Re: Which video card will run Sims 4

by Kariva

Original Post

Which video card will run Sims 4

★★★★★ Novice

hey all. when it comes to video cards and what will run TS4 while also running on my computer, i'm lost. I have an i7 XPS Dell desktop and it came with the Intel UHD Graphics card which TS4 doesn't recognize so gameplay isn't that great. I'm on the Dell site, and it these are the cards that i could have upgraded to but didn't know i should have.  Which of these, if any, would work? i'm not trying to break the bank here, some of these are really expensive. Just want to be able to run my game regular and also the sound won't play guessing that is probably same issue?

NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030 2GB GDDR5

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1650 4GV GDDR5

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1060 3GB GDDR5

NVIDIA DEFORCE 1660 SUPER 6GB

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660TI

any help would be great! just want to get back to playing!

Message 1 of 9 (1,720 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @Kariva

The minimum video card requirements to run The Sims 4 are as follows: 

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, ATI Radeon X1300 or better, Intel GMA X4500 or better

The card would need at least 128 MB of VRAM and support for Pixel Shader 3.0. Any of those cards you listed should meet these requirements. You can find more details about the minimum and recommended system requirements for The Sims 4 over at the EA Help website

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 9 (1,691 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kariva  Don't get the 1030; it wouldn't run the game on ultra graphics settings, at least not very well if you have most or all expansions installed.  The others would run all current content on ultra.  The 1650 may be cutting it a bit close by the time the game is out of development (we don't know how demanding future packs will be), but the desktop version of the card will likely still be able to handle ultra settings.

What power supply do you have in your computer: manufacturer, wattage, and rating?  If you're not sure, and the manual doesn't specify, you can just physically look at the PSU; it's where you plug in the power cord.  A lower-end power supply might not be able to support some of those cards listed.  On the other hand, if it's strong enough, you might be able to save a bit of money by getting an older AMD card instead, although those do draw more power than the equivalent Nvidia cards.

If you'd like suggestions for a specific version of any of these cards, let me know what country you're in, and I'll have a look around.

P.S.  It's not the fact that your integrated graphics chips isn't recognized that makes the game run poorly, it's that the card is quite slow for Sims 4.  Getting it recognized would be quite simple and maybe only take a couple minutes, but it would only help marginally, if at all.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 9 (1,678 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you! My cousin actually gave me a 770? I think it’s called. Seems to be working much better. I’m not super crazy when it comes to graphics, it was just running so poorly and the sound wouldn’t work. So far so good with what he gave me hope it stays that’s way!!
Message 4 of 9 (1,664 Views)

@Kariva  An Nvidia 770 would definitely do fine, although I'd still check your power supply to make sure it supports the card.  A 770 can draw up to 230W of power at full workload, and the recommendation is 600W, although you can get away with less.  If you do start to have trouble with it, please post back listing the specs of your PSU.

Message 5 of 9 (1,639 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Will do an thank you! This may be a dumb question but how would I know if the power supply is in trouble?
Message 6 of 9 (1,626 Views)

@Kariva  The symptoms would be difficult to miss: graphics glitches you can see on your screen, game crashes for no apparent reason, even shutdowns or restarts of the system.  If you don't see anything like that, I wouldn't worry too much.  Still, it would be a good idea to have someone who knows what to look for run a couple of monitoring apps at some point, just to make sure the computer is running as expected.  It's not urgent though.

Message 7 of 9 (1,616 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you!!
Message 8 of 9 (1,609 Views)

★ Guide

Mine is an Ati HD 5450 and runs the game just fine with sims detail on VERY HIGH, lighting on MEDIUM, object detail on MEDIUM, 3D scene on HIGH, post process off and all the rest on medium/low

Message 9 of 9 (1,461 Views)