how

by 3334dff

Original Post

Accepted Solution

how

★★★ Newbie

im new and i want to play the sism its on special so im going to buy it but the problem is data 

How much data is required to download the game both base and deluxe 

Message 1 of 4 (258 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: how

[ Edited ]

@3334dff  The Sims 4 base game uses 18 GB of storage and a bit less than that in data when downloading.  (The files are compressed, but not enough to make much of a difference.)  The Digital Deluxe edition is not materially larger than that: it just contains a few small extra items.  Your hard drive will need more like 40 GB free to install it.

If the problem is downloading that amount of data, there are ways around this, for example downloading the game while using a public wifi connection such as the one at a library.  You could also in theory download the game onto a friend's computer, copy it to a USB stick and then to your own computer, and let Origin verify the files rather than downloading everything; let me know if you need more specific instructions for this process.

And of course you don't need to download the game right away: you can buy it now and wait as long as you want.  Once the game is in your Origin account's library, it will stay there for good.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (224 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@3334dff  The Sims 4 base game uses 18 GB of storage and a bit less than that in data when downloading.  (The files are compressed, but not enough to make much of a difference.)  The Digital Deluxe edition is not materially larger than that: it just contains a few small extra items.  Your hard drive will need more like 40 GB free to install it.

If the problem is downloading that amount of data, there are ways around this, for example downloading the game while using a public wifi connection such as the one at a library.  You could also in theory download the game onto a friend's computer, copy it to a USB stick and then to your own computer, and let Origin verify the files rather than downloading everything; let me know if you need more specific instructions for this process.

And of course you don't need to download the game right away: you can buy it now and wait as long as you want.  Once the game is in your Origin account's library, it will stay there for good.

Message 2 of 4 (225 Views)

★★★ Newbie

can you please explain the USB part cause i think im going to use it im  not sure because i really want the sims and we do have wifi but i feel it will take alot of data, also thanks

Message 3 of 4 (190 Views)

@3334dff  If you have access to a friend's computer, you'll first need to install Origin if you haven't already.  Sign into your account, plug in the USB stick, and change the install location within Origin to a folder on the USB.  (The option is under Application Settings > Installs & Saves.)

Once the game is downloaded, sign into Origin on your computer.  Start the download of Sims 4, which you're now downloading directly onto your computer's hard drive, and then pause it, but don't cancel it, and leave Origin open.  Plug in the USB stick and copy the Sims 4 install files to the location on your hard drive where the game is being installed.  Once the files are all in place, resume the download; Origin should verify the presence of the files and finalize the install, which can take a few minutes but not nearly as long as downloading from scratch.

You could also use an external hard drive instead of a USB stick; the point is to have some sort of storage large enough to accommodate the entire game.  When you're installing on your own computer, you're not going to point Origin to the USB but rather Program Files (x86)\Origin Games (the default location) or wherever you want the game installed.

Message 4 of 4 (173 Views)