Re: Which expansion pack is the most worth getting

by Phantomlover1717

Original Post

Which expansion pack is the most worth getting

★★★★ Apprentice

Hi all,

I am looking to buy one or two expansion packs during the next sale. I can't decide whether I should get the seasons, city living or get to work expansion pack. I would really love your opinions on which one(s) I should get.

Also does anyone know how low the prices normally are during sales?

I am sort of leaning towards city living because it adds features like rent and landlords I also don't really know what seasons includes but it sounded fun.

Seeing as there will be a sims 5 coming out soon I don't want to buy anything that I wont still want to play because I hate the idea of playing a game just a bit then playing the next version.

Message 1 of 53 (2,673 Views)

★★★ Expert

@elulu8 I haven't heard any official news on Sims 5 but I think we'll still have a couple more years at least to go with Sims 4. I'm just guessing on that of course. The sale prices are hard to predict. The most recent sales had Expansion packs at 50% off and Game packs at 25% off. Those have expired but sales like this have been quite frequent lately & I would not be surprised to see another one start soon. The current sale has the Dine Out and Parenthood packs at 50% off.

As for which packs to get, that all depends on how you want to play your game. My first two packs were City Living and Get Together because I wanted more worlds and many lots to build on. I also wanted variety, city life vs country living, urban vs rural, etc., but that's just me. You should research each pack and watch the trailers on Origin to see which ones appeal to you the most. Personally, I love City Living and the Spice Market in San Myshuno is still my favorite neighborhood to live in with all the food vendors, buskers, luchadors and raccoon weirdos (EA's name for them, not mine), protesters, people shooting hoops at the basketball court, there is always something going on there! Some players don't like the noisy neighbors from living in an apartment and that's fine too. For me it just adds to the challenge, like having to get up at 7 am to get ready for work and your neighbor across the hall decides to party till 1 am! xD

Seasons is an awesome pack and it's still my favorite. It does not come with a world (which is why I added it later) but it pretty much multiplies all of the worlds you do have. For example, Willow Creek in the summer feels completely different than Willow Creek in the middle of winter. The seasons change gradually so early spring feels different than late spring. Heck even the days feel different from one to the next-- one day might be sunny and warm and the next cloudy and rainy. I love listening to the rain and wind and blizzards in the winter. Many of the worlds are totally gorgeous in the fall and winter. You also get holidays with Seasons-- four main holidays and lots of random funny holidays like "Talk Like A Pirate Day". You can customize any of the holidays, so if you'd rather have a Sims version of Christmas in your game instead of Winterfest then you can do it. If you prefer to create a Sims version of Kwanzaa or Hanukkah you can do that as well. In my game I created a Sims version of 4th of July called "Simsdependence Day" with fireworks and bbq's. Seasons adds things like ice skating, snowball fights, and building a snowman in the winter or roller skating and water balloon fights in the summer. In my opinion, EA really did an awesome job with this pack.

There are many other great choices and really it's all up to personal preference. I don't think there are any wrong choices here.

I'm just a regular Sims player, I do not work for EA, Sony, or Microsoft.

Message 2 of 53 (2,633 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@RandomBuzziness thanks for the advice Wink
I currently have the cats and dog expansion pack and I really enjoy the vet clinic feature, do you know if you can have a vet clinic in San Myshuno? Also are pets allowed in apartments?
Message 3 of 53 (2,610 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@elulu8 Yes, you can have pets in an apartment no problem. I'm partial to cats so many of my apartment Sims own cats. Cats seem easier to me because they can use a litter box. Dogs are a bit trickier because they need to go outside to go potty (or they'll use a balcony, yuck). You might have to take them on walks for this but it can be done. Also, I'm not sure if neighbors will complain about a dog barking. I'll have to test this sometime. I've never had a neighbor complain about a cat.

So for Vet Clinics, almost all of the residential lots in San Myshuno are apartments and they will not work for this. There is one regular residential lot, the Old Salt House, that should work fine, though it's a bit on the pricey side.

