Re: Very Slow Download 24 hours and not yet finished

by Dijork

Original Post

Very Slow Download 24 hours and not yet finished

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hi

Problems with very slow download  any other game I download it at 1000 / kb approximate and swtor at 100 / kb or 200 / kb.

I try: 

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729911 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/m-p/4805820#2.

Nothing works continuously downloading at a very slow speed. Disable antivirus, delete antivirus and add ports

I can not understand how it is possible that the problem has years without solution of the launcher and everything started when they changed of launcher

Yesterday 05/27 wanted to play and start the download at 1:00 pm. Is 4:00 pm on 05/28 does not finish as the download speed is 200 / kb or 300 / kb. Try to download another 6 games and the 6 games took only 2 hours to download.

Archeage, black desert, wow, blade and soul, ffxiv and gw2.

Anything else I can do? Sorry if it sounds annoying but it is somewhat frustrating the download speed

Message 1 of 10 (2,015 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Dijork

It will largely depend on location , DNS used and ISP routing , if you want to try you can change DNS servers and as it will likely resolve to cdn-patch.swtor.com to a different CDN, if you know how you can determine what dns server resolves too by using nslookup

When I was with iinet at one address best I could get was 400 - 500 KB/s , I then moved house and used Telstra and then got 11.36 MB/s

(you can right mouse click on the picture and open in a new tab to view better) 

Swtor Download Speed.JPG  

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 10 (1,985 Views)

Re: SWTOR Launcher, inconsistent speeds

[ Edited ]
EA Live QV Team

@Dijork, first thing I'd try that used to help with slow downloads is simply pausing the download for a few minutes and then resuming. But, if you've been getting those speeds consistently with the launcher, it might be worth switching the patching method if you haven't already.

Have you gone through the steps in the Launcher Troubleshooting thread? (edited out)

Message 3 of 10 (1,954 Views)

Re: SWTOR Launcher, inconsistent speeds

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kipling 

I use wired connection, my router is connected to Fiber Optic Internet,  the ports indicated are all open, I have added the game in the antivirus, I have not modified the hosts file, I do not use vpn, I do not use LAN. (I am the only computer that uses the internet)

It is the only one that the download is slow (I have played ffxiv, the download is slow but less than a day was playing, I have 3 days downloading swtor)

Devil

Message 4 of 10 (1,938 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

4 days downloading the game at 200 / kb and 300 / kb, is the only game that I can not play since I can not download it.
From the moment you start to download it download the following games: NierAutomata, Black Desert, ffxiv, warframe, borderland 2, LOL and archeage to verify that my internet is not the problem or the distance.

I work in a hosting company and from the company try to download it with the same result
Which we have 1 gigabit fiber optic network.

I give up, I will try to play another game but I hope they solve it. Because it is difficult for new players to try to join if they present problems and just see post or look for some solution you find many more problems with the same problem.

Message 5 of 10 (1,945 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

How much space does the swtor folder use?
It may not be too long to finish

Sorry if I sound a little angry, I just want to play Disappointed

Message 6 of 10 (1,921 Views)

EA Live QV Team

@Dijork

Currently my own SWTOR folder is sitting at a little over 39GB, and that should be the bare minimum being fully patched up. Once you've done the basic troubleshooting and made sure your connection is stable, there's not much we can do on our side to help download speeds sadly.

And sounding a little angry is completely understandable. Having to wait four days to download the game would definitely get to me as well. I've only had to download the game once (back when it was 25GB) on a mobile data dongle and it certainly wasn't a fun wait.

How is the download/installation looking now?

Message 7 of 10 (1,913 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Kipling I think it's the last download, "english assets 1" and the bottom bar is full, hopefully

Message 8 of 10 (1,907 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Dijork

english asset 1 is one of the first files

Ensure there are exceptions for launcher.exe and brwc_swtor.exe in the antivirus and firewall exception lists

Just to confirm you are using a local DNS server ? as mentioned previously the swtor CDNs are GEODNS so depending on DNS server used can point you to a totally different download location and behave totally different speed wise based on ISP routing.

The CDNs are usually on footprint cdn servers

One test you can do is try a different DNS server even 8.8.8.8 being googles 

Once the DNS server is changed you should clear the dns cache per directions below

open a command prompt as administrator and type the below

ipconfig /flushdns.

When you have done this correctly, you should see the message "Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache". 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 9 of 10 (1,899 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@proxos666

The program downloaded that file at the end, finished downloading everything.

When you leave work you can play: P

Message 10 of 10 (1,890 Views)