New Game Launcher is now live

by EA_Charlie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Game Launcher is now live

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Note: This new update does not impact Steam users.

Hello everyone, 

We have wrapped testing for the new launcher and are ready to go live! The new launcher will be rolling out beginning October 4th. We will be releasing the new launcher in phases throughout the week to also verify all the supporting systems are working properly. We should have it fully released by the end of the week.

The error rate during testing was less than half a percent; however, the team has worked on implementing fixes throughout testing to ensure that players do not run into the same issues. Please understand with a larger number of players now able to download the new launcher, it is possible some players may get into a bad state. If you are someone who encounters an error, please do the following so we can troubleshoot and assist you:  

• Send an email to support@swtor.com and in the subject line include "New Game Launcher Issue".
  • Send us the host.developer.log file so we can see what issue you are facing. C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher\ on Windows
  • Include the error message/code you see on the launcher itself
  • Include the launcher version you are using (can be found under settings)
  • Include your account name 

We will also be keeping an eye on this thread to communicate updates with players and also read any reports and feedback. 

Players who already have the new launcher will not notice any changes. 

Should the timing of any of the above change, we will update this thread. Thank you for your continued patience with this project!

EDIT: 

We’re seeing some common issues players are reporting that can be fixed by using the Repair function. We wanted to highlight these scenarios for players, so they can get into a working state. 

If you see these type of errors:

• Game not launching
  • Launcher crashing
  • Blank launcher screen
  • Slow launcher

Please try:

• Open the launcher, go to settings, and run the Repair function
  • Or, if your launcher crashed during upgrade, please download the new installer from this page, run it, and choose "Repair"

If you are still experiencing issues and have not submitted your log file to Support, we highly suggest you do, so we can troubleshoot the issues further.

Charlie.png

* Je ne réponds pas aux messages privés *

Answer HQ est avant tout un forum dédié à l'entraide entre joueurs.
Vous avez trouvé la solution à votre problème ? Donnez de l'XP en cliquant sur les boutons "XP" et "Accepter comme solution".

Message 1 of 254 (122,301 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: New Game Launcher coming this week

EA Staff

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

We have been looking at the issues that players have reported. After researching and replicating these issues locally, we have the following suggestions/fixes for players:

Nothing happens when you click on play or the play button is grayed out:

• This usually means that an external application (like an antivirus) is stopping the launcher from running the SWTOR game client. This launcher was a big upgrade and sometimes antiviruses see these differences on game executables and block them. Most antiviruses offer “exclusions” or “exceptions” that you can add to whitelist applications. Usually, these options are found on settings.
  • Once you go to your antivirus settings, add the exception/exclusion and make sure you add your SWTOR install directory to this list. This will make sure that you can run the game client without an external application stopping it.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  • If this doesn’t work, then a full uninstall and a reinstall will be needed.

Launcher upgrade fails and crashes:

• We have seen issues with some BitRaider installations. If you still have a BitRaider folder in your install location, delete it and relaunch the launcher.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\BitRaider
  • If after deleting your BitRaider folder you can’t restart the launcher, you can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

• This is a very similar issue to #1 as there are some files of the launcher that can’t be called because they are being blocked by an external source. Make sure that you whitelist the installation directory on exclusions/exceptions of your antivirus but also, that you add the swtorlaunch.dll file as well. 
  • This file is located inside your installation folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtorlaunch.dll
  • If this doesn’t work, then a full uninstall and a reinstall will be needed. Note: you can also save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Launcher freezes, crashes or shows a white screen: 

• It may mean that your computer crashed during the upgrade. You can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

Launch error: Code 964:

• This is an Operating System error, so chances are that your computer crashed during upgrade. You need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

Launch error: Code 961

• This is a timeout error and that usually means that there may be connection issues. Close the launcher and try again. You may need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and running the launcher again.

Important note: In the event you must perform a re-install, you can save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings to be later restored in that same location after reinstalling the game.

If none of the above works for you, please let us know as your scenario could be a unique situation and we will work together on troubleshooting further. 

Thank you

Charlie.png

* Je ne réponds pas aux messages privés *

Answer HQ est avant tout un forum dédié à l'entraide entre joueurs.
Vous avez trouvé la solution à votre problème ? Donnez de l'XP en cliquant sur les boutons "XP" et "Accepter comme solution".

View in thread

Message 170 of 254 (60,071 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie

We 100% should've had a choice on whether or not we wanted to update. Forcing this on players with no warning is kinda disgusting imo. I mean, I wanted to play the game but I guess not since now I have to wait for the stupid launcher to update. Ridiculous.

Message 2 of 254 (119,932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, thank you for sending the information. Yes the new launcher works well and I have no problems with it so far.

Message 3 of 254 (119,506 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is what you should be paying testers for, not using your community to do your free testing for you, its the little things like this that is making this game more and more unpopular.

Message 4 of 254 (119,316 Views)

★★★ Novice

I didn't want to participate. This is what your employees get paid to test, and find problems. Not me. Quit using people!

Message 5 of 254 (119,247 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The new launcher seems to work just fine. I really don't notice any real difference in performance from the old launcher to the new one, but it could just be my old computer. Thank you very much, guys. The game at least still works great, so I don't have any real complaints.

Message 6 of 254 (119,049 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yet another horrible decision by Corporate leading to a horrible experience for the PAYING Customer (me). Not only did I not choose to be a lab rat for your sub-par product (new game launcher), said product does not work. I let it update and surprise! Now the game does NOT launch and for some reason, not included, was a way to use the old launcher that worked perfectly. And now I'm missing my progression raid team. Thanks! In the old days, people got fired over debacles like this. 

It is taking every bit of patience to not cancel my 10 yr sub. Hope this is fixed SOON.

Message 7 of 254 (118,829 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_CharlieHi.
My launcher updated, it went black and closed by itself. Now I only get a black window. I will send the mail, not problem with that, but in my case, I was about to buy on the Cartel Market the Unstable Peacemaker's Lightsaber, it is on flash sale, now I can't... So I missing a great opportunity to buy an expensive item, but thanks to this change, I can't. Will Bioware allow me to buy it at this price later? I doubt that.
Every effort made to improve this game is welcome. But not allowing me and others to play is just not fair.
Best regards.-

Message 8 of 254 (115,803 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Charlie so why did the new launcher update download the entire game again? that's a lot of wasted wifi data if all it needed to download was the launcher. or are they tied together in some weird bioware way?
Message 9 of 254 (115,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, happy to help?  My launcher crashed/relaunched a half dozen times before it finally let me sign in.  Since I didn't know I was among the Chosen, I found myself trying to troubleshoot this apparently new feature.

On to the good news.  My portable gaming wepaon of choice is a 13" laptop with a 1440p screen.  This new launcher properly reponds to HDPI and is actually readable!!  Thank you!!!!

Message 10 of 254 (115,743 Views)