Re: Graphics Issues w/ Shadows

by SolaceOfTides

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Graphics Issues w/ Shadows

★★ Novice

I have been trying to solve this issue with no success, so hopefully someone here is able to assist me.

If I play with shadows enabled (either low or high), I get some odd visual glitches. I know disabling shadows altogether is typically recommended, but if I can get this to work that would be my preference.

This first image, shows what I see with shadows on high. Character models load with no issues, but on certain types of grates, plants, and rugs, I encounter a weird black/fuzzy border that is always moving. The screenshot below doesn't show it perfectly (on the orangish rug) but it is the best screenshot I could take that would save to my folder.

https://ibb.co/r07GwSR

The second image, shows what it looks like on low shadows. None of the environment has any issues, but certain armors and character textures show up with a fuzzy, transparent, ghostlike texture that only shows up in cutscenes (couldn't get a cutscene screenshot) BUT my character portrait shows what you would see in an actual cutscene. Also, Wookies show up super creepy in cutscenes with low shadows (every layer of fur has a black fuzzy border).

https://ibb.co/LxJLQW2

I have tried every combination of graphics settings, and it seems it is either one of these issues or the other with no in-between and no solution other than disabling shadows altogether or upgrading my computer. Has anyone experienced this, and if so were you able to find a solution? I am hopeful, because I can get characters or environments to properly load independently, but not together.

Message 1 of 8 (601 Views)

Accepted Solution

@SolaceOfTides 

Your intel video is below minimum game requirements , now saying that it is also using a 2015 video driver 

try using the latest driver found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29971/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

see if any change 

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (492 Views)

All Replies

@SolaceOfTides 

Try AA on medium

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 2 of 8 (561 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Oddly enough, lowering AA to medium increases the visual glitch on my portrait, but decreases it significantly in cutscenes (on low shadows - high shadows still give leaves and grates a black aura). It is now almost unnoticeable (I haven't had a cutscene with a wookie yet to fully test). 

Just out of curiosity, any ideas why my armor has no visual glitches on high shadows but does on low? I have a hunch that if I could set Shadow Quality to High and Shader Complexity to Low, I would get the best of both worlds but the two settings seem to be tied together in a way that does not allow them to be set as such. 

Message 3 of 8 (545 Views)

★★ Novice

Nevermind, I guess it was just the lighting in that specific cutscene. I am still having the issue in most areas. 

Message 4 of 8 (527 Views)

@SolaceOfTides 

can you provide a dxdiag per https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-Posting-a-DxDiag/td-p/4832663/jump-to/fi...

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 5 of 8 (510 Views)

★★ Novice

Here you go, and thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 8 (501 Views)

@SolaceOfTides 

Your intel video is below minimum game requirements , now saying that it is also using a 2015 video driver 

try using the latest driver found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29971/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-

see if any change 

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 7 of 8 (493 Views)

★★ Novice

That worked. Thank you. 

Message 8 of 8 (467 Views)