Re: prevent losing current family and homes when I transfer game to an external

by EA_Mai

Original Post

prevent losing current family and homes when I transfer game to an external HD

★★★ Newbie

I need to get the game (SIMS) off my computer for awhile and I believe I can transfer it to an external HD.  My daughter says that she loses her current game (family buildings etc) when it gets moved.  Can I prevent this?  thanks

m

Message 1 of 4 (528 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @ixartly,

I wouldn't recommend installing the game on an external HD, your computer needs to access the game files as fast as possible, and usually external drives are not the best option for this.

To prevent losing your daughter's save games and other content, create a copy (backup) of The Sims 3 folder you can find in Documents > Electronic Arts. You can store that folder in a safe place, and when you install the game back, you can just place the folder back in Documents > Electronic Arts for all the families, buildings, etc. to show in-game again Standard smile

Please, let us know if you have any questions!

-Mai

Message 2 of 4 (481 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks so much for your response.  I assume the same method applies to SIMS 4?    another question please---my daughter is playing on both mine, and my husbands, computers and he is seeing that it is taking up about 22 gig of space.  Does this seem correct?  This is why we want to get it off.  we don't have room to add our own files.  Any thoughts?  we want her to have it but.....

thanks again!

m

@ixartly

Message 3 of 4 (422 Views)

EA app Team

Oh, yes, @ixartly, this also applies for The Sims 4, just the folder is The Sims 4 instead of The Sims 3.

Moving your thread to The Sims 4 board then Wink

About those 22GB... well, depends, which packs do you have installed? It seems correct if you have all or most of the packs installed in the computer.

The game needs that space for its files, and there's not much you can do about it Frown

-Mai

Message 4 of 4 (416 Views)