No signal on monitor - Can't start Windows anymore

by Akheront

Original Post

Accepted Solution

No signal on monitor - Can't start Windows anymore

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I installed SWTOR and launched the game, and my monitor went black showing a "No signal" message.

I've had that issue before and it's usually caused by the game starting at a higher resolution not supported by the monitor, so I tried Alt+Enter to try and swtich to windowed mode, but it didn't work. I tried Alt+Tabbing out of the game, pressing Alt+F4 and nothing worked.

So after a few minutes trying, I shut down the computer by holding the power button. I booted it again, but after the "Starting Windows" screen, I get the same issue, "No Signal".

I can start up my computer using "Safe Mode", and I updated my nVidia drivers, modified the game's client_settings.ini (even though I can't start the game in Safe Mode), and following other post's suggestions, tried CRU, but I get an error message saying "No displays found in the registry".

After trying all that, I uninstalled SWTOR, but the problem is still there.

EDIT: I just managed to "fix" it, simply by using System Restore, to a Restoration Point from just yesterday, before I had launched the game. But I don't think this is the proper solution. If I didn't have a restore point I would still have the same problem.

Message 1 of 5 (2,051 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: No signal on monitor - Can't start Windows anymore

@Akheront

Use CRU again now in normal mode and create an override and have that in place before launching swtor again

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (2,404 Views)

All Replies

@Akheront

Use CRU again now in normal mode and create an override and have that in place before launching swtor again

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 2 of 5 (2,405 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I used CRU, chose the standard resolution of my monitor, and launched the game. It works fine now. Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 5 (2,007 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The description is awfully vague, wanna give a more detailed walkthrough perhaps? A friend is having this BLACKSCREEN OF HATRED AND SEETHING TERROR and only with SWTOR, total screen/TV shutdown, signal dies completely, but the game and PC runs anyway, sound and all. If you - or anyone - is willing to give a better description, please be very specific and detailed.

Message 4 of 5 (1,891 Views)

@KarlThorsten89

Follow this guide link first

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 5 of 5 (1,883 Views)