Re: Which laptop will be able to run the Sims 4 with all packs + CC?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Which laptop will be able to run the Sims 4 with all packs + CC?

★★★★ Novice

I'm thinking about getting a laptop for the Sims and I keep seeing Acer Nitro 5 as a recommendation. Which Acer Nitro 5 do you think will run the game the best with all of the sims packs and +12gb of CC? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/nitro5

Message 1 of 10 (3,377 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@EricaJMH  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 general discussion section.

Building a computer yourself is cheaper some of the time, but not always, and usually not in your preferred price range.  For example, I priced the components in this model:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5...

Without a case, which is a pain to pick out, the total is $670, and that's with the most bargain-basement components.  You might do a bit better if you watch carefully for sales, but it's unlikely—the only details that would probably change are which components are cheapest.  For $670 plus maybe $40 for a case, you'd only be saving about $40 by building the system yourself.  And that doesn't include a keyboard and mouse if you don't have the ones you want already.

More importantly, if you happened to mess up the build somehow, you wouldn't have a store to fall back on for warranty-covered repairs.  I'm not saying it would happen, but it's something to consider.

And just to clarify, while

i5-9400F < Ryzen 5 3600 < i5-9600KF (for gaming)

Nvidia 1650 Super < AMD RX 580 < 1660 Super

all of those components would be more than good enough to run Sims 4, all packs included, on ultra settings, now and in all likelihood for the entire duration of the game.  If you like to use high poly (high resolution) custom content, the 1650 Super is more than fine for now but might not be in a couple years.

As far as monitors go, you can hook up any reasonably modern monitor to any new-ish graphics card.  There's no such thing as an AMD or Nvidia monitor.  What I think the reference was to is the concept of Freesync (AMD) and G-sync (Nvidia), monitor technologies that help prevent graphics glitches and screen tearing.  (The monitor waits to receive the full frame from the graphics card before displaying it.)

However, a) you can accomplish basically the same thing with software installed on your computer, b) such monitors are more expensive, and c) many Freesync monitors work with both AMD and Nvidia, negating the higher price for monitors that use Nvidia's G-sync.  Most importantly though, having a Freesync or G-sync monitor likely won't make any difference at all to how you experience playing Sims 4.  If you were planning on playing first person shooters or other extremely demanding games where framerates matter, it would be a different story.  But for Sims 4 alone, these monitors would be a waste of money.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (3,189 Views)

All Replies

@EricaJMH from the ones listed on that page, you might want this one

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 10 (3,349 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks! Do you think that Acer Nitro is more powerful than the these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-9400f-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5...

If you had to pick between the three, which one would you choose? 

Message 3 of 10 (3,298 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It depends which model of the Acer Nitro you get. The Cyber Power desktop you linked would be faster than the iBuyPower desktop. Could you list your budget for a computer and what type of computer you're looking for?

Message 4 of 10 (3,272 Views)

@EricaJMH short answer is no. A well built gaming desktop always surpassed a gaming laptop. A really decent gaming desktop starts at around 1300 USD and a really great one can go easily past 2500$. The best laptops can go up to 5000$, but those are for enthusiasts, not for the average users (like you and me).

If you want a portable PC, of course, the Nitro is the obvious choice.

If money represents a problem and you do not want a portable PC, the AMD is quite good. It also wins when it comes to storage space, as it offers a 2TB HDD and a 240GB SSD. So two hard disks: you can use the SSD for the operating system and the HDD for storage or installing games there. As a gaming desktop can be easily upgraded, you can add more RAM (the build has only 8GB RAM, which is enough for Sims 4, but for more demanding game is not)

The i5 build...Just no. While i am an Intel fan, i can't recommend it in good faith.

Here is a decent build, slightly better than the AMD build.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-9600kf-8gb-nvidi...

The pros: better video card, the CPU is better than both the i5 9400F and AMD 5 Ryzen 3600. Cons: the HDD is only 1TB, so lower storage space. But overall is a much better build and in your price range (under 1000$).

When it comes to gaming desktop, keep in mind that you need a display, too. Again, the displays for the AMD builds are cheaper (doesn't mean they are worse, but AMD and AMD related stuff was always cheaper than Intel/Nvidia). A good display for an Intel/Nvidia build is usually more expensive. Choosing the right display requires a bit of research or someone that can help with that.

So that bumps your spending a bit.

If you need more assistance, feel free to tag me.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 10 (3,269 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@mmboba I'm looking for either a gaming laptop or desktop for under $900
Message 6 of 10 (3,251 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@ivrognard Thanks for the help! I know that building them myself could be cheaper, but I still get lost sometimes when I'm trying to pick out the parts. Do you think you could help me out with that instead?
Message 7 of 10 (3,242 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EricaJMH  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 general discussion section.

Building a computer yourself is cheaper some of the time, but not always, and usually not in your preferred price range.  For example, I priced the components in this model:

Without a case, which is a pain to pick out, the total is $670, and that's with the most bargain-basement components.  You might do a bit better if you watch carefully for sales, but it's unlikely—the only details that would probably change are which components are cheapest.  For $670 plus maybe $40 for a case, you'd only be saving about $40 by building the system yourself.  And that doesn't include a keyboard and mouse if you don't have the ones you want already.

More importantly, if you happened to mess up the build somehow, you wouldn't have a store to fall back on for warranty-covered repairs.  I'm not saying it would happen, but it's something to consider.

And just to clarify, while

i5-9400F < Ryzen 5 3600 < i5-9600KF (for gaming)

Nvidia 1650 Super < AMD RX 580 < 1660 Super

all of those components would be more than good enough to run Sims 4, all packs included, on ultra settings, now and in all likelihood for the entire duration of the game.  If you like to use high poly (high resolution) custom content, the 1650 Super is more than fine for now but might not be in a couple years.

As far as monitors go, you can hook up any reasonably modern monitor to any new-ish graphics card.  There's no such thing as an AMD or Nvidia monitor.  What I think the reference was to is the concept of Freesync (AMD) and G-sync (Nvidia), monitor technologies that help prevent graphics glitches and screen tearing.  (The monitor waits to receive the full frame from the graphics card before displaying it.)

However, a) you can accomplish basically the same thing with software installed on your computer, b) such monitors are more expensive, and c) many Freesync monitors work with both AMD and Nvidia, negating the higher price for monitors that use Nvidia's G-sync.  Most importantly though, having a Freesync or G-sync monitor likely won't make any difference at all to how you experience playing Sims 4.  If you were planning on playing first person shooters or other extremely demanding games where framerates matter, it would be a different story.  But for Sims 4 alone, these monitors would be a waste of money.

Message 8 of 10 (3,190 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks for all of the help! I'm probably just going to choose between the 2 CyberPower computers. Could I use this type of monitor for either of these? (https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-24-1920x1080-HDMI-DP-144hz-1ms-TN-FHD-Gaming-Monitor-24GN50W-B/7731727...)
Message 9 of 10 (3,158 Views)

@EricaJMH  That would work, for sure.  But depending on your priorities, that might not be the best monitor.  Do you specifically want a 144 Hz refresh rate?  It's nice to have for some purposes, for sure.  But the tradeoff, at least in this price range, is how the game looks.  TN panels are the lowest image quality, with IPS being the best and VA very good as well.

If you don't need the higher refresh rate, something like this would work well:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-va24ehe-23-8-full-hd/p/1FR-000R-00024?Item=1FR-000R-00024

There are plenty of similar options in that price range.  For a 120/144 Hz refresh rate though, you won't get a better screen unless you pay significantly more, so the LG would be a good choice.

Message 10 of 10 (3,124 Views)