Why does the Sims 4 suck so much?

by Dequan_Gambrell

Original Post

Re: Why does the Sims 4 suck so much?

★★★★★ Newbie
@PugLove888 The game sucks in general, The sims team shot out the gate going on about their engine that was built from the ground up, making all new things possible, they then said it wasn't possible to add pools to the game, or newborns, fans raged as they should and ta da pools were added in as well as a poor substitute for the babies, the sims 4 A.I is not very smart, sims don't think for themselves even for the smallest task and often cycle doing repetitive actions, the game is lack luster and incomplete no matter how many packs and add-ons and mini packs ea forces down your throats, I have no honest idea why you bothered to answer that persons question of your response is "If you prefer TS3, then you are free to play that to your heart's content!" I can see clearly why your badge reads *Volunteer position, Not EA Staff. The game is broken and instead of everyone who they name sim guru actually fixing it they continue to pump out nonsense after nonsense so deep up in EA's you know what that they have the same nasty "If you prefer xxxx, then you are free to play that to your heart's content!' the game blows and without modders and mods even the adult based mods alot of people wouldnt even study it. Why should people be excited for them adding body hair to the sims 4 wow adding textures that we had ages ago and in mods to the sims 4 well I'm glad its you their robbing and not us. You do not understand their passion because no matter how much they type in caps your whole wording comes off as being a pain in the same place the sims team have their head up. So to answer him the reason the sims 4 sucks so much is because as much talent as the staff has they are in a working situation where they need to do what the big heads say or they are out and another robotic yes man or woman is in that job position, the sims 4 is for now the worst sims game made.
Message 41 of 75 (1,366 Views)

Right, 2022 and the Sims 4 still sucks. Not everyone has the money to buy all the packs, and honestly, the base game is so boring that I wouldn't want to. I own about 2 packs and 3 or 4 kits. But that's it. The AI stinks so bad that ,seriously, what's the point? Console players don't have it fair because we cannot mod the game to make it more fun. But if you really have to mod a video game just to make it fun, then it's not a real game to begin with. And no one is insulting EA. We have given EA a lot of time and money. I have played all the console Sims except Sims 3 ( because I didn't own a ps3), and I have to say that my two favs are Sims 2, and The Urbz. How on Earth can you downgrade your own game that actually has a loyal fan base? Pay for this, pay for that. The packs cost more than the actual game itself! By the time you're done paying for all the packs, you might as well have bought a bunch of other games that are more fun than this one. 

P.S. My daughter's grandparents bought her all the packs at their house...and she is still bored of the game. And please fix the AI like I've requested. I'm so sick of the sims not doing what I tell them to do, or not making an actual connection with other sims because once they are away from their paramour, they don't even really think about them unless they come to visit. Out of sight, out of mind huh?

Message 42 of 75 (1,270 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@3b92278050b2eabe6b24e7be12921809 Geez are you my twin? Because so much of what you said sounds like my own views of the game lol.

When it comes to the packs some people (like me) not only can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on them, but wouldn't want to spend THAT much money on a single game. I keep playing simply because I love these types of games but I can't get the ones I actually enjoy (Sims 2 or Sims 3) to run well enough on my PC, so I'm stuck with this mess if I want to play one of these games. Totally agree with the AI, it's awful and just doesn't seem to know what it's doing at times. I keep the autonomy on because I prefer letting the sims do their own thing, but most times I wish I'd just turn autonomy off. When you talked about the sims not doing what you tell them, I feel it's because of the autonomy. You could manually fill their queue with actions, but then your sim could decide that they want yet another glass of water which kills your entire queue. Don't even get me started on the AI for infant/toddler care... that's just terrible.

Personally I feel this game is a downgrade as well. In terms of content it may have the potential to offer more than any other in the series, but how much are you spending for that potential and just because there's more content that doesn't make it better. Plus the execution on everything I've seen is very poor. I may not have all the packs, I have one pack which was free, but one of my favorite YouTubers buys them and plays them on his channel so I've seen a lot of the problems without ever playing them. Then when the game is so full of problems and they just continue to release pack after pack, I'm sorry but that's just wrong. I understand that as a company it's EA's goal to make money, but have some respect for your product and most of all your customers. They need to stop with the packs for a moment and actually fix the existing content, because I'm seeing WAY too many problems that have been around for years yet go ignored in favor of paid content. In fact I reported one earlier in the bug section since I didn't see a recent topic about it, but when I went back to check I saw it had been merged in with a 2 year old topic... 2 years and it's not fixed!

