Re: STEAM-PC Login Error "We can't log you in" - steam links 1st swtor

by Judge_Hatchet

Original Post

Accepted Solution

STEAM-PC Login Error "We can't log you in" - <RESOLVED!>

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

- Fresh install of SWTOR on steam

- start SWTOR launcher - logged in using free to play account - authentication successful - closed game

- start SWTOR launcher - change display name to main preferred account - unable to login - error message received:

"We can't log you in. Please double-check you're using the Steam account you usually play on and try again."

- logged in to SWTOR website using preferred account credentials - authentication successful - not credentials issue

IT appears that the very first account you log into when using steam bound SWTOR launcher will then link / associate your steam userid to the SWTOR account.

Why then, are you given the option in the launcher to input different account credentials if this option is locked out by design when using steam.

workaround - delete game from steam - download and install standalone client

recommendations:

Tactical short term:

1) implement a WARNING sign to end users installing and running steam SWTOR launcher at the point of entering SWTOR account credentials - THIS SWTOR ACCOUNT WILL BE LOCKED TO YOUR STEAM ACCOUNT - then remove the option to change the Display Name in a bespoke version of the launcher for steam client

Strategic long term:

2) remove the account lock down link feature to the steam account (required to manage future steam achievements?!?) allowing freedom of end user SWTOR account login irrespective of steam account.

Message 1 of 7 (41,805 Views)

Accepted Solution

@QuestorThews 

There will be an option soon to unlink the swtor account see https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-on-steam/

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (41,781 Views)

All Replies

@QuestorThews 

There will be an option soon to unlink the swtor account see https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-on-steam/

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 7 (41,782 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Steam Unlink

There is no Steam account linked to your Star Wars™: The Old Republic account.

RESOLVED!!

Many thanks for the link

Message 3 of 7 (41,464 Views)

Re: STEAM-PC Login Error "We can't log you in" - <RESOLVED!>

★ Novice
@QuestorThews this is a moronic issue with Steam!! goodness me why can't i use all my accounts now ive spent an age downloading through Steam!! sheeesh - willl just delete it and download direct from swtor-morons.
Message 4 of 7 (39,737 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I had the same problem. I've not played in years but felt like returning. I have two accounts from years and years ago. The first one I tried was just an old low level character from when I was testing the game. I found my old email for my cool high level characters and tried to log in. So now I'm locked out; "We can't log you in. Please double-check you're using the Steam account you usually play on and try again" and stuck using the low level account.

I am not downloading 200+GB again to get the classic launcher. I would have paid for a month of subscription to play my old high level characters but not to start again with low characters. Way to fail importing your games to Steam EA.

Message 5 of 7 (38,310 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@jaminjazz5000 I agree. A huge download and we are locked out. I can't log into my account with all my high level characters. I can't be bothered download the classic client.
Message 6 of 7 (38,308 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Has there been any updates or work arounds?

Message 7 of 7 (38,306 Views)