Re: Will Sims 4 run on this computer?

by Margreet_m

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will Sims 4 run on this computer?

★★ Novice

Been looking for a pc and came across this one. I would only use it for Sims 4 + some expansion packs and some basic video editing.

Acer Aspire XC-886 I5422
- Intel Core i5-9400
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- RAM 8GB
- 1TB HDD + 256GB SDD

I'm feeling pretty good about this pc but I would love to hear from others. Would this be a good purchase? Will The Sims run on this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10 (2,597 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Margreet_m  The first one is better overall.  An Nviida 1650 is about 40% faster for gaming than a 1050, and it can run Sims 4 (all packs included) on ultra settings with some room to spare.  I know you don't need ultra settings, but it's nice to have.  And as the game gets more demanding with the release of future packs, the difference may well be noticeable enough to affect your enjoyment of the game.  The two processors are equivalent in performance.

I don't know what storage those laptops have, but 256 GB is more than enough for Sims 4 and any mods and custom content you'd want to add.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (2,415 Views)

All Replies

@Margreet_m  Most of the hardware is fine for Sims 4.  The only thing missing from that comptuer is a dedicated graphics card, but it's the single most important component in deciding how well a given computer will run most games, including Sims 4.  With only an integrated graphics chip, the game would run on medium settings at best.  And depending on what kind of video editing you plan on doing, the integrated chip might not be sufficient for that either.

From the specs you listed, I would expect the computer to have a dedicated card.  If you want me to look over the product page, just link it here.  Or if it does not in fact have a dedicated card, I can look for other options that would work better.  Just list your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you.

Message 2 of 10 (2,563 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict It really doesn’t have a dedicated card. If I would be able to find a computer with similar specs but a different graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 for example), it would run the game better I assume?

But I could get away with Intel UHD and play the game reasonably well?

Thank you for your time. I’m from the Netherlands and trying to find something around €700,- but I don’t think that’ll be enough to get a desktop or laptop with NVIDIA GeForce.

However, my MacBook Air (2019) doesn’t have an amazing graphics card either but the game runs fine. I just don’t want to exhaust the laptop since it was definitely not made for games like The Sims. 

Message 3 of 10 (2,545 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I did find a laptop with the following specs:

Lenovo Ideapad L340-15IRH 81LK0150MH

- Intel Core i5 - 9300HF

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

- 8GB RAM

- 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD

Would that be better? Would love to hear your (or anyone else’s) opinion.

Message 4 of 10 (2,540 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Margreet_m  The Acer would probably accommodate a dedicated card if you wanted to buy one separately, but of course that would raise the price.  If you did upgrade it, the Acer would be a much better option than the Lenovo.  However, the Lenovo's GTX 1050 makes it better for Sims than the Acer.  While the Intel UHD 630 could run Sims 4 on medium settings, and maybe only barely, the 1050 should be able to handle either ultra or a mix of high and ultra settings.  The 1050 is about 400% faster in gaming.

If you'd like, I can look at sites in the Netherlands and see what's available.  Just link me the sites you might buy from.  Or, if you prefer, you can link a few models you're considering, and I'll take a look.

Message 5 of 10 (2,510 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I kind of know what I have to look for if I would like to play the game with high and/or ultra settings. However, that's not necessarily what I need. If Intel UHD 630 can run the game smoothly in medium, than I'm fine with that as well. It's just that I have no experience with a graphics card like that so I'm not sure.

My MacBook Air has the following specs and, for me, the game played really well and I didn't mind the lower settings. I just don't want to risk the lifespan of the laptop.
- Intel Core i5
- Intel UHD Graphics 617

So would Intel UHD Graphics 630 perform better than the 617? 

Message 6 of 10 (2,485 Views)

@Margreet_m  The UHD 630 is definitely better than the UHD 617.  It's still not even as fast as a Radeon Vega 8 graphics chip though, let alone one of the dedicated graphics cards.  If you're fine playing on medium settings, or maybe low-medium in a year or two (as more demanding packs are released), then it'll work.  Or if you're planning on buying a dedicated card at some later point, the Acer will certainly hold up in the interim.  Just don't expect the game to look great.

Message 7 of 10 (2,459 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I narrowed it down to two laptops. I thought about it and did some more research and a laptop will be the easiest for me.

ACER Nitro 5 (AN515-43-R6G5)
- AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Lenovo Ideapad L340-15IRH 81LK0150MH
- Intel Core i5-9300HF
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

In terms of processor and graphics card, what would be the best choice?
Message 8 of 10 (2,433 Views)

@Margreet_m  The first one is better overall.  An Nviida 1650 is about 40% faster for gaming than a 1050, and it can run Sims 4 (all packs included) on ultra settings with some room to spare.  I know you don't need ultra settings, but it's nice to have.  And as the game gets more demanding with the release of future packs, the difference may well be noticeable enough to affect your enjoyment of the game.  The two processors are equivalent in performance.

I don't know what storage those laptops have, but 256 GB is more than enough for Sims 4 and any mods and custom content you'd want to add.

Message 9 of 10 (2,416 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict The Acer has 512GB SSD so that should be enough. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it!
Message 10 of 10 (2,401 Views)