The Urbz was my jam by the way. I have the console version on Gamecube, and I also have the handheld version on the DS and played the crap out of them. I also loved Sims 2 so much that I unintentionally fried the motherboard on one of my old computers from playing it so much.

Message 43 of 75 (1,257 Views)

Yes nelly! we must be two peas in a pod, lol. The Urbz was so great, man it was fantastic. And the Sims 2 had so many interesting things happening in it, that it was like a soap opera drama or something but with aliens and what not. I miss the haunted ghost town in the Urbz, and I miss the fashion too. I honestly forgot about turning off the auto for the sims, but I feel like that isn't a good representation of the game's AI. So when you let the sims do their own thing and guide them, the AI should be responsive to what you choose for them to do. It stinks. Also, they take way too long to complete a task, so the game gets boring while they are reading a book or something. Also, my sim will play the violin until she is ready to pee herself and starve to death. I'm like come on EA, and this is your main Sims game? LOL.

Message 44 of 75 (1,247 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@3b92278050b2eabe6b24e7be12921809 Honestly it feels odd having someone on here that actually has similar feelings as me with this game. I always feel like a complete outcast here since I'm not in the big majority of people that just put up with so much of this.

The Urbz, especially the console version, just had a really nice and interesting vibe to it overall. I loved how they had the different areas you could explore, with each having their own little groups of characters. In a way it reminds me of Bully and how that game has groups like the jocks, nerds, preps, and the others. It made the game feel alive.

The autonomy certainly needs to be better, or at the very least... smarter. It just seems too... moronic I guess is a good word (I had another word in mind, though gotta remember this site is family friendly lol). Watching the autonomy is honestly like my life, it's just the same crap over and over and I play these games to escape my reality not be reminded of it. I guess EA figures people will want full control and will disable autonomy, but yeah I feel that the characters should be at least somewhat competent with autonomy on instead of constantly going for drinks and sitting at the computer all day.

You talk about tasks taking too long, I was just watching my sim trying to cook something when a family member started talking to them. Things like that take what are already long interactions and just drag them out even more, especially because sims seem to focus too much on the conversation instead of what they were doing. Then you have things like writing books or writing songs... good lord wake me up when that task is done.

I've noticed that when it comes to violins, sims will not autonomously quit if they've autonomously started. In most cases a sim will autonomously quit an action they started on their own, especially if their needs are low, but yeah for whatever reason they just won't stop with the violin. Things like the violin and the coffee and tea makers are items I simply won't put in my homes anymore because they're too annoying. Seriously, try putting the coffee or tea makers in your sims' homes and watch them turn into an addict suffering from withdrawal. They pretty much turn into Tyrone Biggums from Chappelle's Show, but with coffee and tea instead of.... other things that I doubt I can mention here.

Message 45 of 75 (1,228 Views)

Tyrone Biggums! I should make him in the Sims! HAHAHA. But I doubt he would be interesting enough to keep me occupied. I even tried to make a "Death House" in the game because I was making it as a funny reality t.v. show. It was funny at first because of how awful I built the house, so some would drown in the indoor pool, and I did things like putting the toilet underwater, then outside when they kept peeing the floor. But then it got boring because it's really hard to kill them off unless they drown or die of old age. It's so hard to electrocute them, even when the fridge is sparking and in puddles of water and pee. LOL, wt heck man? I cant's even kill them off properly. If they start a kitchen fire, most of the time another sim will hose them down with the fire extinguisher. So no fun there either. I also wish they had the capability to go insane over time, instead of just giving them the "erratic" trait. The game is so predictable, it's just weird. I was so surprised when I was actually able to make my sim polygamous because sims get so angry and jealous so quick. But then somehow, after not playing my house for a while, I go back, and her paramours get angry with her when she gets with any one of them. Come on, make it make sense EA please. I unlocked the "player/playette"  aspiration already so let me use it.

Message 46 of 75 (1,208 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@3b92278050b2eabe6b24e7be12921809 If you played on a computer with mods then you could probably make an interesting Tyrone, I mean there is at least one specific mod that would allow him to feed his habit lol. I'd criticize you for wanting to kill your sims... then again that reminds me of the save where I tried killing every sim I could... okay so there was more than one save like that lol. While playing on consoles I'd put a pool in the basement with walls most of the way around it, and when I wanted sims to die I'd let them get in then fully enclose the pool with a wall so they couldn't get out. I even put in windows so my sim could watch, isn't that thoughtful? On PC I just used mods to kill people, makes it much easier.

