Re: Why is Prom happening every single week??

by CommodoreLezmo

Original Post

★ Guide

So poor design? Not allowing players who play with aging off to experience and decide on major life events. Sounds terrific 

Message 11 of 37 (1,569 Views)

★ Guide

Well scheduling prom so I can enjoy rotation play and deciding on life events in a life simulation game seems not to be possible. 

Message 12 of 37 (1,569 Views)

Champion

@taffster74 , High school in the U.S. is actually 4 years, and for most students it is for the years aged 14-18.  Of course, there are some exceptions depending on when a particular student's birthday is, or if they are really smart and skipped a grade, or had a really hard time and had to do over a grade, but usually high school is for ages 14 through 18. Standard smile

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 13 of 37 (1,556 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Really poor design choices throughout this pack. Prom should be an event the player plans. I play on long life span with new years eve to new year's eve being a full year. it'd be nice to schedule prom at the end of summer. It annoys me some players are like "you can just ignore prom one week and not go". For a player who plays with seasons and relies on the calender/ holiday feature in their gameplay heavily. Not being able to plan holiday events on a Saturday is game breaking. Love the items just wish I could disable everything but the items and go back before the update. If it weren't for build/buy and cas I'd disable this pack through Origin. I said after My Wedding stories I'd be strong and stop buying Sims 4 content, I caved obviously but I mean it this time. Quitting smoking was easier than quitting Sims 4 content. And being honest smoking was less damaging to my mental health. My own fault for having hope in this game and belief it could get better. 

Message 14 of 37 (1,433 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@CommodoreLezmo Absolutely agree. We already have a low amount of "Social Events" we can throw, having Prom being one of those instead would have been much better for the pack. We don't even have seasonal parties for the Seasons pack, like Sims 3's Pool and Spooky Parties as an example. Sure, you can make a Holiday where you do those things, but you don't earn anything, and it isn't a party. Would be nice to have more "Events" to plan and throw on our own time, instead of being forced to do them every single weekend. At the very least, Prom should have been 1 weekend out of the entire school year, since that's literally how Prom works IRL. It's once a year, and only once a year. Seems weird that this pack was based solely on the American school system, yet literally isn't. I wouldn't mind a British themed pack instead, because at least that means they most likely don't have Prom every weekend in it lol And I agree with the smoking part. I stopped at 22, and it gave me less headaches than the Sims 4 as a whole. And I've been believing it could get better since 2014, at release. It hasn't. It feels like half-butted effort. The idea is amazing, but it isn't followed through, and that's what's disappointing to me
Message 15 of 37 (1,387 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@NyxValkoinenexactly, before I realised how useful that calendar was I never touched the 'events' at all. My Sim would always get the sad buff from a forgotten birthday. I've been using the Calendar religiously for a while now. Certain events like Love Day and Spooky day I always scheduled on a Saturday so I had time to actively play my own scenarios on those days without school or work being an issue. I was so excited for high school years, I stopped playing my save two weeks before release as it had reached the end off the summer holidays for my two teenage Twins and wanted to start a realistic school year. Frown You can imagine my disappointment. It's really bad game design and it genuinely feels like pack cross compatibility hasn't even been considered. I wanted to play from end of summer to end of summer ending with prom. I had to download a mod so I could have normal weddings again after My Wedding stories removes the base game event if you have it installed. Now I'll have to wait for a mod to disable high school events. I'm fed up of buying packs for features that look amazing only to have to hunt down a way of disabling them in game. Either due to bugs or in this case a bad judgement call on the game designers part. PS well done for quitting smoking. Wish me luck on quitting buying game breaking content. Lol

Message 16 of 37 (1,383 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I'd say it's just replacing the normal school dances with prom. We had at least one semi-formal dance every season school was in session and then we'd have informal dances just for because, or dances for like Halloween and stuff. Instead of making a bunch of different themed dances, (which would probably be more difficult and cause even more bugs,) I assume they called it all "Prom" just because it's the easiest solution and allows them to do the most with it.  

Message 17 of 37 (1,365 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@vyvexthorne I wish it was as simple as pretending but unfortunately my issue isn't necessarily with how frequent prom is. It's the fact that it stops you from being able to plan holiday events on a Friday and Saturday full stop. Frown
Message 18 of 37 (1,355 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@CommodoreLezmoAhh.. I play with the calendar on two week months. The school events are only "planned" for 4 weeks so I can scroll down past that and add holidays on any days because nothing is planned yet.

There seem to be two ways around this predicament.

1. Households without kids can still create holidays on those days, so you simply go to an un-played household that doesn't have kids, add the holidays when you want, save, go back to your household and the holiday will be on the calendar. You can un-favorite the other household from the manage household tab which will reset them back to a non-played household after that if you want.

2. Go to the settings and set the calendar for longer than a 7 day month, scroll down past 4 weeks and enter the holiday you want on a Friday or Saturday. Go back to the calendar length settings and make them a 7 day month again. This will move the holidays you created into the days that you can't create holidays. (I think the first option is the easiest though as you don't have to try to calculate where the holidays will get moved to.)

Message 19 of 37 (1,345 Views)

★★ Pro
@NyxValkoinen wait what?? what's this about going to school for only 4 weeks? D:
Message 20 of 37 (1,331 Views)