Re: Why does Platform Trim not work on Platforms?

by TylarTyger

Original Post

Why does Platform Trim not work on Platforms?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I've been looking around everywhere on how to fix this bug. I just started to use platforms in build mode, when I tried to change its color using the platform trims, it wouldn't change. I would get a red error box if I touched the side to change it saying, "No changes to be made". If I try to do the same thing but from the top view, I get another red error box saying, "Must be applied to a room". I tried using half wall trims as well, as wallpaper and flooring. Only the flooring will apply to the platforms. I don't have any cc downloaded, and the Sims 4 packs I have downloaded are; Cats & Dogs, Paranormal, Tiny Living, Laundry Day, Toddler, Fitness, Vintage Glamour, Romantic Garden, and Perfect Patio. We've downloaded most of this since January of this year. I have not previously tried using platforms in build mode, and was unaware of this issue until recently. Another bug with platforms is that I cannot attach stars to it to allow my sims to get in and out of the house. Is there any fix to this issue with Platforms?

Message 1 of 13 (12,988 Views)

Champion

@TylarTyger Hello!  It might be helpful if you could take some screenshots of your build so we have a better idea of what's happening. 

In the meantime, when you select the platform trim you want, hover over the floor of the platform and click there to add it; just as if you were placing carpet or tile.  As for the stairs, I've found they can be really tricky.  Make sure you have a full brick of space at the top and bottom of the stairs for sims to enter / exit.  Also, the stairs landing can't be off the lot.  Hope that helps but if it doesn't, let us know. 

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 2 of 13 (12,966 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@JonaO703 The stairs was very, very helpful! I'll try to upload some screenshots of what's happening
Message 3 of 13 (12,962 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Has there been a solution to this? I have the exact same problem :/

Message 4 of 13 (11,577 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi there 

I am also having the same issue. I have no mods or cc in my game. To show the issue I built a 3x3 room. I raised it using the foundation tool. Then when I go into platform trims to try and apply it, it doesn’t show up and I get the “nothing to change” error. The same thing happens if I just put a platform down, no trim appears and I get the error message. 

I also downloaded a house from the gallery that was raised and had platform trim around it. When I placed the lot, the trim disappeared and it was the blank grey. 

Message 5 of 13 (11,492 Views)

Champion

@toastymissy @Pepperkakor1234   Hello!  There is a difference between foundations and platform trims.  When you build a room and raise the foundation, you are able to add / change the foundation.  When you build a platform, you are also able to raise it like a regular room and give it a foundation.  However, if you want to add a viewable trim, you need to click the middle of the platform to select it and then use the up / down arrows to raise or lower the platform itself.  Once the platform is raised, then you can add a visible platform trim.  I created a short video to demonstrate this and shared it on YouTube here.

https://youtu.be/pJZmKXfzVMI

I hope this helps!

Happy Simming!

This is a short video showing how to create a room / platform and the difference between foundation and platform trim.
Message 6 of 13 (11,443 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm on PS4 and I have this problem. 

I downloaded a bar lot that had curved corners on the deck. I was just going to use the exterior trim to cover it up change the color and the platform trim glitches through. So I delete the corners and start from scratch corner curve platform, match flooring, then I try foundation trim, nope. exterior trim, glitches, delete, redo. Platform trim, successful bloop noise, no change though, click again "no changes needed" I try a different trim same result. Rinse repeat, no change. Now other, on there own platforms do the same. 

Message 7 of 13 (11,187 Views)

Champion

@puzzledsomething Hello!  I'm not sure what's going on here.  Would you mind sharing your lot to the gallery?  If you are okay with sharing it, maybe name it something like "Platform Problem" so it's easy to find.

Happy Simming!

Message 8 of 13 (11,142 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@JonaO703 i tried to do what you did in the video, but foundations only change the foundation under the room/platform and not the wall around the platform like in the video. after a couple tries, it says nothing to change, but it won't show the foundation i picked. is there something you do in the video that i'm missing?
Message 9 of 13 (7,763 Views)

Champion

@132701lock     @ Hi! Yes, so the foundation trim is a different option than the platform trim.  At around 1:13 minutes into the video, I selected foundations and then added the Better Than Bricks Foundation to the platform.  Around 1:27 minutes, I selected Platform Trim and then added the Better Than Bricks Platform [trim].

Foundations are located on the bottom left of the build interface.

FoundationVSPlatformTrim1.png

Platform trims are located in the Walls and Empty rooms section.

FoundationVSPlatformTrim2.png

FoundationVSPlatformTrim3.png

Once you select the platform trim you want, you add it by clicking on the platform top or "floor", not the side or "wall" of the platform.  Also, to see the "wall", you'll need to raise the platform by clicking on it and then using the up arrow.

FoundationVSPlatformTrim4.png

I hope this helps!

Happy Simming!

Message 10 of 13 (7,740 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help