Ice is too dark - Turn off Dynamic Mapping on OLED TV!

by crisb2411

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Ice is too dark - Turn off Dynamic Mapping on OLED TV!

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hey,

I just downloaded the X-Factor Edition for the PS5. Unfortunately the game is unplayable at the moment. The ice gets darker and darker and then it gets light again. And then again from the beginning! So playing is no fun!

EA_Blueberry: Added text to post title for easier visibility

Message 1 of 15 (3,226 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Ice too dark

★★★★★ Novice

On my TV it did the same , if you go to picture settings take off dynamic tone mapping,  should fix it.

View in thread

Message 3 of 15 (3,176 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice

@crisb2411 wrote:

Hey,

I just downloaded the X-Factor Edition for the PS5. Unfortunately the game is unplayable at the moment. The ice gets darker and darker and then it gets light again. And then again from the beginning! So playing is no fun!

I haven't had this issue at all. Are you sure the TV settings aren't making it so dark? If you have HDR maybe try disabling the HDR settings and seeing if that helps. If not try checking the brightness settings on your TV. If those fail, look to see if it's in game mode, game mode from my experience seems to dim things quite a bit. 

If none of these help then wait for an official EA account replies. But you can try those in the meantime. 

Message 2 of 15 (3,185 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

On my TV it did the same , if you go to picture settings take off dynamic tone mapping,  should fix it.

Message 3 of 15 (3,177 Views)

★ Apprentice

Now it works. But that is not right. I hope there will be a fix.

Message 4 of 15 (3,076 Views)

Screen Brightness darkens?

★★★ Newbie

I’ve noticed the screen Brightness changes/dims/goes dark when you approach the blue lines when playing a game. It is always bright down by the goalie. Any fix options? Thanks

Message 5 of 15 (3,077 Views)

Re: Screen Brightness darkens?

★★★★★ Apprentice

@bjrshowcattle1 wrote:

I’ve noticed the screen Brightness changes/dims/goes dark when you approach the blue lines when playing a game. It is always bright down by the goalie. Any fix options? Thanks

There's another post just like this. Not sure if it's the same issue but give some of these ideas a try. 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-News/Ice-too-dark/m-p/10843119#M1188

Message 6 of 15 (3,074 Views)

Community Manager

This is likely a TV issue rather than a game issue.

As above, check your TV settings for Dynamic Tone Mapping or similar.

It is possible this is caused by Automatic Brightness Limiting and may or may not be a user adjustable setting.

Potentially more of an issue on an OLED TV.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 7 of 15 (3,028 Views)

★ Apprentice
@EA_Barry Yes I am using a 2021 LG OLED TV. But NHL is the only game where such problems occur. NHL 22 still makes a very unfinished impression on the PS5!
Message 8 of 15 (3,023 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same issue I had but once I turned the dynamic tone mapping off and lowered the brightness down a bit ,the ice looks fantastic as does the players. I truly believe it's a tv issue , hope it helps.

Message 9 of 15 (2,998 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@20Portugal04Hi, i did everything like turn off the dynamic tone mapping and resolve the problem but now the luminosity is super low. I look at game play on ps5 of other person and the ice look super chill. I begin to think about a game problem. This is the only game with this problem. And now without dynamic tone mapping all my other games look less bright .

Just to know i have an Lg NANO85

The first pic is with dynamic tone and the second, Without. The last one is nhl 21 look super bright

Message 10 of 15 (2,916 Views)
Twitter Stream

nhl-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help