You sound like someone that would enjoy watching Call Me Kevin play this game on YouTube. I swear his goal every video is to just torment his sims. He even did something similar to what you described, where he locked a bunch of sims in a house and the one that was left alive at the end was the "winner". He did another thing with the father winter characters where he locked a bunch in his basement, then used a mod to have them all fight to the death.

And yeah it is too predictable, especially when you've played it a long time. Like you mentioned trying to electrocute a sim, but even that's too predictable because if they're in a positive mood then the odds of them failing the repair seem almost impossible. Unlike older games I don't even bother having a high skill when repairing because the risk isn't very high, yet in older games if you tried that with a low skill just call the coroner lol. Another thing that's too predictable is romance. You can go from complete strangers to being married in like a day because sims are too predictable when it comes to romance interactions. Wish it was that easy in the real world... I might actually have someone in my life.

I too tried a polygamous household, and yeah even with that trait from Serial Romantic I also noticed that it just failed to work at times even though all sims in the household had it. It's as if the trait just randomly failed at times, though to be fair a lot of things just seem to randomly fail in this game. And asking for EA to have something make sense? I'm not sure that's possible lol.

Message 47 of 75 (1,196 Views)

There's actually an achievement called like "Player" or something to where your sim can have multiple partners without them getting jealous, and not just the serial romantic trait. So, I did everything to achieve that reward and everyone in the house was like yaay cool. But then after a while, her husband started to get really angry and jealous if she even kissed one of her lovers in front of him. It got to the point where I had to move them out separately together so he'd stop being so angry. But then when I moved them out, the house with the lovers went to crap. They did not know what to do and trash was all over the place. I'm like wow, ya'll have a trash can. It's off the grid, but dang, I didn't make any of them slobs. I really should watch that You Tuber you mentioned Call me Kevin? Because he had the same idea as me. I pretended that my Death House had like t.v. producers and everything, and the last one standing would receive 100 million dollars. So I had like sims who plotted with each other to sabotage the other contestants so they could split the 100 mill. It was cringey and funny because I would narrate some of the stuff and have my kids laughing. 

Hopefully I will be getting a PC soon for college, so I can see what all the rage is about modding. I would still love for EA to fix the AI, but I'm pretty sure I'll have fun making some neat and cracked up stuff.

Message 48 of 75 (1,169 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@3b92278050b2eabe6b24e7be12921809 Yeah that's what I was talking about since you get the Player trait from completing the Serial Romantic aspiration, so I really should have been more specific. What you talked about kind of makes me wonder if there's something about polygamous marriages that makes the Player trait glitch. I mean I don't remember having issues with it in the past, but yeah once I found exploits to marry more than one sim that's when it started to fail at times. I guess it just wasn't meant to handle sims with more than one marriage partner.

If you like watching others play games but are tired of the typical tryhards that just want to appear cool and act like they're so great, Call Me Kevin is definitely your channel. I originally started watching him years ago because of his Sims videos, but I'll even watch some for games I don't care about just because he can be so weird lol. Some of the stuff you've been talking about does sound like things he would do though.

If you get a PC and get into modding don't get too carried away with it because it's so easy to mess up the game if you aren't careful, which I've learned the hard way with these games. Then again it's already pretty messed up, so not sure if you can make it that much worse. I would say the odds of EA improving the AI are about as good as my chances of actually finding happiness... which seeing as how I've gone so long like this and the game has gone on so long as it is I would say the odds are pretty much zero. If anything things will just get worse lol.

Message 49 of 75 (1,158 Views)

Oh ok yea, completing the aspiration really does no good over time. And yea, I've been watching a lot of game play on You Tube lately, usually I watch old or obscure game walk-throughs, or I will watch people like Markiplier or someone genuinely funny. So yea, I'll check out Kevin's channel. I promise I'll be careful with the mods, I'll be using my computer for school and novel writing most of the time anyway. But get this, EA just updated Sims 4, so I let it update, then restart, and Bam! My island pack and vampire pack are gone. I guess they didn't like what I said about the sims being dumb. LOL they ought to know, it's their game. And as far as not having a partner, I hear ya man, but people are so crazy nowadays that you just never know. I mainly just keep to myself, unless I'm talking to someone about games. I don't even talk to people about anime or t.v. programs anymore because they get so offended if I don't like something. But you seem pretty dang cool so far, so I wouldn't mind having you as a chatting buddy.

Message 50 of 75 (1,146 Views)