Re: Why does the Sims 4 need to update so often?

by Knatterstick

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why does the Sims 4 need to update so often?

★ Novice

I have the Sims 4 on Origin. About every 2 weeks it needs a new update. They take about 25 minutes and its starting to take up too much space. Is there a way that I can avoid these updates and why does it need to update so often??

Message 1 of 8 (5,934 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Bizzy3lla  The game updates are necessary to fix bugs and other issues within the game itself, and to add the necessary data to support new packs.  A stuff pack will be released next week, so the update today was in preparation for that.  Since the game is being updated anyway, the developers often include new bse game content, for example the ladders that so many players requested and that were finally added last month.

While the downloading patches might look large, they don't end up taking much storage on your computer.  If you check the overall size of the Sims 4 program files, you'll notice that it's either the same or has increased by a very small amount.  A lot of the download is actually replacing data, rather than merely adding to it.

If you want to avoid a given update, you can put Origin in offline mode before you launch the game.  Be sure to disable auto updates in the Origin Application Settings as well.  But without patches, you won't be able to use any new content either.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 8 (5,898 Views)

All Replies

@Bizzy3lla  The game updates are necessary to fix bugs and other issues within the game itself, and to add the necessary data to support new packs.  A stuff pack will be released next week, so the update today was in preparation for that.  Since the game is being updated anyway, the developers often include new bse game content, for example the ladders that so many players requested and that were finally added last month.

While the downloading patches might look large, they don't end up taking much storage on your computer.  If you check the overall size of the Sims 4 program files, you'll notice that it's either the same or has increased by a very small amount.  A lot of the download is actually replacing data, rather than merely adding to it.

If you want to avoid a given update, you can put Origin in offline mode before you launch the game.  Be sure to disable auto updates in the Origin Application Settings as well.  But without patches, you won't be able to use any new content either.

Message 2 of 8 (5,899 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you! That makes sence.
Message 3 of 8 (5,860 Views)

★★★ Newbie

>>The game updates are necessary to fix bugs and other issues within the game itself //

Well .. I DONT ACCEPT THIS !

Allways and ever users get told that "updates are necessary to fix bugs and other issues within the game itself"

1) I play SIMS4 after some month again. I get updates.. well thats ok
2) The next Day i get updates again, hugh files to download... i still wonder.
3) After that i play for some hours without any problems, bugs etc. Fun Time

4) >> Now 2 days later.. i get again hugh updates.

Sims4 must be really bugy from day 1,  when they really need to update again, again, again , again and again.

It doesnt make any sence for me cause everything works perfect before. But after some updates User loose items , clothes etc.
If they would create car´s you cant drive a week without visiting the repair station.

SIMS4 should deliver stable updates, which can be installed if the User accept this.
If  SIMS4 works perfectly on my engine.. i dont see any reason

for such timewasting of downloading this updates. For what ?

Sims 4 need an update for their * update development. That would be really necessary !

Message 4 of 8 (5,174 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Knatterstick As far as I'm concerned, they can update as OFTEN as they want as long as BUGS ARE FIXED.

I would much rather they didn't put out buggy software in the first place, but bug fixes and patches are ALWAYS a good thing.

What's unacceptable to me is their constant need to put out new packs that continue to break things when they already have a whole host of packs that need fixing first.
Message 5 of 8 (5,154 Views)

@Knatterstick  Sims 4 updates are typically released once every four or five weeks.  It's only occasionally that a second update follows the first, and that's always a hotfix for some serious issue that appeared with the first update.  No game released these days is bug-free, and although we might very much want fewer bugs overall, there will always be enough to require patching.  That's even more true for games that are still releasing new content.

If you don't want to keep updating, you can run Origin in offline mode, as described earlier.

Message 6 of 8 (5,137 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Uh, no. I'm on PS4 and I can absolutely confirm this game updates LITERALLY every time I start it. I have the base game, haven't bought JACK as far as DLC for this EXACT reason, and yet I still have to update my game AT LEAST once a week. It's another stupid little "use up as much memory as we can" tactic, there's no reason I should be updating MINIMUM 1GB A WEEK for a game I have literally NO dlc for. It's a scam, like most newer gen games. Just disable your internet on your part because this game will continue to update for NO content as it has done for like 2 years now. It really brings the question to mind, when do we start saying NO??? When our systems are full of useless data being sold off to the highest bidder? No. Release the damn game and one bug fix update or dont release your * $75 dollar game until it's ready.

Message 7 of 8 (3,799 Views)

Community Manager
Closing this thread out here to limit necroposting.
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 8 of 8 (3,769 Views)