Re: thermost doesn't seem to be working

by EuphorialQueen

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop  In a test save, I downloaded and placed your lot called "The Modern" in Newcrest and set the season to winter and the season length to 28 days so I would have plenty of days with snow and freezing temperatures. I did have the same problem you reported in your original post where my Sims would change into their Cold Weather outfits when moving around to various rooms (i.e. from an upstairs bedroom to the kitchen on the main floor). I kept the thermostat set to warm and they would get the good moodlets from it, but yeah they still changed into Cold Weather outfits when inside the house.

After trying a few experiments the only thing I have found to correct the problem was to add a ceiling to the patio area on the top floor (the area with the patio furniture and gas grill). This is not an ideal solution and there might be a better way of doing it (I am not an expert builder) but after adding this ceiling section my Sims will no longer switch to Cold Weather outfits while in the house. I tested this for several game-days with snow and freezing temperatures outside and all looked good.

Oh btw that open area on the second floor that overlooks the main floor is fine as it is, that was not causing any problems as far as I could tell.

It really is a great looking house and I enjoyed playing in it while doing these experiments. I can definitely see adding this lot to my regular game-play saves! :D

Message 11 of 16 (482 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Thanks for testing it!  Unfortunately, that solution looks terrible on this house.  Frown  Is there a way to make a suggestion to the devs?  It seems to me that there may be a simple fix to a whole host of weather related issues.  If the user can click a room and designate it as indoor or outdoor that should resolve the problem.  It should also resolve the opposite problem which is when the sim goes to an outdoor balcony/patio in his/her underwear and isn't affected by the weather conditions.  

And thanks for the compliment on the house.  Feel free to give it a HeartStandard smile  Also, you can submit it to the "most awesome build of all times" list, have it showcased by Maxis and Sims 4 and call me Architect Supremo if you want.  Standard smile  I kid, I kid!  Well maybe I kid.  Okay, no, I kid.  lol

As for "Downward Living," have you tested that one?  I'm pretty sure that everything has a ceiling on it.  However, the very bottom basement, where the garden is) had to be set to taller walsl to accommodate the trees so I'm wondering if that may be the issue there.  I haven't tested that theory though so was just wondering if you had.  

By the way, "Downward Living" is a prime example of why we should have elevators in our build options.  lol

Message 12 of 16 (443 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@PenguinFoop  There is a bug report for the issue with indoor pools.

[OPEN] [S] Indoor pool has greyed out options in freezing weather

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-S-Indoor-pool-has-greyed-out-options-in-freezing-weather/...

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 13 of 16 (435 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop I have both versions (new and original) of your "The Modern" house downloaded (and Favorited) to My Library. The original version with the open patio area should work well in worlds like Oasis Springs or Sulani where it never freezes (I think?). I have not yet placed the newer version in my game but I will do that sometime soon as I am curious to see how you built the new roof section.

I have not yet tried the "Downward Living" house, I'm thinking that will be next. The only indoor pool I can think of that I ever use is at the gym in Windenburg. I've modified that lot for all of my saves because I do recall it having weather-related design problems but I can't remember if the swimming pool being grayed-out on freezing days was one of them.

Message 14 of 16 (382 Views)

★ Guide

Cool.  Glad you have it downloaded.  I removed the one without the roof from the gallery though.  I didn't think about using it in maybe Oasis (that's the only world I have that shouldn't have many, if any freezing days/nights since it's a desert.)

As for "Downward Living," I haven't double-checked the ceiling or anything in that one because I've just been loving "The Modern" so much.  lol

Message 15 of 16 (369 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop Here is the roof build I came up with for your "The Modern" house for the outside deck area. I actually finished this roof design a few days ago but I had to wait for winter to end in this save (I use the long 28-day seasons in my game). It was too hard to see any detail when it was covered in snow. My Sim will not change into her Cold Weather outfit in this house even with no thermostat installed at all. I know it's not the solution you are looking for but a roof like this can still look very nice in the game. I changed the curved wall to angular to go better with the octagonal roof section.

03-25-20_8-38-36 PM.png03-25-20_9-08-26 PM.png

Disregard the changes to the fences and yard area, that's just me trying to see if this house would fit on a 30 x 20 lot (it will). Also the windows look different because I don't have some of the packs you used in your Gallery upload. Speaking of the Gallery, I am looking forward to using this version in my regular game saves but of course I will not upload it to the Gallery. This is your build. I decided against trying the "no roof" version in Oasis Springs because of the thunderstorms I often see there on Mystery Weather days.

I did place the "Downward Living" house in this same test save but unfortunately there wasn't anything I was able to find to fix the swimming pool issue. I tested the indoor pool at the gym in Windenburg and the same thing was happening there. It seems like swimming pools only look at outside temperatures even if the pool is indoors. I'm sure you have seen the Bug Report on this by now. It's still good for swimming laps even on freezing days.

Anyhow, good luck I hope this helps :D

Message 16 of 16 (313 Views)