Need advice for developing Players

by 3c10yn2rqqxo

Original Post

Re: Need advice for developing Players

★★★ Pro

@Tobbish wrote:

It does seem very random to me. I know it's not that simple, but also, it seems a lot harder than it should be to focus on developing specific players (in specific ways also, would be nice, depending on where they fall short).

They should benefit from getting chances to make the team and stuff.

But I often feel like when I try to develop players, it doesn't make much difference what I do. After a couple of seasons, some players are ready and some are not.

What I've done when I go for a rebuild is simply add some interesting prospects, and then simulate and some of them grow into something, and some don't. Also try to use the best possible coach, but I haven't really paid attention to wether or not this has really benefited particular players.

I guess that is "realistic" in a way, but also, it would be nice if it was easier to make an effort with players you want to develop faster and in a specific skill.

So much to experiment with...

@Tobbish Yes it really does seem random… was hoping to get a confirmation from the EA team on what actually dictates growth… there’s a lot of things like chemistry.. coaches.. potentials.. playing time.. roles.. etc that just are NOT explained whatsoever.. and we’re basically all just guessing at this point… it would be nice if EA could actually tell us if it is completely random… or if the factors (specifically which factors) even change the possibility.. and if some are more important than others..

ie coach development skill A+ but only getting 9:45 TOI, vs coach dev skill C+ with 17:30 TOI, what is weighted more that factors into growth?

Is it detrimental to play a prospect that has a role of 4th liner, in the AHL with top line minutes? Or is it good?

Nothing is explained… and was hoping @EA_Blueberry  could shed some light on this situation… 

things like this is why I miss having instruction manuals included in game cases back in the day lol… also with big companies and annual releases they just rush their game out the door and take their money and start on the next one to repeat the process… 

Message 11 of 30 (1,865 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I also was hoping @EA_Blueberry might help us out here. I have been experimenting, and really only gotten more confused. I used to think that if you had a top 6 player at least you could give him lots of minutes and put him on the first line and develop him, but even with time in the NHL on the top line, with great season point totals, a lot of them do nothing, even when they are 1st round picks. If the 1st round pick is lower than the top 10, it is even more likely they will not develop regardless of what you do. 

I still get lucky with some late picks, but can't figure out what causes them to grow. Third liners in the AHL all of sudden have develped past everyone who was on the first line. It would be interesting, if it was something that happened rarely. Instead it seems to happen all the time and rarely works out for your favorite players.

The only way to make sure you have a player that grows is to trade your assets away in the draft and slect the first overal, or top 5. The sim engine seems to have them flagged usually as players that will grow no matter where they go, but that is not surprising or really interesting to be honest.

EDIT: I did find a way to grow players; trade them away. The sim engine on other teams seems to push players to their potential more often than when on my team. Sad but true. I now release a lot of players I like by age 22 if they have not developed, and often they develop on other teams, and I trade for them again later. Lame, but it works.

Message 12 of 30 (1,657 Views)

★★★ Pro

@3c10yn2rqqxo wrote:

I also was hoping @EA_Blueberry might help us out here. I have been experimenting, and really only gotten more confused. I used to think that if you had a top 6 player at least you could give him lots of minutes and put him on the first line and develop him, but even with time in the NHL on the top line, with great season point totals, a lot of them do nothing, even when they are 1st round picks. If the 1st round pick is lower than the top 10, it is even more likely they will not develop regardless of what you do. 

I still get lucky with some late picks, but can't figure out what causes them to grow. Third liners in the AHL all of sudden have develped past everyone who was on the first line. It would be interesting, if it was something that happened rarely. Instead it seems to happen all the time and rarely works out for your favorite players.

The only way to make sure you have a player that grows is to trade your assets away in the draft and slect the first overal, or top 5. The sim engine seems to have them flagged usually as players that will grow no matter where they go, but that is not surprising or really interesting to be honest.

EDIT: I did find a way to grow players; trade them away. The sim engine on other teams seems to push players to their potential more often than when on my team. Sad but true. I now release a lot of players I like by age 22 if they have not developed, and often they develop on other teams, and I trade for them again later. Lame, but it works.

@3c10yn2rqqxo Now that I think of it… I’ve experienced that as well… trading them away and then they develop… seems like everything I do doesn’t work to develop them… could be med franchise… med elite.. high elite.. high top 6F/4D… doesn’t matter.. but if I trade them they skyrocket in overall…

It really would be nice to get a proper confirmation on how they develop from @EA_Blueberry because it clearly isn’t self explanatory… this is why it would be nice to have Franchise Mode deep dives… have things explained… because we know that EA’s NHL hardly ever works like it should lol so we can’t just fumble around in the dark trying to figure out how to play the game for hours instead of enjoying it…. 

Message 13 of 30 (1,644 Views)

★★★ Pro
@3c10yn2rqqxo Just a quick bump to hopefully get a real answer…
Message 14 of 30 (1,604 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@heavydutyrammer wrote:
@3c10yn2rqqxoJust a quick bump to hopefully get a real answer…

To be honest I think the trading away is the real answer, that and trading your assets for players in the top 10 (top 5 even better) in the draft, and the rest just put on the AHL team and check couple times a year to see who developed. 

