of the room. You should then be able to proceed as above.
  3. Workaround: If you have an incomplete room with no ceiling you may or may not have other touchy issues with it later if you don't complete the room as above, but if you go to the floor above and create a room that covers the entire area this should also provide a way to delete those walls (as mentioned above) and leave that flooring above the room below and add your flooring tiles to that, and add your columns to the area you wanted.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if this did or did not address your issues. I'm happy to clarify further if needed. 

Message 4 of 27 (63,684 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi There

This does not fix it in the slightest. I want to line up my stairs one on top of the other and remove the concrete to open the stairs up, but I can't do it.

The whole building mechanics is just awful, provides even less freedom. You can't place concrete where you want it, it just automatically fills the entire room which does not work for my design. How do I delete individual pieces of concrete?

Kind Regards

Message 5 of 27 (63,646 Views)

Champion

@Unforgettable33 I have done a lot of fidgety stuff to get some bi-level openings that I want, and sometimes the efforts near stairs can be even trickier. There are occasionally situations where it just won't work around the stairs in the end. It really depends on a number of factors. I would be happy to try on your build and create a video for you if it works out so you could see how it worked, but I would need to know what you are looking to do, plus have you upload the build to the community gallery so I could download it to use for the demo. Would that be helpful?

Message 6 of 27 (63,641 Views)

★ Apprentice

Please observe my video above, that displays exactly what I'm trying to do, I never used to have this issue.

I also have a room that isn't classed as a room which means I can't place any flooring down!

Message 7 of 27 (63,642 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Unforgettable33 In your video I can see that the entire floor deletes, but I am not sure how much of the area you did and did not want to delete. Also, I will need an upload of your build in the gallery. You can just name it something like "stairwell test" and send me the exact name plus your exact gallery id. On the room that the game is not seeing as a room, did you try what I mentioned in #2 above? You could also tell me which room that is for the video and I can have a try at it if that method did not work.

Message 8 of 27 (63,636 Views)

★ Apprentice

It is called "Tails End - Flooring"

The room which is the issue is the front room on the first floor which was created as an over hanging room

No idea how to get the gallery ID

Message 9 of 27 (63,632 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Unforgettable33 I have created 2 videos that I hope may be os some help.

• In the first I traced the 'entryway' to make it a complete room in the game, thus creating a roof and floor that is editable per that room. I then deleted the two walls and changed the flooring: https://youtu.be/fKBcdRDT5SM
  • In the second video I reduced the opening by one tile row (I am not sure the other one can be removed) and also made an opening above the 2nd floor stairway.

In this video I re-create the opening to get rid of an extra row of tiles over the 2nd floor stairway, plus I then created an opening over the 2nd story stairway.

To build open ceiling staircase/mezzanine:

Build a complete room for the opening. Delete the floor in the room with the sledgehammer tool. Next, delete only one wall, and the floor will be rebuilt. Now delete the floor in the room with the sledgehammer tool a second time. This time it will stay deleted. Now delete walls &/or add railing/fencing as desired to the opening.

https://youtu.be/7O3cP8PwEQU

I'm not sure if these covered what you wanted to know? Please let me know.

Message 10 of 27 (63,613 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help