Re: my game will not load because my mods folder is to large

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

my game will not load because my mods folder is to large

★ Novice

hey simmers I been trying to load my game with all my mods and my game takes forever to load .I currently have over 100+ GB of CC..whats the max amount of content to have.

Message 1 of 5 (6,085 Views)

@IamYourTrendSim  There is no maximum amount of allowed custom content with Sims 4.  However, as you're seeing, the more you have, the longer the game will take to load.  Some of this depends on the speed of your system as well: the process will go faster if the data loading is stored on a solid state drive, or to a lesser extent if the processor and RAM run at faster speeds.

If you're unable to play because the game takes too long to load, then the solution (at least in this case) is to cut back on the cc.  I can't tell you how much cc is too much, since that will depend on your tolerance for long loading times.  But maybe there are items you never use in-game that you could put aside.  Or you might have themed items that you only use in one or two saves; you could swap these back and forth depending on which save you intend to play.  Some people even have multiple Sims 4 user folders (the one in Documents\Electronic Arts), each with a different theme, e.g. one has Medieval content, another has magic fantasy stuff, another has normal content.

There's probably a good solution for you if you're willing to spend a little bit of time organizing things.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (6,051 Views)

★ Guide

Your RAM is probably going NAAAAaahhhh to all the mods & cc.

Sort the CC in your mods folder by size and look at how big the files are. A lot of CC creators are inexperienced with game design and will make CC with way too many polygons or way too big texture resolution. If you see CC wich is considerably larger than the rest seemingly with no reason to be, you should get rid of those.

Message 3 of 5 (6,017 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don’t mind waiting for my game to load because of cc but I will hit play and sit and wait but then the play screen pops up again to hit play.  Could it be because a mod is broken?  I originally thought I had to many mods.  Any tips?

Message 4 of 5 (4,590 Views)

Hero

@19656c569b31753d 

The simple answer is yes.  Broken mods and/or CC will cause that.  So, you need to go through what you have and find anything that is broken.  And the more you have, the more likelihood that there is more than a few broken things.  I also suggest you take a look at what you have and also get rid of things you don't use.  Also look for and isolate your default replacements so that you only have one for things like skin tones, eyes, etc.  Having more than one of each type will cause them to sort of fight each other and slow your game down.  You'd be surprised at how cleaning out your mods and CC will improve the game's loading times and performance.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 5 (4,575 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help