Re: Wants and Fears only for new packs?

by PatrickClSim3Low

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

At the moment, my ambitious overachiever keeps wanting (both in mid term and long term) to complete work tasks even though there are no work tasks. And, as for the listen to a certain music want (which is my next most frequent), I usually can’t even get it to fulfil when listening to music.

Message 11 of 19 (791 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I honestly think they need to add additional slots for what are now wants and fears. In Sims 2 we had 4 wants and 3 fears which got re rolled after one was fulfilled or after other daily activities. The main problem I see with them trying to bring back this system is that whims were a downsizing of that system that also corresponded to the games moodlets mechanic. Now I never see mood based wants (former whims) and only two slots are active even when entering a moodlet. In all honesty I don't think the new want and fears are finished outside of the new DLC packs. That is a pretty crappy thing to do to all the people that were enjoying the game just fine prior to the update. Now those of use who are still new to the game feel like we are being strong armed in to buying DLC to return functionality broken by an update.

Message 12 of 19 (764 Views)

My opinion is little bit harsh; it just feels like The Sims Team wanted to use the popularity of The Sims 2 Wants and fears. And just like with anything else, the feature was done to silent people and make us happy for a little bit.

People have been asking for a proper whims overhaul; an overhaul that would give us more meaningful personalized whims. This wasn't achieved with wants. They are more restricted, we have less of them. And they are still useless for you if your gameplay isn't driven by wants system. I will say that we need more wants, wants specific for packs and more personalized wants that will make sims unique. Wants based on traits, based on aspirations, on skills, on relationships. As for making wants  meaningful; we need aspiration meter like its in TS2. That was an important part of the system. If we aren't getting meter, than we just need better rewards in reward store. Bring back rewards from TS2 and TS3. 

And fears? They are definitely unique. But I truly miss mundane fears from TS2 that would make this system in TS4 better. I'm not againts long term fears like fear of swimming or fear of fire, but make short term fears that will correspond to current situation of Sims; fear of having baby, fear of marrying, fear of relative dying, etc... And make fear meaningful as well, which would require the aspiration meter again. If its not added, then fears should have bigger consequences than one buff. 

Message 13 of 19 (752 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've always played with whims turned on. And because i play on PC i also had a mod that added extra ones into the game. It was fun and i've enjoyed playing the game like that.

But now. All my erratic sims wants to do is talk to themselves, flirt with themselves and listen to their fav music genre. Like??? She was on a date and since there are no longer any emotional whims i was lost. I had no idea what my sims wanted to do. And i just got bored. I mean sure coming up with your own story is fun and all but i like to have some kind of assistance from the game itself. How is that an update when you take away content that was already there?

It makes me so sad to see the state of the game right now. It's like with every update the game gets worse and worse.

I wish they had made it optional to use either Fears and Wants OR Whims.

Because they just took away a huge junk of gameplay and patted themselves on the back "well done"

Message 14 of 19 (636 Views)

Champion

@PatrickClSim3Low , as a huge fan of The Sims 2, I totally agree with you!  Not only were the wants and fears relevant to each individual Sim (or at least relevant to their Aspiration) in the Sims 2, but there was a good balance between short term and long term Wants and Fears!  And the Aspiration Meter was a large part of driving this system, like you explained! It was so well done and so much fun in The Sims 2! 🥰Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 15 of 19 (513 Views)

This ruined my entire playstyle, I have only played for about 15 minutes since the update, can not see myself going back into the gameplay side at all unless older packs are integrated into this.

Message 16 of 19 (495 Views)

★★★ Novice

I couldn't have said it better myself. This stupid update has made the game for me really boring because I'm a whims-gameplay type of player and I'm sure a large chunk of players are like that too. They should have separated the feature: Whims OR Wants & Fears. So those Sims 2 players who so dearly missed that type of gameplay could play it while those who prefer the Whims gameplay (like me),  wouldn't be obstructed. EA THIS NEW UPDATE SUCKS! BRING WHIMS BACK!

Message 17 of 19 (480 Views)

Champion

@QueenRia , you have said, "They should have separated the feature: Whims OR Wants & Fears. So those Sims 2 players who so dearly missed that type of gameplay could play it while those who prefer the Whims gameplay (like me),  wouldn't be obstructed. " 
However, that wouldn't satisfy Sims 2 players either, since this new Wants & Fears system is nothing like the far superior Wants & Fears system in The Sims 2! 😭 I'm sure there are people out there who like the new Wants & Fears system in Sims 4, but I would wager that most of them aren't Sims 2 players!  I was excited for Wants and Fears at first thinking it would work more like TS2, but now I would rather have the Whims.  Perhaps I will grow to like the Wants and Fears eventually, but it does seem more difficult to understand and messes up how I play TS4.  

However, I do wish they had made the choice to pick which system, like you suggested.  (But they probably didn't do this because that would twice the work going forward, and would probably be very difficult to implement). THat said, they could have just updated the Whims system to include all the missing packs and new gameplay and a lot of people would have been ok with that! 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 18 of 19 (407 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I completely agree with all your comments x

Message 19 of 19 (381 Views)