Re: sims 4 discover university not showing

by MISSJLD21

Original Post

★ Novice
@EA_Mai Hi, I was just told there was an issue with The Sims 4 Legacy Edition and The Sims 4 Discover University and it will be compatible soon by technical support? is that true?
Message 81 of 127 (2,677 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi everyone,

Let me try to answer as many questions as possible!

The Sims 4 does no longer support non-Metal Macs or 32-bit OS PCs. If your computer doesn't meet the new minimum requirements, we made Legacy Edition available to you so you can keep playing your previously purchased games, but Discover University (you can check system requirements here) or any future packs won't be compatible with Legacy Edition. This is not something that will change with future game updates. For more information on this, please read this thread.

In summary: if you need Legacy Edition, you cannot run The Sims 4 Discover University.

How to know if your computer is able to run the current version of The Sims 4 or needs Legacy Edition?

PC:
Is your Windows 32 or 64 bit? If 32-bit, you will need to download Legacy Edition.

1. Right click on The Sims 4 game on Origin > Game Properties
  2. Go to Advanced Launch Options and check 'When launching this game...' dropdown menu.
    • If you have both 64 bit and 32 bit option there, you are in a 64 bit Windows, and you don't need to install The Sims 4 Legacy Edition. Make sure to select 64 bit though, otherwise you will be asked to download Legacy Edition as that's the version that can run in 32 bit.
    • If you don't get the option to choose 64 bit, it means your OS is 32 bit and you will need to download The Sims 4 Legacy Edition to keep playing your game.

Mac:

The game now requires Metal - both your Mac (its graphics card) and the macOS version you have installed on your Mac must support Metal for The Sims 4 to run.

First of all, press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple menu (Apple logo, top left) > System Information. Now, with this information in mind:

• If your Mac is from 2011 or older, it doesn't support Metal. Please, install and play the Legacy Edition.
  • If your Mac is from 2012 or newer, and you are using macOS Mojave (10.14) or Catalina (10.15), then your Mac supports Apple's Metal technology as otherwise you wouldn't have been able to install these versions of macOS. You can continue using the standard The Sims 4.
  • Otherwise, please, check if your Mac is in this list of Macs that support Metal on El Capitan or laterhttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073.
    • If your Mac is not listed there, you will have to download Legacy Edition to play.
    • If your Mac is listed there and you are using macOS El Capitan (10.11) or newer, you will be able to continue using the standard edition of The Sims 4.
    • If your Mac is listed there and you are using an older version of macOS, you will need to update your Mac to be able to use the standard edition of The Sims 4. If updating your macOS is not an option for you, please, download and play using Legacy Edition.

What if I purchased The Sims 4 Discover University but my computer is not supported?

If you purchased the pack but you can only play The Sims 4 Legacy Edition, please, get in touch with one of our advisers through EA Help: https://help.ea.com.

Also, please, keep in mind that future packs will require a Mac that supports Metal or a 64-bit Windows as well.

Message 82 of 127 (45,020 Views)

@MISSJLD21  I'm not going to comment about how this was handled, but as to your question, any new Mac would support Metal, as would most models from 2012 or later.  Here's a full list:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073

If you want advice on buying a new (or new to you) computer, feel free to post in either the Mac or PC tech section of the Sims 4 forum here.

@Emmster02  Your computer should in fact support the standard edition of Sims 4, unless you happen to have the 32-bit version of Windows for some reason.  But Origin might be launching the game in 32-bit.  To change the setting, right-click on the Sims 4 icon in your Origin library, select Game Properties > Advanced Launch Options, and make sure 64-bit is selected in the dropdown menu.  If you don't see it, right-click on the Sims 4 icon and select Repair, then look again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 83 of 127 (2,636 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey! So I had the same issues and basically had to just get a refund. I spoke to the EA support chat and they said the sims can’t work on my Mac and said they’d give me a refund. I’m really disappointed because I’ve been wanting a sims 4 university to come out for years now. Also what makes it worse is you can’t really find anything about the subject or if it’ll be fixed for us to use it In the future 🤦🏻‍♀️

Message 84 of 127 (2,603 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Is there any truth to this??

Message 85 of 127 (2,587 Views)

@Zaynibh and @MISSJLD21  Depending on the specs of a particular Mac, the standard version of Sims 4 may not work anymore.  That's why there's a Legacy Edition.  It's been widely posted that Discover University won't work in the LE, although I guess not everyone saw it.  It's nice that EA support is willing to give refunds in such cases though.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/7677543#M1...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 86 of 127 (2,580 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Thank you so much for answering my questions. Appreciate your support! 

Message 87 of 127 (2,567 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Good morning,

My computer uses Windows 10 and is a 64 bit, but the processor is AMD Ryzen 3 2200U, 2.5 GHz. I have 4 GBs of installed RAM (3.66 usable). I was under the impression that I would be able to play with the update, but it suggests the legacy edition. It also allows me to open the 64 bit, but when I do it says that my computer has insufficient space. I want to know if I should just buy it and play lol

Message 88 of 127 (2,499 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I only get a language drop menu and a window to type 'Command line arguments', do you know if I can do anything with it? Thanks
Message 89 of 127 (2,454 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I hope someone sues.

Message 90 of 127 (2,454 Views)