Re: will the sims ever be online like the original TSO (The SIMS Online)?

by darkaudit

Original Post

will the sims ever be online like the original TSO (The SIMS Online)?

★★★ Newbie

will the sims ever be online like the original TSO (The SIMS Online)? That was THE BEST!!!

I want to be able to play live with my daughter out in Montana USA and my granddaughters in Michigan USA!!! I have been playing the SIMS since the original SIMS<3

4 generations of simmers here!!!

Thank you for an awesome game!

S. Moberg

Michigan USA

Message 1 of 13 (781 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah it is supposed to.  EA CEO confirmed the Sims 5 will be.  https://www.ibtimes.com/sims-5-features-seemingly-confirmed-ea-ceo-291587 There are also mobile versions with the Sims with the Sims Free play and the Sims Mobile you can play with family.  Sims 4 was going to be the next Sims Online, but with SimCity 2013 servers crashed so much with the traffic.  I think that is why so many companies are moving to Texas including Maxis Sims 5 team because cooling for servers are better there are less of a drought problem than California.  It takes a lot of water to keep servers cool. https://www.computerworld.com/article/2510244/in-texas-heat--servers-take-dip-to-keep-cool.html. Why Tesla moved there too.

Message 2 of 13 (751 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Scobren wrote:

I think that is why so many companies are moving to Texas including Maxis Sims 5 team because cooling for servers are better there are less of a drought problem than California.  It takes a lot of water to keep servers cool. https://www.computerworld.com/article/2510244/in-texas-heat--servers-take-dip-to-keep-cool.html. Why Tesla moved there too.

For the rest of the world, Texas is a terrible place to put servers. Ping to Texas is rubbish and with US infrastructure being notoriously bad...and Texas being right in middle of all the bad infrastructure...let's just say rest of world hates Texas servers.

Message 3 of 13 (746 Views)

Champion

@Scobren , that isn't why companies are moving to Texas.... Texas is notoriously hot!  Wink I know this firsthand! 😅 The summers here are miserable.  Much of Texas is in a drought right now, though it doesn't seem as bad since it is winter.  They are testing that new cooling system in Texas probably because Texas is hot, but in that case it would work just as well in California, if the tests can prove that a cooling system like this can work!  I would think that if their hypothesis with this cooling system is correct, then they could implement this system all over the world. Only time will tell. 😎

@MzMolls We don't even know for certain if there will even be a Sims 5, let alone it will be online or not. There is no official confirmation on any of this as of yet.  That said, I do think EA is probably working on the Sims 5 , but that is just my guess.Wink  I do not work for EA, so I really have no idea.  Employees have spoken publicly about the future, but this isn't the same as an official announcement. 🙂

But game development takes a long time and, in the past, even when they did announce a new Sims game it was way in advance of it being released. For example, The Sims 2 was announced on May 5, 2003, but didn't release until September 14 (or 16 depending on where you lived) 2004. That is a year and 4 1/2 months gap!  For The Sims 3, that was announced March 19, 2008, and released on June 2, 2003, with a gap of a little over a year. Sims 4 was announced in May of 2013 and released in September 2014, which again was a gap of year and 4 months.  

While EA employees have mentioned online capability for the future, we don't know if this will be The Sims 5 or if they are planning on another branch of the Sims like they did with The Sims Online (20 years ago!)  or the Sims Medieval, or the My Sims franchise. And even if they are specifically talking about The Sims 5 and not another offshoot of the Sims , since the Sims 5 has not been officially announced yet, it would most likely be over a year away (at the earliest) if they were to announce it today.  That said, EA has also mentioned having enough content for a few more years for the Sims 4.