The Old Salt HouseThe Old Salt House

Message 4 of 53 (2,574 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Hi @elulu8 - good questions. 🙃

To answer your most recent questions, there are a few lots in San Myuchino that are not designated as apartments and you could replace the default lot with a vet clinic if you want to. And in one of my households, I have a sim with two big dogs and who is a vet with her own clinic in Brindleton, so I can vouch that it’s also really easy to live in San Myuchino and travel to a vet clinic in a different neighborhood as well. And yes pets are definitely allowed in apartments!  

Right now there seems to be a bug (in my game at least) that is preventing dogs from being able to autonomously use elevators to relieve themselves outdoors, but that hasn’t always been the case, so presumably it’s temporary - and I’m not even sure if everyone is experiencing that same bug. (I just use the whistle icon to call them to me while I’m outside the apartment and then ask them to do their business, so the workaround is pretty easy cheesy if you do find that you have it. The dogs will go back inside on their own when they’re done so you don’t have to go through the hassle of putting them on a leash.)

Regarding Sims 5, I’ve heard unofficial rumors that the base game might be released later this year to coincide with the Sims 20th anniversary but it seems pretty late in the year for that to still be unofficial. In any case I think your should be able to get a lot out of Sims 4 even once the Sims 5 base game does come out. Ive actually been playing since the original Sims was released my freshman year of college, and one thing I remember about the transition from one Sims version to the next is that the base game always seems to lack a lot of the functionality I’m accustomed to enjoying when it’s first released but before there’s much additional content available, so I would alternate between the previous version and the newest for a while. 

All three of the expansion packs you’re considering are excellent choices. City living expands gameplay thru the rent feature and includes more active shared community spaces in addition to the various festivals throughout the week that are a lot of fun and can be enjoyed by households that live in every neighborhood. I really enjoy the periodic ‘seasonal’ variation to gameplay that Seasons adds, in addition to the ability to enjoy all of the different holidays (plus it includes a calendar function so you can customize and modify the holidays exist in your game). And get to work has the three active careers, all of which are fun, and allow you to follow and actively play your Sim at their workspace. I think the scientist career in particular has a lot to offer (bonus: it made me laugh a lot, the first time through). Those are just highlights from my perspective, to add to the awesomely detailed feedback you already got from @RandomBuzziness. Honestly, I think you should get all three! 

😁

Note on edit: revised a couple of the more egregious voice to text translation errors I missed initially. 🙄

Message 5 of 53 (2,559 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@elulu8, in addition to @RandomBuzziness 's wonderful advice I want to add that while you can change the Old Salt House to a vet clinic, you don't have to do so as you can still access the one that comes with Brindleton Bay or any other neighborhood in the game like Willow Creek, Oasis Springs , or New Crest  if you have built any vet clinics in other neighborhoods. 

I have really enjoyed all of the packs you are considering getting.  My favorite is Cats & Dogs, but the pack I recommend the most to people is Seasons (it is a close second favorite of mine anyway! Heart)  Like @RandomBuzziness  said, Seasons just incorporates into all your existing Sims' lives so well!  Different worlds/neighborhoods will get different weather patterns (Oasis Springs will get super hot in the Summer, while Brindleton Bay will get more rain/snow depending on the season).  

And not only can you tailor make your own holidays, you can edit existing holidays.  For example, if I play a single Sim who I don't want to get into a romantic relationship (usually because I'm testing something in the game and don't want to get sidetracked), I will edit Love Day to consist of only decorating the house and watching Romance TV!  That way I can rack up the Aspiration points without having to change the my gameplaying style for that household!   You can also delete holidays that you don't want, which is what I do whenever the minor holiday called Neighborhood Brawl comes around! 

Do keep in mind that certain plants will only produce harvestables in their appropriate seasons, unless you plant them indoors or in a greenhouse.  

