Re: Why are neglected kids still on the family tree unaged?

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Why are neglected kids still on the family tree unaged?

★★★ Apprentice

I'm sure this must have been addressed previously. It's gone on for a long time now and doesn't seem to be mentioned on the bugs list. I know this is well known about though. 

CHILDREN who are whisked away due to neglect for whatever reason - Simmers leaving their computer while they get a snack etc - but STILL appearing on the family tree. They do not age but instead stay there as a baby/toddler/child very much alive despite it being 5 generations later.

I know someone addressed it and someone told them to just leave the game and don't save but that is not always an option and not being funny but also shouldn't have to be an option just to avoid messing the family tree up. I like to play a "what will be will be" game with my sims and leave them to do what they want with my frequent encouragement towards degrees, skills etc. But neglected child? What will be will be. It happens. I brand that family as the family who lost their kid. But that doesn't work when the thumbnail DOESN'T AGE. It's so small but I get aging them may not work but even if they just get removed from the family tree then so be it but no they just stay there. I'm sure this didn't happen with previous games, I can't remember exactly but I'm sure in either 2 or 3 they became available to adopt by another family or something. I just think after so long of Sims 4 and being in 2021 that something about this thumbnail sitch could be resolved without mods or having to quit the game without saving it. 

Anyone else agree? I know there's mods but I like my games mod-less and I can handle it until daft stuff like this happens and I'm like damn I'm gonna have to download MCCC again to delete the kid. 

It gets annoying please help. 

Message 1 of 17 (3,421 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@bellalala93 

That a child is taken from a family does not mean that it is not still in the family tree and since you have no newer photos you will have to make do with the latest you have. The same goes for a genealogy page in real life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 17 (3,401 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@jpkarlsen It's not that - the child does not age the family tree is obviously not based on photographs but the sims thumbnail it matters to those of us who play based on them
Message 3 of 17 (3,397 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@bellalala93 

In a real genealogy page there would be more info like a birthdate but since that is not possible in the game there is only the image and since that can no longer be updated you have no track of when you taken away sim ages. That can unfortunately not be helped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 17 (3,394 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Okay look I'm not going to reply to you anymore because A. You're not getting it clearly and B. No offence but your answers are dumb. You can't tell someone how they want to play and see things. This is an error not something made on their part for what you are describing. You won't convince me. Bella out. 

Message 5 of 17 (3,365 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@bellalala93

@jpkarlsenmakes sense to me. They're completely correct. It could be done better however. If the child is taken away, it would be better if it was placed with another household in the world somewhere, then the image could be updated. But since the child is taken away and sent into limbo, there is nothing to update the image with

It would be nice to have the child taken away and adopted by some random family that you could run into at some later date.

And having birthdates on there would be nice too.

Message 6 of 17 (3,347 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I agree with that, I'm sure something like it happened in sims 2 or 3 (Can't remember which?). I like to play legacies and play you know like Sims 2 used to be mapped out with all of the pre made family trees and stories and lore. I love it! And when there's still a baby on the 2nd gen 6 generations in after they've all died it kinda ruins it for me. Even if there was like a pop up when you hover over the thumbnail saying "neglected" or something you know that stated the baby was taken from the family or something then that could explain why the baby is still viewed as a baby and be like Ooooooh interesting... and you could make your sims "look" at the family tree and try to find their family member or something idk haha. Just makes for more interesting story lines then other than the baby just vanishes from the world leaving just a footprint behind. 

Message 7 of 17 (3,340 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@bellalala93 Yea, I see what you're getting at. Several generations later, seeing all of them but ONE all dead would drive the OCD in me bonkers.

Well, unless they adjust it, the only thing I can say is that this gives you incentive to NOT neglect the children... Negative re-inforcement. Don't neglect children or they will forever be stuck on the family tree, forever unaging... nagging you until the end of time... Wink
Message 8 of 17 (3,338 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Same! I have OCD too and I swear it niggles me no end. I just want to grab the thumbnail with my fingers and get rid of it! 

I know I am obsessive with it cos of it, but I wanted to make that one family that is so * at taking care of kids that one gets neglected but doesn't stay a baby with no explanation why theres a random unaged baby on the tree who isn't deceased or noted as neglected haha! I think that's the thing most people are alright with it but OCD makes that one little thing an issue haha!

Message 9 of 17 (3,330 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@bellalala93 I don't pay much attention to the family tree any more. I stopped doing generational plays back in Sims 3. After years and years of Sims 1, 2, and 3 generational plays, It's not much fun any more. Now I just putter around in 4 doing odd things.

Luckily my OCD is only a little nag in the back of my mind. I can ignore it most of the time. It mainly controls my subconscious actions. Like if I go to a Subway, Unless someone points it out, I don't even notice myself straightening the bags of chips on the order line...
Message 10 of 17 (3,324 Views)