Re: CC and Mod Use

by Sashas0nic

Original Post

Accepted Solution

CC and Mod Use

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi Simmers,

The Seasons Expansion was / is Awesome, absolutely love it Standard smileHeart It also stopped my game, (ofc)  I start always with my 'Game Mods' folder to sort and find the culprit 'cc/mod'. Turns out it was just '3 mods' made by the same mod maker. phew.. Some updates don't require a 'fix' though. It is time consuming to maintain a 'lot' of them..

Don't forget, apart from your mods, other things can affect your game, such as system requirements with each new pack and amount of cc.. Wink

Spoiler

There is a step by step here on Clearing Cache Files (you can also move it to the desktop instead of deleting if you want to be on the safe side).  Another idea for you is to to a Clean Boot of your pc.  

Here's some troubleshooter. posts from Crinrict & another troubleshooter

Most importantly, here's Crinricts Current post on system requirements, known issues and other important links & information: Follow this link and check all

I use 1000's of cc/mods for the SIms & I also like to help people with them. Especially when I use a particular mod or cc, or when they experience problems with the game loading or needing links to more relevant places.

There was a situation recently that got a bit confusing so, I thought I'd begin this thread, that I can also refer people to. from time to time, I'm not often at the forums here but maybe you're new to the use of mods and cc etc. Following are just some handy tips that some may find helpful if 'searching' the forums.

• 1st tip is: There's no shortcut to checking through your mods folder to find broken / corrupted files, that's for sure. Large smile
  • 2nd tip is many remove the Mods folder before starting their game after 'any' update &/or new pack added, and then add them back with the 50/50 method 
Spoiler
The following flowchart is From here: Sims Wiki  also there's a good guide at Carls Sims Guide to find brocken cc/mods

sort cc for broken.jpg

Also, the EA Forums do a regular post for the broken cc/mods as well as you'll find many good Tutorials on the use of them and a more thorough section with categories on HELP with them. Don't forget the Sims4Studio, good to make an account there to use their forums too. 

While you're welcome to ask questions re: mods and cc here at Answers EA, the prior links are good as a lot of cc/mod makers are subscribed. nb: EA's stance is that you can use them: at your own risk and that they don't support them.

Not to forget youtube, with excellent videos etc, one thing's for sure, once you start using mods and cc they require a lot of maintenance re: updating and checking.. Large smile

Spoiler
I use 1000's of cc & mods, but keep them updated regularly, and set them up in different folders to sort when an issue arises such as Sims Game Update or adding a pack. (note, my game loads fairly quickly) and your game won't load or is experiencing issues.

• Apart from culling your folders one by one, or the  50/50 method, to narrow down the broken cc or mod, that is all you can do, (restarting and checking your game each time) you'll simply need to find the broken mod/cc it and remove it.
    • Mods & cc are well known to cause various in-game issues please check for updates to them / where you found them; do this also > after any sims update or adding a game pack,  Check this Mod & CC Tracker to identify broken and updated mods.. on which ones are broken or now updated; And Easy to navigate 
    • Dimitry's Mod Conflict Detector at mod the sims is good, while not being updated, seems to still work, albeit not to be relied upon more then 'culling' just an additional tool - is also not being updated past Mar 2018.(is also an app for Windows not Mac) -  as you may have accidentally downloaded some Sims 3 / 2 items is not always going to be an obvious thing It will  detect duplicates and 'wrong game' cc.. and sorts it via highlighting in bright colors.

Spoiler

Also, LuniverSims Tray importer is handy for listing all cc used on a sim (or lot) and often the Maker is listed as well - often not the case 'in-game' or on thumbnails.

if you have a lot of cc and it's hard to find, use that app (you'll need to do a search for it) you can search your sims (with the game also running) it will sometimes list the artist as well, so you may find they have updated it when you locate where they shared it in the first place. The Sims 4 Studio I mentioned in the other drop-down, also lets you search all cc, therefore you can 'see' it, but is not 'per sim'.

tray importer - luniversims

example: it was also very handy for finding the 'mod cc' that was making a maxis lot come across as 'modded', so using that tool I found I can no longer use the mod for 'place appliances anywhere' as it now makes 'all appliances' appear as cc.  I sometimes want to share a lot to the gallery without cc, so had to remove it from my game, stumbling across it accidentally while in a Maxis made lot was handy. Standard smile

I also use Sims 4 Studio for batch fixes it solves a lot of problems in bulk (but not all.) It's also available for Mac. so is imperative that I also like to keep it updated as well. Don't forget it's an Awesome Tool to find 'visually' cc you don't want, also to get rid of color swatches and other tweaks- not just for 'makers of cc' Wink

Still having problems? Troubleshooting, Clearing Cache, Clean Boot + more >>

Spoiler

There is a step by step here on Clearing Cache Files (you can also move it to the desktop instead of deleting if you want to be on the safe side).

Another idea for you is to do a Clean Boot of your pc.

Here's a post by Crinrict at his blog on Mods & CC use, also a troubleshooter. and another troubleshooter post by Crinrict

All the best everyone,

Happy CC - Mod Hunting

and Happy Simming!

Sasha

I have no connection to EA 

EDIT: The only links I had added were links I had been asked to include in the past by various Community Managers, as they were seen as necessary and non-infringing. Had also merely made this post as intended on taking a long break and this information used to help many people with mods and cc use in TS4 game. Hopefully, EA Mods can be more connected in the future, as to what they deem as infringing.   @EA_Ataashi 

That's a great post, Sashas0nic! :eahigh_file: However, I had to remove some links from it - please remember to avoid posting links to any 3rd party websites in the future, we mentioned it in our AHQ rules and guidelines. Thank you! - EA_Ataashi

Message 1 of 3 (2,819 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @PugLove888 

Yes, I think I do remember that you don't use them, I am hooked however Large smile Thanks so much for the compliments it's also appreciated!

I do like to check into the Forums here at times.. and must admit - used to gravitate to the 'mod/cc' problems, so is why I decided to make this post as a reference since I'll now be on an extended break. Wink

Happy Simming Also Angel 

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (2,804 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@Sashas0nic, as you know I don't use Mods or CC but I have to thank you for helping so many people who want to use them!  Heart   I'm too lazy EmbarrassedLarge smile to bother with them in TS4 ever since I had problems with them in TS3, but there are sooooo many people who want to use Mods and you explanations will surely help them! Angel  So thank you for your time, effort, and patience! Standard smile

Happy Simming! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 3 (2,807 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi @PugLove888 

Yes, I think I do remember that you don't use them, I am hooked however Large smile Thanks so much for the compliments it's also appreciated!

I do like to check into the Forums here at times.. and must admit - used to gravitate to the 'mod/cc' problems, so is why I decided to make this post as a reference since I'll now be on an extended break. Wink

Happy Simming Also Angel 

Message 3 of 3 (2,805 Views)