And if your Sims have children, there are more activities for them to do if you have Seasons, like water balloon fights, snowball fights, building snowpals, the swingset, and seasonal crafts on the drawing table! Party hat

However, both City Living and Get to Work are a lot of fun. I love the Scientist career in Get to Work (there are some powerful items you can create like the Sim Ray , the Satellite dish that can cause or prevent Alien abductions, and the portal to the world of Sixam (the home of those Aliens), and the cloning machine!  You can also run your own retail store, be a police officer, or be a doctor!  City Living is one of my favorites because of all the different cultures that that pack has, with all the clothing, decorations, and food!  My favorite thing to do is similar to @RandomBuzziness , as I love the Spice Market as well, and that area of San Myshuno holds the Spice Festival, which I have most of my Sims attend so they can learn the new recipes!  Party hat   My Sims end up fat from this over time, so I either have to make them exercise a lot, or else use the ice cream machine form the Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack so I can make the ice cream flavor that makes them loose weight! Large smile  But if you love mingling with other Sims or bright colors, then you will probably love this pack.Wink

But if I could only get one pack, it would be Seasons!  I can't think of a time that I heard anyone regret getting that pack, and most people have it as their favorite or close to their favorite! Heart

Update! :  I was composing my reply when @suzushka posted!  @suzushka brings up excellent points as well! Standard smile  
One thing I forgot was to add that about a year and a half ago a Sim Guru said that TS4 would have at least 3 more years to go!  I would think the earliest date would be 2022, but then again things have changed in the world and some businesses have slowed their release dates on many products, so that should be taken into account as well.  But even without that, It still will be several years off . Wink 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 53 (2,545 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

When it comes to packs I think it is a very personal thing for each sim fan. Not only can it depend on how you prefer to play the game or want out of your gaming experience, it can also depend how obsessive of a sim fan you are. Some fans buy every single Sims base game series and their included packs just to collect them, rather they plan to get experience out of all of them or not. Some buy all packs so they can get all the best little features, as every pack has something different to add to said Sim game.

I currently own and have every expansion packs for The Sims 4 except for Get Together. There is no reason why I have yet to purchase Get Together yet aside from I was very late to transfer to The SIms 4 as I was still obsessed with The Sims 3, and The Sims 4 had a lot of mixed reviews. Sometimes I just simply don't have the money to spend and when I do I often forget I don't have Get Together yet. Lol. Then a few months ago my laptop started to take a dump slowly, so that also halted game purchases. I however recently bought a new laptop and plan on getting Get Together very soon. Seasons is probably my favorite expansion pack so far because the realism it adds to the game when it comes to experiencing the seasons, different weather, the fun and different events that come along with the seasons and I found the calendar feature was a huge bonus. I really love adding my own holidays or special events to the calender to make the game more realistic and I love being organized. Standard smile Discover University is probably my second favorite expansion pack because the realism of attending University (University was probably my favorite expansion for The Sims 3) the freedom to be a good standing student or skipping classes and facing the consequences, the extra curricular activities such as sports and more. Discover University however is relatively still new to The Sims 4, so before it came out City Living and/Cats and Dogs were a tie for second. City Living because of the new world, I liked the idea of apartment living, and the new sims you could meet etc, Cats and Dogs simply because I am a huge animal lover...in fact I prefer animals to humans. xD However, these are my personal favorites and what expansion, game or stuff packs may be worth your time could be entirely different in how you play the game and what you want out of your game experience.

Parenthood and outdoor retreat are my favorite game packs. Parenthood though it lacked the excitement of Generations for The Sims 3 and was a little disappointing to how much it added to The Sims 4, I still loved what it did add for parenting and families as I felt The Sims 4 needed more realism in that aspect and I normally play Sim families with kids opposed to other game play. Outdoor Retreat simply because I personally grew up loving nature and outdoor activities such as camping etc.

I haven't purchased every stuff pack yet, but out of the ones I own Laundry Day, Toddler and Kids Room stuff are my favorites. Laundry Day simply because as annoying as it can get to do laundry...I really thought it was a needed feature for realism and I loved most of the content/DLC from that pack. Toddler and Kids Room stuff because I wanted more stuff and content for my toddlers and children. I felt the two stuff packs did a decent job in delivering.