I hope that if the Sims 5 has online capability, that we can still play it by ourselves if we want to! 😊
Happy Simming! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 13 (735 Views)

★ Guide
@PugLove888 That is good to know. Hope you stay safe there with the crazy weather there lately. It is cool so many systems are being tested there. I would love the Sims Medieval to come back as an online game.
Message 5 of 13 (719 Views)

Champion

@Scobren , thanks , you stay safe too!  Angel

So far this year our weather isn't too crazy for this part of Texas.  The temperatures are up and down but that is normal for winter.  We are in a bit of a drought, but that was because we usually get a decent amount of rain in the fall, especially around October, but that didn't happen this year.  However, last winter was a doozy! 🥶

But I hear other parts of North America had a big snowstorm! 😨

I loved the Sims Medieval!  I do miss that game! 😊  I can't imagine if it were online! 😅

Message 6 of 13 (702 Views)

★ Guide

@PugLove888 Thanks had some snow but nothing like the East Coast.  Mostly freezing fog which causes car batteries to freeze and stop working.  Just the ice storms and fires have been bad.  I do need to check out the Sims Medieval sometime.  I know there is a FreeSO mod that brought the Sims Online back.  I do play Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley and Minecraft with a lot of my friends, so at least for me I have options in a safe environment.  Eco is getting quite large too especially in the role-playing community and neat to see some Simmers enjoy that game.  Farm Together was a blast too with friends and very life simulation as well with an adorable art style.  I do think it will be harder for the Sims to enter the online market now compared to 22 years ago.  A lot has changed in that time and Simmers are far more diverse now and multi generational now with kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.  I tend to observe social media on how well the community gets along or not and at this time, don't think the community can handle the main game being MMO, but yeah with Sims Online being a side game sold separately from the Sims, hard to tell if it will sell as well or be as successful as Fortnite.  I mean their events are literally Epic from what they show on YouTube with real musicians performing live in game and players attending like a concert.  Sims events well are kind of pale in comparison which is sad.  There just isn't that community feel with events even with the mobile game events.  It is all achievement and time sensitive focused.  Makes me miss the community events Sims 4 used to have with the Jasmine Sim.

Message 7 of 13 (656 Views)

★ Guide
@MzMolls I was there too, and I remember row after row of single-skill-building houses. Like full of nothing but weight machines or craft tables. *shudder*
Message 8 of 13 (634 Views)

Champion

@Scobren Yikes! 😱 Freezing fog! Sounds horrible! Sounds a bit painful too! 😬
I'm sorry you are having both ice storms and fires!😣  You would hope one would cancel out the other! Disappointed 

Sims Medieval was a more linear game, but still a lot of fun, as you could try playing as several different characters who each had different rolls.  I never played Sims Online because it didn't interest me to play with a bunch of strangers who might destroy my house or hurt my Sims. This is why I hope it is like how Animal Crossing does it and also can be played as a single player game!  But it is hard to believe that Sims Online came out exactly 20 years ago! 

I have a relative who says I need to play Stardew Valley because he knows I would love it, and I have a friend whose whole family plays Minecraft. But I don't have those games at the moment. I don't know Eco or Farm Together.  

When you say that " compared to 22 years ago.  A lot has changed in that time and Simmers are far more diverse now and multi generational now with kids, grandkids, and great grandkids." , I'm not sure what you mean.Wondering  I knew elderly people who played the original The Sims, as well as some people who played when they were like 9 or 10  (even though it was supposed to be for Teens and older) because their older siblings played it. So that was pretty multi-generational.😃 And sometimes whole families played it.   Also Simmers were always a diverse bunch since The Sims was popular all over the world! 🥰 . So I don't think that has really changed at all.  But perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying. 🤷‍♀️
While I don't think the Sims Online had as much of a multi-generational appeal, I do know that the original TS1 did! 

Ah! Jasmine Holiday! Always fun to see her when she showed up! 😄 I do miss those events!  I could be wrong, but i think they stopped doing those events around the time TS4 came to consoles.  My guess is that since back then consoles had not caught up with all the packs and patches that PC and Mac had, that it would be difficult to have the events for all platforms. But we did have that event last summer with the concert, so I guess they were able to now do that since consoles have caught up to PC/Mac in regards to patches and packs.  But that is just my thinking.  😉

Message 9 of 13 (630 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@PugLove888Yeah think you would like Stardew Valley. I mean multigenerational of players now from multiple generations that have played since different versions of the Sims now which is really cool. New game has more languages now too which is nice for players. Sims MMO does make me think of players playing around the world too, like will it be set by region with servers or will it be one massive server? I know SimCity had issues with servers crashing, so that is one of the concerns I have with it. That concert event was fun and I had heard of two of the artists on it, but was nice to be connected with another one too. It is nice we get music artists from all over the world now too to do Simlish songs.

Message 10 of 13 (613 Views)