Re: reporting CC hidden behind paywalls?

by Thats_Me_Madz

Original Post

reporting CC hidden behind paywalls?

★★★ Apprentice

so a long time ago, i read on the sims forums that, since you can't keep tabs on EVERYONE holding their CC hostage for money, we should report sites where this is happening. however, i tried reporting some sites, and i was basically given the middle finger. how are we supposed to report these sites breaking the terms of service agreement if you guys don't take action?

Message 1 of 9 (8,980 Views)

★★★ Guide

The Sims doesn't officially support Mods/CCs. They have allowed their game to have Mods/CCs but they don't officially support them. It it up to individual players to choose if they want (at their own risk) to add Mods/CCs to their game. Some CC creators choose to make their creations free to the broader playing public, others choose to ask for a donation (via Patreon etc) as CC making can be time consuming and the creators, like any artist, would like some recognition for their work.

Message 2 of 9 (8,961 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Thats_Me_Madz I used to make CC for Sims 3. It's been a few years since I've been into this kind of thing, but from what I remember, having a Patreon site is not considered to be the same thing as locking CC or mods behind a paywall.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16175450/#Comment_16175450

I'm just a regular Sims player, I do not work for EA.

Message 3 of 9 (8,958 Views)

★★★★ Expert

It IS if the creators never release their content from behind the paywall. Which a LOT of them don't.

Message 4 of 9 (8,923 Views)

★★★ Expert

This topic has come up before and the previous guidance from EA was if you see a CC creator who is ignoring EA's Patreon rule then you should report it here:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/how-to-report-cheat-hack-scam-websites-to-ea/

I'm just a regular Sims player, I don't work for EA. If I got any of this wrong, hopefully one of the CM's can provide further guidance.

Message 5 of 9 (8,910 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@RandomBuzziness

Yea, it's come up a few times, I remember. I've even reported a number of them myself.

Problem is, in order for EA to actually DO something, they'll have to spend MONEY. Which we ALL know they never will. This is why it's just hollow words on EA's part. Nothing will ever be done, that's why the creators freely break it because they know nothing will ever be done to stop them.
Message 6 of 9 (8,896 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Thats_Me_Madz the first part of your reply has nothing to do with what i'm asking, and the second part shows that you are unaware of section five of EA's terms of service agreement, as well as the fact that i got information straight from a sims guru that they want people reporting sites that break these laws. would you like to be educated on this? i literally have a blog entry i made that's basically a research paper. i AM a CC creator, and yes, recognition for our work is fine. donations are fine. but we are NOT permitted to keep our CC behind a paywall. we can do early access for a max of two weeks before we are required to unlock the content to be free for the general public. it does not matter that the game makers don't support mods, that has nothing to do with the fact that all created content by third parties made for EA games are THEIR property, not ours.

Message 7 of 9 (8,860 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@RandomBuzzinessthe problem is, when i reported these sites, like you said, nothing was done about it. there's even a NSFW site that claims there is no copyright for CC, so they are allowed to post it, and as far as i know, that site is still up. it charges TWENTY DOLLARS just to download their first tier of other people's work, even things the real creators have released for free to everyone like they're supposed to.

Message 8 of 9 (8,858 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@ReitannaThere are many of those who hide their stuff behind paywall forever. Over two years old stuff that was once for free download on MTS is now hidden behind paywall since day one paywal creation. Reporting those sites somehow does not work though. I have tried to report a few and after adding all the details and clicked send, the spinning case wheel "We are creating your case, sit tight and stay on this page" just keeps spinning and never got through, no matter what browser you use.

Message 9 of 9 (7,731 Views)