Re: Account Verification Required on Every Logon?

by GamerGuySteve

Original Post

Account Verification Required on Every Logon?

★ Novice

I'm encountering a recurring problem with SWTOR on launch. Every time I start the game it requires that I validate my account using the one time password sent via e-mail. This is very annoying and significantly increases the time it takes to get into the game. To make matters worse this happens on two different computers. Is there a solution?

Message 1 of 14 (2,948 Views)

@Mr_Zathrus

Attach a security key that way it negates waiting for an email

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 14 (2,936 Views)

★ Guide

You can get the Security Key App.

It's free for Android and iOS and if you are a subscriber you even get 100 Cartel Coins per month extra.

This app will generate an 8-digit numeric code that you have to enter into the Security Key field in the login screen on both the launcher and swtor.com every time you want to log in.

Message 3 of 14 (2,938 Views)

★ Novice

I don't own an android or iOS mobile device and I don't want a secondary auth key used. Why am I being prompted for more than my account and password every logon?

Message 4 of 14 (2,922 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Mr_Zathrus

OTP is a One time password   a lot of the online games use it.

Generally it will prompt whenever your IP address changes for example or computer is changed.

The only option to negate the OTP is set 2 stage authentication

WinAUTH can be set on a computer / computers or a USB stick if you don't have a mobile device

Edit to answer "Why am I being prompted for more than my account and password every logon?"

Answer is Account security to stop your account being hacked

NOTE: I believe only subscribers can set a security key

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 5 of 14 (2,922 Views)

★ Guide

@proxos666 wrote:

NOTE: I believe only subscribers can set a security key

Everyone can get one, but only subscribers receive the 100 complementary cartel coins every month.

@Mr_Zathrus

You could try setting four security questions for your account.

I don't know why or if it still worked but it solved my problem when I had that once.

I had five security questions and when I removed one question I wasn't prompted for the OTP every time.

Message 6 of 14 (2,908 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks, I'll double check that one.

Message 7 of 14 (2,898 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Mr_Zathrus wrote:

I don't own an android or iOS mobile device and I don't want a secondary auth key used. Why am I being prompted for more than my account and password every logon?

When someone steals your password and gets on your account, you will complain about how it is easy to get access to accounts. One-Time Passwords are there for a good reason. You probably have a dynamic IP that is why the game doesn't recognize your PC and requires the usage of One-Time Password.

Set up a security key. Seriously, it's just a matter of 5 seconds to type its key on the launcher. You will get 100CC each month for using it. You can download an application WinAuth and have it on your PC. I don't even have a smartphone and WinAuth saved me.

Message 8 of 14 (2,878 Views)

★★★ Guide

Set up two stage authentication, and instead of waiting an indeterminant amount of time for that password to appear in your email, you can take an extra couple of seconds to type in the code. The one time password is there to keep your account safe, much like security key is, inconvenient until you need it, and then you are glad you had it. And it can be put on your computer so you don't require an iOS or Android device. 

------------------------------------------------------------------
alt-maniac extraordinaire
the Harbinger server
too many 65s to count
Imperial and Republic player

NOT an EA employee, just a volunteer here to help
Permanently sleep-depped, runs on caffeine and chocolate
Slightly Sarcastic
Message 9 of 14 (2,875 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

If you'd like to set up the security key app to avoid the one time passwords, and you don't own an IoS or Android device, look into Bluestacks.   It's an android emulator for your PC.  My wife uses it on her computer to run the Security Key App.  

Message 10 of 14 (2,849 Views)