adding a second floor with out Destroying roof?

by muppethero

Original Post

Accepted Solution

adding a second floor with out Destroying roof?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Is there a way to move to roof up and build the second floor without destroying the roof? 

Message 1 of 6 (12,666 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: adding a second floor with out Destroying roof?

[ Edited ]
Champion

@muppethero I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you put a roof on the first floor and you want to go up a level (roof up) and add a second floor  but not have it delete the roof you have on the first floor, then yes and no.

If you have a roof on the first floor, and you go to the second floor and begin creating rooms on that level, you will usually see the roof that you made already 'clip' (disappear) in the areas where you make the new rooms there. Sometimes making the rooms on the second floor will simply delete the roof, and sometimes the roof that was there may not 'clip' where it meets the new room and may go right into it (not the normal behavior, but sometimes it happens). It all depends on how you make the second floor and what type of roofing you had already added to the first floor.

I have occasionally literally moved a roof up a level (or just sat it on the ground temporarily) before in order to add it back onto another floor level or to put back in place after making a room.
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.06.48 AM.png

I hope that makes sense. I apologize if I'm  not making sense, as I may be misunderstanding the question. If so, please clarify.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (12,631 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion

@muppethero I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you put a roof on the first floor and you want to go up a level (roof up) and add a second floor  but not have it delete the roof you have on the first floor, then yes and no.

If you have a roof on the first floor, and you go to the second floor and begin creating rooms on that level, you will usually see the roof that you made already 'clip' (disappear) in the areas where you make the new rooms there. Sometimes making the rooms on the second floor will simply delete the roof, and sometimes the roof that was there may not 'clip' where it meets the new room and may go right into it (not the normal behavior, but sometimes it happens). It all depends on how you make the second floor and what type of roofing you had already added to the first floor.

I have occasionally literally moved a roof up a level (or just sat it on the ground temporarily) before in order to add it back onto another floor level or to put back in place after making a room.
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.06.48 AM.png

I hope that makes sense. I apologize if I'm  not making sense, as I may be misunderstanding the question. If so, please clarify.

Message 2 of 6 (12,632 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I guess the issue is all my roof solar panels. I will just take them off. 

Message 3 of 6 (12,613 Views)

Champion

@muppethero You could do that, or move the roof and see if the panels will successfully move with it. It may depend on the angle and the type of roofing they're on (and if you placed them with MOO). Or you can move the panels that will overlap rooms you're adding to your inventory, then add them to the roofing you add to your new room(s) or something like that. I hope it works out in a way you're very happy with. 

Message 4 of 6 (12,603 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I realize this is an old post, but I'm replying in case someone else is wondering the same thing as I did. It was tedious, but I added a full third story and an attic under the roof. FIRST, save your lot in case you need to recreate it (Editing to add that I mean save it to your library, just to be clear, in case anyone is new to the game--newer than the two mos of experience I have. :D). Then I copied the roof and went up a level to place it. I could have just moved it, but I wanted to be able to see if everything looked right. Of course, I couldn't easily see the original roof under the new one. Most everything was still intact, but I did need to make changes, like removing the detail trim around the 2nd level, and a couple of finials were missing, moved, or just weird. (I was remodeling a build I found on the gallery.) So, it can be done. If your build is nice and rectangular, Standard smile it is so much easier, but raising the roof is a matter of moving it up a level or copying it if you're paranoid like me and then making sure everything is there.

Message 5 of 6 (7,171 Views)

Community Manager

Hi Everyone,  

This post has gotten pretty old at this point, I will be locking it to prevent necroposting.  

If you are running into further issues, please make a new post letting us know what is happening and we can provide any relevant information available.  

Thanks! 

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 6 of 6 (7,165 Views)