Re: thermost doesn't seem to be working

by PenguinFoop

Original Post

thermost doesn't seem to be working

★ Guide

My sim, Lorenzo, got out of bed and started shivering.  He went to go downstairs to get his leftovers for breakfast and put on his snowsuit!  I checked the thermostat and it was set to warmer so I don't understand why he has to wear a snowsuit indoors.  He gets the central heating moodlet but yet he was shivering and is now wearing his snowsuit.  Is my thermostat broken?

I never noticed this problem with any of my one story houses that I have but it happens in both of my multi-story ones.  One even has a swimming pool 3 levels below ground and in the freezing temperatures it still says it's too cold to swim.  The swimming pool is in the house.  So is there an issue with multi-story houses and thermostats or is it my game?

I even tried putting a thermostat on each floor but still, the same thing.  It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time.  It just seems weird to see my sim in front of a lit fireplace trying to practice the piano while wearing gloves or getting into a full snowsuit to go into the next room to use the restroom.

I'm on the Xbox One

Message 1 of 16 (1,012 Views)

★ Guide

Here's a link from forums.thesims.com  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussions It appears I'm not alone.

Message 2 of 16 (967 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@PenguinFoop wrote:

Here's a link from forums.thesims.com  https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussions It appears I'm not alone.

Thank you for posting here Standard smile
Hopefully we can help you find a solution.
For clarification I am adding the direct link to your original post:
Thermostat Issues
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/973460/thermostat-issues/p1

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 3 of 16 (949 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop I saw something like this at the Harbor Quarter Gym in Windenburg after I installed the Seasons pack. Even though I added a thermostat and put the temperature setting to warm, my Sims would change from their Athletic outfits to Cold Weather outfits when walking from the fitness areas on the main and upper floors to the showers in the basement. It had that odd seating area, adjacent to the basement swimming pool, that had an open ceiling to the sidewalk area outside. I closed that ceiling area and now I do not see this problem anymore.

I've seen similar effects like this in a few, but not all, other public venues that were designed prior to the Seasons EP release. Like snow inside nightclubs and karaoke clubs. I've gone back into Build/Buy mode and fixed any design flaws I could find (i.e. missing ceiling sections, false or incomplete rooms, etc.) and this seems to have cleared that problem too. I save these "fixed" versions in My Library so I can use them in new saves.

This might be the easiest fix to try. It does not involve any cheats or mods. If you do not wish to spend that much time in Build/Buy mode, maybe you could check The Gallery for already-fixed versions of any venues you are having problems with.

I hope this helps :D

Message 4 of 16 (923 Views)

★ Guide

@RandomBuzziness wrote:

@PenguinFoop I saw something like this at the Harbor Quarter Gym in Windenburg after I installed the Seasons pack. Even though I added a thermostat and put the temperature setting to warm, my Sims would change from their Athletic outfits to Cold Weather outfits when walking from the fitness areas on the main and upper floors to the showers in the basement. It had that odd seating area, adjacent to the basement swimming pool, that had an open ceiling to the sidewalk area outside. I closed that ceiling area and now I do not see this problem anymore.

I've seen similar effects like this in a few, but not all, other public venues that were designed prior to the Seasons EP release. Like snow inside nightclubs and karaoke clubs. I've gone back into Build/Buy mode and fixed any design flaws I could find (i.e. missing ceiling sections, false or incomplete rooms, etc.) and this seems to have cleared that problem too. I save these "fixed" versions in My Library so I can use them in new saves.

This might be the easiest fix to try. It does not involve any cheats or mods. If you do not wish to spend that much time in Build/Buy mode, maybe you could check The Gallery for already-fixed versions of any venues you are having problems with.

I hope this helps :D

This is good information but the thing is that these are houses that I've built and I know that each of them have a ceiling (not just a roof) on the upper floors and that only one of them has a roof missing on the downstairs because I wanted to make a balcony that looks down into the main entrance from the second floor.  But again, the second floor has a ceiling and roof.

Also, the other multi-floor building does the same although it has ceilings in all rooms on all levels.  I've also noticed on that one that the garden plants (located on the fourth level basement I think) start dripping when it's raining outside and the pool which is located on the basement level above the garden still won't let them swim when it's freezing outside.  So not sure if these two are different issues or if they're all related to the thermostat.  But the thermostat should make the pool swimmable and keep the sims from having to wear their winter clothes inside a closed house.

Message 5 of 16 (911 Views)

★ Guide

So I started a new game and built a single story house then made it into a two-story house and I can't duplicate the issue.  Frown  I even removed the ceiling of the downstairs so that only the roof was protecting from the elements.  I then removed a section of the floor but still can't duplicate the issue.  Frown

Message 6 of 16 (894 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop Well the good news is that your game might not be bugged, it could just be something in those builds that is a little bit off and the game is allowing outside weather to affect the inside. I mean like a quirk in the build system and not a mistake on your part. Which platform are you on? Would you be willing to upload one or both lots into The Gallery in case others might be able to do some testing?

At least one of the buildings I had to fix in San Myshuno was a case where all walls, ceilings, and the roof were intact but the game was not recognizing all of the interior spaces as "rooms". It was like parts of it were a bunch of separate walls but nothing I could select the as an actual room in Build Mode. I mean it looked nice and everything was fine until I downloaded Seasons, and then I started seeing that outside weather effects were getting inside. I re-modeled the walls so that all spaces could be selected as "rooms" in Build Mode and then the thermostats worked fine & no more snow would get inside. Maybe something like that is going on for you? I hope it's something we can figure out because your buildings sound awesome! :D

Message 7 of 16 (873 Views)

★ Guide

@RandomBuzziness wrote:

@PenguinFoop Well the good news is that your game might not be bugged, it could just be something in those builds that is a little bit off and the game is allowing outside weather to affect the inside. I mean like a quirk in the build system and not a mistake on your part. Which platform are you on? Would you be willing to upload one or both lots into The Gallery in case others might be able to do some testing?

At least one of the buildings I had to fix in San Myshuno was a case where all walls, ceilings, and the roof were intact but the game was not recognizing all of the interior spaces as "rooms". It was like parts of it were a bunch of separate walls but nothing I could select the as an actual room in Build Mode. I mean it looked nice and everything was fine until I downloaded Seasons, and then I started seeing that outside weather effects were getting inside. I re-modeled the walls so that all spaces could be selected as "rooms" in Build Mode and then the thermostats worked fine & no more snow would get inside. Maybe something like that is going on for you? I hope it's something we can figure out because your buildings sound awesome! :D

Thanks.  I think they're awesome, but I'm biased.  lol  Anyway, they're both in the gallery.  The one with the indoor balcony is called "The Modern" and the one with the multiple basements is called "Downward Living."   I'm sort of wondering if the problem is Windenburg.  I'm testing it now in Newcrest to see if it works there.

Message 8 of 16 (841 Views)

★ Guide

Okay, I tested the house in every world that I own and it still has the same issue.  I checked the house and everything that should have a ceiling and/or floor has one so I don't know what to do.  Frown  

Message 9 of 16 (828 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PenguinFoop I have them both downloaded and I will try to play around with things tomorrow. I don't have one of the packs you used in your builds so I am not sure how well it will work out though.

Message 10 of 16 (806 Views)