I am one of those simmers who do like owning every single pack or piece of DLC for all the sims series, for the full game experience and just for the lone fact I love collecting things. It is kind of an OCD thing with me. lol. I own everything there is to own for The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. (I stupidly got rid of The Sims 1 along time ago and regret it since. Looking into repurchasing it just to have it.) My favorite and most beloved series of The Sims collection is still The Sims 3. There are many aspects I miss from both Sims 2 and 3 that lack in The Sims 4. I still play those games because though they are older and may lack in things like graphics and there are a couple features I feel The Sims 4 did really well with, they remind me of my childhood and the features that do lack in The SIms 4 are actually a game killer for me sometimes. I want to still purchase every content or DLC and future DLC for The Sims 4. Even if The Sims 5 comes out tomorrow and is a huge improvement from The Sims 4...like so much I ditch Sims 4 for Sims 5 I will still purchase every DLC available for The Sims 4 just to have it.

I have not heard anything when it comes to The Sims 5, but I am hoping we will hear something in the very near future and patiently waiting. You can also check for updates on The Sims on their twitter page. Standard smile

https://twitter.com/TheSims

https://twitter.com/EA

Message 7 of 53 (2,493 Views)

Seasons would be my favorite of the ones you mention because it brings something to the entire game that makes it so much more like real life. 
However, having them can be a pain at times haha.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 8 of 53 (2,475 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I really like the sound of city living and I love that it adds a new world. I also don't think that I will get sims 5 right when it comes out and will wait for a sale or even the anniversary. Ive heard that its coming out in 2021

Message 9 of 53 (2,461 Views)

Champion

@elulu8, if you think you will prefer City Living then get City Living!  I really love this pack and use the clothing, hair, and Build/Buy mode items from it all the time, and still regularly attended the festivals!  

A wonderful festival for your starter Sims (especially if you don't like playing with money cheats) is the Humor and Hijinks festival!  That festival has you choose if you want to be on the Humor (comedy) or Hijinks (mischief) side and then you drink the corresponding drink for which side you choose.  Once you do that , preform either humorous or mischievous actions and if the side you joined wins the contest with the most interactions in their respective categories, then you get a bunch of expensive items as a reward.  Both sides will gift you a bunch of fireworks if you win (which if you are poor, you can sell off for a nice amount of Simoleons) and the Humor group's winning gift is a stand-up comedy microphone (I think worth 500 Simoleons) and the Hijinks group's winning gift is a voodoo doll which I think is worth 900 Simoleons!  It is a nice way to have families starting off with low funds , quickly get a little cushion to their bank accounts without you having to resort to money cheats! Angel

As for the rumor that TS5 is coming out in 2021, I wouldn't hold my breath! Raised eyebrow There is nothing official that there will even be a TS5 (although I think there will be and I think they probably have started working on it). Like I said earlier, about a year and a half ago, a Sim Guru stated that there will be at least 3 more years of content coming to TS4.  That would mean that we have at least 1 and a half years left of TS4, and then add the fact that each time EA has released the last pack of a Sims version, it is about 6 months between that and the new version. Raised eyebrow So that would put us at June of 2022 at the earliest !Standard smile  Then add to the fact that TS4 might go on a bit longer than even that , plus the fact that certain things going on in the world right now have slowed down some companies rates of production.  But even without that it still shouldn't be any earlier than June of 2022.  I don't work for EA, but combining patterns from past release intervals, with logic, and with what the Sim Gurus have actually said, this is the earliest I can see TS5 being released. Wink  I would rather wait for a better game anyway than rush one that doesn't work.  And while it is possible that TS5 could be relased by 2021, it wouldn't be until very late 2021, and that is still very unlikely. Wink

The good news for you is that you will have longer than you expected to enjoy TS4!  As for City Living, I always love when my Sims learn to appreciate spicy foods (because I love spicy foods) and learn to master chopsticks (because I am lousy at chopsticks unless it is to handle large pieces of vegetables or meat. Large smile  I just can't seem to get the hang of eating chopsticks with rice EmbarrassedOops … but then again I usually prefer to eat my rice with a spoon so I can get every last grain! ). 

Hopefully later you can get Seasons and Get to Work! And I agree with @xJaimerTheGamerx that the Parenthood Game Pack is excellent for  people who love to play with families in the game! Party hat  It makes your Sim families feel more like an actual family and not just a collection of different aged Sims living together! Heart

Please update us on which you end up getting, as well as your thoughts on it! Angel

Here are a few parting pictures from City Living:

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 10 of 53 (2,388 Views)