Why are the Lily of the Valley Flowers Wrong?

by Sereverus

Original Post

Why are the Lily of the Valley Flowers Wrong?

★★★ Novice

Lily of the Vally, Convallaria Majalis, looks like this: Convallaria majalis 0002.JPG

So why do the ones in the game look like Edelweiss Flowers, Leontopodium nivale: Alpen Edelweiß, Leontopodium alpinum 2.JPG

and here is a Screenshot for a reference of what i mean:

Message 1 of 11 (770 Views)

Re: Why are the Lily of the Valley Flowers Wrong?

Champion

@Sereverus , I thought the flowers in the pic from the game you provided were daisies! Large smileOops😅

Is that a picture of ground cover. Wondering I know it isn't a harvestable flower. Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 11 (728 Views)

★★★ Novice

its one of the ground cover flowers yeah, i'm just puzzled as to how these wrong ones came to be

Message 3 of 11 (725 Views)

Champion

@Sereverus , the person who made them probably didn't name them, or else asked someone who claimed to know the name of the flower and were obviously wrong. The flowers in the ground cover are "tiny and white" and Lily of the Valley does consist of tiny white flowers. Wink  Still, the flowers are obviously nothing like Lily of the Valley! Large smile

I can see it being Edelweiss , now that you mention it!  I just automatically thought of daisies! 🌼

Message 4 of 11 (696 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@PugLove888 and @Sereverus Edelweiss only grows at higher altitudes, usually above the tree level so in that case daisies would be a better name for these patches of green. The flowers also resemble Wonder-flower or Ornithogalum. 

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 5 of 11 (693 Views)

Champion

@Trismagistos , yes the individual flowers of the Wonder Flower do look like the flowers in the ground cover swatch, however the pictures on Wikipedia show them growing all on the same stalk or raceme (kind of like a hyacinth), so I would be less inclined to think the ground cover were Wonder Flowers.

The ground cover also looks a bit like this flower: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zephyranthes_candida_Osaka.jpg
And it also looks a bit like Stephanotis (popular in wedding bouquets, as is Lily of the Valley) but of course the leaves don't seem to fit the ground cover swatch.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanotis_floribunda
And I'm sure there are other flowers it could be as well. Raised eyebrow

Therefore, I think I will continue to think of it as daisies! Large smile

Message 6 of 11 (688 Views)

Champion

@Sereverus @PugLove888 @Trismagistos Or maybe somewhat like 'Sweet Woodruff' (below) - but you're absolutely correct.... 'Lily of the Valley' looks much different.
Sweet-Woodruff.jpg

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 7 of 11 (656 Views)

Champion
@SheriGR @Sereverus @PugLove888 Those are nice too! And I agree they also show more resemblance with the depicted screenshot.
I also know Sweet Woodruff as 'Sweetscented bedstraw'. In my language the common name is something translated as 'Dear Lady Bedstraw' (Lieve Vrouwe Bedstro) and was also used in the Middle Ages upon till the 19th century to mix with the stuffing in matrasses to keep away the moths, mites, ticks and fleas. 😉

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 8 of 11 (643 Views)

Champion

@SheriGR , yes, the ground cover swatch does look a lot like the Sweet Woodruff!  (I've seen Woodruff used as a last name! )  Very nice!

@Trismagistos , I could tell by the similarity of "Bedstro" to the English "Bedstraw" that your language is related to English (and therefore German) , but I wasn't familiar with enough of the other 2 words to recognize it as Dutch! I don't speak a word of Dutch but I can often recognize it. Wink But I failed in this case! 😅

How wonderfully smart of people to use this as the stuffing for mattresses! 

Message 9 of 11 (612 Views)

Champion
@PugLove888 Nope you passed with flying colours! 🥇
I am Dutch and my mother language is also related to German, Flemish, Danish and English. Originally it is Old Saxon. Even in Switzerland they speak a sort of 'old Diets' which has a lot of similarities with Dutch and German.

Let op:

Message 10 of 11 (607 Views)