does anyone know why my sims keep going bald?

by ieatgreenblood

Original Post

does anyone know why my sims keep going bald?

★ Novice

I spend hours creating  my Sims....as do many of us.when I go back to play after shutting down many of my Sims have lost their hair ...this has never happened before . 

Ive been playing Sims games for YEARS and this has never happened before .So clearly I wonder if anyone has had this happen and does anyone know how to fix it ? thank you

Message 1 of 9 (11,135 Views)

Re: does anyone know why my sims keep going bald?

Champion

@ieatgreenblood 

Do you have Mods or CC (or have you ever had them)? If you do please remove them in this process and try the troubleshooting as described below. (If you don't have Mods or CC, just skip the part about removing the Mods folder, but still delete the cache files mentioned and run the repair.) If you ever had Mods or CC in the past then do the steps as if you have them currently (removing the Mods folder), as there could be damage that has remained after you removed them.

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

If it was Mods/CC: If this fixes the issue I would recommend that you check with the Mod and CC creators to see if there are any known issues with their Mod/CC clashing with the recent update and if so do they have an updated Mod/CC that will address the changes in the game's code from the update. You can then re-add your updated Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted also.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

SheriGR Coffee cup I don’t work for EA

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 9 (11,112 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@ieatgreenblood   Every time it has happened to me it was because the bald sim had a CC hair that I no longer have. (or didn't have when I saved it)

What I mean is, If you are having a problem with CC, or maybe you updated the game and it automatically turned off CC/Mods (like it usually does), if your mods/cc are turned off, and you load the game and SAVE IT while the mods/cc are disabled, any sim with CC hair will become bald.

Unfortunately, turning the mods/cc back on in the options won't fix it. If you saved the game while cc was disabled, the change is permanent on that save.

If that happened, you have two options, you can either find every bald sim and manually set their hair again... or load up an older save.

If you have a bald sim and whatever CC hair you had on them still works, that's likely what happened.

To prevent it happening in the future, whenever the game updates, load the game, DO NOT load a world. Go straight into options, turn on CC/mods/scripts, and exit the game completely. The next time you run it, it should work fine.

Message 3 of 9 (11,101 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Psychotps Thank you for the CC information. That makes a lot of sense. I don't use Mods or CC so I haven't gone through that process. I was assuming it could either be something like that, or a situation where the CC was broken by a patch and this stripped all of the hair. What you describe reminds me of what happened to me when I disabled all packs while building a BaseGame lot. I thought it would make things easier. Let's just say some households (and probably lots too, though I rolled most of it back) got stripped of non BaseGame items. I went into my game and found some sims were bald or in their undies for certain outfits. <Duh?! > Grrrr... annoying lesson to learn. Raised eyebrow

Message 4 of 9 (11,085 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@SheriGR   That's the same thing. Add-on packs come with hair, clothing. If you disabled the add-on packs, any sims with hair from those packs would become bald/naked once you saved the game without the packs installed.

It's the same problem with the same solution. Either restore from an older save or manually go through, take them all into cas and set them back up.

What I do in that circumstance? I have a separate world called "Unmodded". If I want to build lots/sims with no mods, I load up that world. Doesn't matter if I save it or not, it's basically only a junk world. If I remove all my mods, I just make sure to load up THAT world and not my main playthrough worlds until I put the mods/cc back in.

Do that. Create a new world called "Base Game". If you remove all your add-ons and packs, make sure to ONLY load up THAT world. Do not load up any of your others until you put the packs back in.

Message 5 of 9 (11,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Psychotps That's exactly what I did!   I have a save now that is BaseGame only, and if I ever want to enable all packs I only load that one. Hard lesson to learn the hard way, but it could have be way worse, so I'm thankful for that. If worse comes to worse, this is why I make daily backups. Standard smile

Message 6 of 9 (11,019 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@SheriGR I think it happens to all of us. I had a main world I played a while ago. I don't remember what I did, but I think I saved it while testing mods, removed them all. Had a lot of bald-naked sims. I had no backup so I had no choice but to use the cas cheat to load up every one I spotted while playing.

Obviously I've been a lot more careful since.
Message 7 of 9 (11,004 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello. I just bought the Sims 4 base game and seasons bundle.Previously, I have played sims 4 from an unlicensed game that I have downloaded (didnt use and CCs or mods there) but I have deleted every related file before buying and setting up the original game. Now every sim (except mine) is bald and naked. I have deleted the files with 'cache' in their names, repaired the game from origin, the CC/mod setting is checked, but I still receive 'Items removed' warning constantly. What should I do?

Message 8 of 9 (8,423 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@bgmbst

If you saved the game with mods removed, even once, that will permanently remove ALL CC from all sims and all houses in that save. There's nothing you can do except manually put everything back in every house and every sim.

Never save the game with mods removed unless you want exactly that to happen.
Message 9 of 9 (8,387 Views)