Not the answer I was looking for, but it is what it is.

Message 15 of 30 (1,569 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Lol remember when we got the Franchise Mode “deep dive” before release and they just talked about X-Factors for three minutes and call it a day? Good times. 

Message 16 of 30 (1,567 Views)

★★★ Pro
@kyl_35 Ahh yes the great “deep dives” that are supposed to explain game mechanics… give “deep, in-depth explanation” of what features do… what things like “player role” means… how to develop prospects would be nice since we get so many conflicting ideas…
A deep dive, to talk about boring X factors, which were talked about in EVERY other game mode trailer… lol it is sad…
Message 17 of 30 (1,551 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I've often struggled with those who aren't elite or higher when it comes to development.  But the elites will usually have a jump from the 70s into the 80s and then work their way into the NHL.  Every playthrough right now I see Hirose and Ho-Sang fall from Top 6 to Top 9 potential - every time without exception unless I edit it.

I do remember that years ago when Aleksandr Barkov was first drafted, whether or not you had him play in a good AHL line made the difference whether he became a top player or fizzled out as an AHL Top 6 or such.  But I think much of it is supposed to be random to illustrate the uncertainty in potential -- high potential players tend to move up a setting when they move and low potential players tend to move down when they move.  Low Elites are supposed to be a grab bag where they might be great, but are likely to fizzle out - whereas a high elite can very well change to a medium franchise.

Part of it should involve your ability to get them onto the third line for offense or second line for defense to give them a chance to grow - and if you have a good team that can be hard to do.

But, yes.  I agree fully that EA needs to start being transparent with how things work - because otherwise they don't.  They seem too afraid that a competitor will figure it out and copy it to make it usable and an actual asset at all.

Message 18 of 30 (1,058 Views)

★★★ Pro
@heavydutyrammer We never did get an explanation from Blueberry before they left… now we will never get an explanation I fear as they were the only mod that ever got us information for offline game modes…
Message 19 of 30 (929 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@heavydutyrammer In playing recently, it seems that part of it is getting players up from the AHL to the NHL around the time they hit 77 - 79. If they fit with the coach's scheme well, he will place them in a higher line than they otherwise would be entitled - I just had a 78 placed in the second line, because he fit in well with other low players in that line while Pierre-Luc Dubois was sent down as the 4th line center despite being at the number in the high eighties that won't be named. If they hold their potential and position, especially if under 27, they will grow in a few seasons from that. You just have to figure out who you really want there and clear out the old guys who you don't need to make room. Players often have a tendency to fill the role they are placed in (top 9s becoming top 6s and if they are at the top of the overall range, or top 4s becoming bottom 6s if they are still at a low level at a certain age.

Some of it is random. I recruited two elite goalies with a 48 overall in recent seasons. One made it into the NHL as an 80 something elite - the other imploded and became a fringe starter before they hit 70.

The higher the number of stars, the quicker the growth can be as well. A medium elite or franchise is going to jump leaps and bounds year after year, even unplayed, while a bottom 6 F or 7th D will take years to grow and may very well not grow at all year to year.

You should also look into getting coaches with good teaching stats - and I know that the type is important as well despite the fact that I'm clueless to how much influence it has. Forward coaches will tend to increase forwards more and defensive coaches improve defensive players more. I always get an A or A+ teaching goalie coach in both the AHL and NHL for that reason - send out offers to 3-5 AHL assistant coach level goalie coaches with high stats at a time for each - someone tends to accept.

I also get very demanding owners all the time and so I have a habit of simming the regular season and then the playoffs until I have 3 losses in a round and playing manually afterward. I win a ton of Stanley Cups to keep my job and not lose the team that I spent years cultivating. Players tend to get a 1-2 overall jump, if they aren't maxed, after you win the cup. It's really kinda crappy toward rebuilders because they don't jump when you really need them to.

I would suggest getting the core elites and franchises you want to build around out fo the way first - get some older guys in the high 70s and lower 80s to fill the third and fourth lines. Meanwhile, cultivate your three and a half to four star players in the minors - more than you need since some will fizzle out. As they max out, trade those old guys away for distant trade picks - take the stanley cup winner or a contender and trade them your 83 overall third liner F and D for a first round pick 5 years later. They don't value those picks now and they will likely have to rebuild around that time.

If you get too many elites - more than you can afford - don't give them a contract until you absolutely have to, two years later, and trade them between the draft between their second and third years signed or in the draft deadline of their last year. Get those distant picks or often, if you see a really good one going first through fifth overall, use them to trade because those teams looking for draft picks also like already developed young rookie elites.

If you have the salary cap on, you can also trade those elites for guys with less potential, but long contracts and force the other team to keep half the cost so you can afford a better team.

You may be not as good when you bring in your third and fourth liners, but simply trade away the old and place in the young guy who is a high 70s and they will grow into that role.
Message 20 of 30 (908 Views)